Does General scale really badly? (1 Viewer)

rowdyroddy

HSC
hi well for one, i dont agree with using names to bully eachother on the internet...cyberbullying is actually a crime.
Also for the comment "if you're good at maths and you do general you're a tard"
well for one you're just weird for using the word tard
and two, my brother was smart at maths, and did general maths, and got 90% in the overall general maths score....his U.A.I, including general maths was 98.85.
So clearly this shows, that you can do general maths and go extremely well. It just depends on how much effort you put into it.
yeh cyberbullying is a crime, im an online detective

HSC
N/A
are you intellectually lacking? I clearly know more than you yr 9 kid.

You don't clearly know anything about alinging/scaling procedure that takes place.

Have a nice look at scaling report (esp 2008 one). about 45% of 2 unit students got over 80 aligned mark compared with about 5% of general students who got over 90.

80 in maths doesn't mean 80% in the paper rather you only need like 70/120 or thereabout to get that mark whereas in general, you might need like mid 80 to high 80 raw to get 90 aligned in general.

So it's not necessarily easier to get 90 in general you sped. If that's the case, most people only doing 2 unit would have transferred to general. And from what you are saying, topping general will give you good scaled mark. No it fucking doesn't. scaled mark about 45/50 is poor. About 5% of 2 unit students = 900 people get that mark and over whereas only one person in general or (top 5) get that mark or thereabout.

So if you are good at maths, and if you do general, you are the most retarded guy out there. But it won't apply to you because you are obviously quite shit at maths.

BTW most band 6s in general = shit scaled.

The next time you call me bullshit, back it up with some official stats. Whose post looks more reliable here: your arrogant post against my post backed up with some official data?

Please post some quality posts with some quality info. Don't brag about your lack of knowledge.

Fucking legend :rofl:

byrnesie

HSC
guys i know nothing about scaling, I don't think anyone really knows how it works because everyone is just taking stabs at each other and saying different things about it. best bet, compare the two marks in that atar calculator. see if they are different, see what happens. I get the impression that IF the canditure of the state does poorly in general maths, getting maybe around 60 or 70 or so, then as long as you get a good bit over that you wont get scaled down. heres a true example though. my mate did general maths, got in the 90s, UAI of 98.7. Take what you want from that, that sounds pretty fine to me. do well in any subject and you will kill the hsc, regardless of the misconceptions of scaling. however, i think that if you are working hard to get a 60 for advanced maths, and it is taking away from the scores of your other subjects, you should do general.

discuss. take some stabs at me if you must, thats just the way I interpret it.

byrnesie

HSC
oh and by the way, I changed to general from doing advanced in year 11, and it seems for me to be the best decision i made as i am doing well at it + i can max out my scores in other subjects. truth is dont kill yourself for advanced maths if your not good at maths, its not worth it I don't think. thats just how i interpret scaling and all.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
guys i know nothing about scaling, I don't think anyone really knows how it works because everyone is just taking stabs at each other and saying different things about it. best bet, compare the two marks in that atar calculator. see if they are different, see what happens. I get the impression that IF the canditure of the state does poorly in general maths, getting maybe around 60 or 70 or so, then as long as you get a good bit over that you wont get scaled down. heres a true example though. my mate did general maths, got in the 90s, UAI of 98.7. Take what you want from that, that sounds pretty fine to me. do well in any subject and you will kill the hsc, regardless of the misconceptions of scaling. however, i think that if you are working hard to get a 60 for advanced maths, and it is taking away from the scores of your other subjects, you should do general.

discuss. take some stabs at me if you must, thats just the way I interpret it.
yes that is right. You can do well in your HSC even if a subjects scales crap but your marks in your other subjects must be very very good.
in saying that, if Advanced Maths isn't your cup of tea, then it's better to do General, provided that you can make up for the loss in scaling by doing comparatively well in your other subjects.

Macdwg

Professional Mad Lad
HSC
Actaually even if you get 100 aligned in General Maths it scales down to 91. So yes it scales terribly.
Nah. Wrong. It caps out at 99.1 aggregate. I think you were confused. A 100 in ADV English for example would cap at 100.

Moneyequalmarks

HSC
the fact of the matter is that if you are doing general maths, the scaling should be the least of your worries...no amount of scaling is going to save you from the fact that you are so mentally incapable that you cannot understand concepts beyond general maths ie past addition and subtraction

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Nah. Wrong. It caps out at 99.1 aggregate. I think you were confused. A 100 in ADV English for example would cap at 100.
no he was right. it goes down to 91 and yes thats around 99.1 aggregate average. i think YOU are confused.

LORDYgordy

HSC
So why do people continue to do this subject if its 'better to not do any maths at all'?

As in, if ppl are only capable of doing gen maths level, why do they even choose the subject in the first place? Such people may find their talents are more suited to things like english, history etc

byrnesie

HSC
the fact of the matter is that if you are doing general maths, the scaling should be the least of your worries...no amount of scaling is going to save you from the fact that you are so mentally incapable that you cannot understand concepts beyond general maths ie past addition and subtraction

haha thanks mate! aren't you lovely. I go to a selective school so I am not mentally incapable at all, furthermore I was already accepted into University through early entry. the reason I picked up general is because throughout advanced maths I was always thinking to myself "this is useless, this is useless" and subsequently i did quite poorly. all im saying is, i know it doesn't scale down badly enough to bring your uai down IF you do quite well in it compared to how the rest of the state goes, which isn't that good. ill use the same example again, my mate did general and got a uai of 98.7, and this happens more often then you think. This is where you can see that it takes some mental capacity to figure out how the system ACTUALLY works, and not worry about scaling saving you because sometimes it doesn't. but yeah if you are good at maths, do advanced. haha.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
no he was right. it goes down to 91 and yes thats around 99.1 aggregate average. i think YOU are confused.
+1

So why do people continue to do this subject if its 'better to not do any maths at all'?

As in, if ppl are only capable of doing gen maths level, why do they even choose the subject in the first place? Such people may find their talents are more suited to things like english, history etc
Probably because the uni degree they want to do needs any 2 units of maths, or there's nothing else on that subject line that they like.

emma211

HSC
general maths is the bomb
not everyone who does it, thinks "maths is useless"
general maths is particularly relevant to every day things and if you can do well in it, go for it.

K

Kozak92

Cause we fucked up our subject choices and the only way to fix our maths results were to drop down to general. I had to drop engineering as I hated it and was stuck with Maths 2U which I couldn't apply myself to.

Why I chose engineering? Cause people told me it scaled well and I would have to do subjects that scale well to do well at the HSC whether I enjoy them or not.

HSC
Uni Grad
qft

ilikebeeef

HSC
Yes, general maths scales badly.

I reckon some aspects of General Maths is actually harder than 2 unit. E.g. Wtf is with these distribution tables and statistics? Sounds like an easier version of actuarial studies! And spherical geometry?? :\

But then, the rest of Gen maths are just easy stuff...

Meh, I don't go general.

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
Nothing scales 'Bad' unless you want it to be.

mioumiou

HSC
Even though General scales very badly but there's still chances of getting a Band 6 if you worked extremely hard!!

ilikebeeef

HSC
Nothing scales 'Bad' unless you want it to be.
The truth is; not really.

General Maths always scales down no matter what.

Even though General scales very badly but there's still chances of getting a Band 6 if you worked extremely hard!!
Yes there is a chance. If you get a state ranking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)