• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do you write notes? (poll included) (1 Viewer)

Do you write notes as part of your study routine?

• Total voters

-maddie-

HSC
I write up summaries on the weekend of what we have done in class the previous week.

imoO

HSC
Notes for phys n chem.

just questions for maths, with like a little formula book

nothing but newspapers for eco <--literally....

eng...just read the text...and wing it on the day!

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
imoO said:
Notes for phys n chem.

just questions for maths, with like a little formula book

nothing but newspapers for eco <--literally....

eng...just read the text...and wing it on the day!
Yeah I think questions for maths is a good idea. Usually when I find a 'unique' maths question - I try and memorise it and the methods which were needed to solve it.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
By the way, guys, when you write notes do you have any techniques that you incorporate?

My tip for notes especially for sciences are to:
  • write dot-point notes which are concise and never go beyond 1-2 lines.
  • refer to syllabi all the times.
  • write them in your own words.
  • and if you can, write them using pen/pencils.
Any other tips????

Please share them here!!!

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
By the way, guys, when you write notes do you have any techniques that you incorporate?

My tip for notes especially for sciences are to:
  • write dot-point notes which are concise and never go beyond 1-2 lines.
  • refer to syllabi all the times.
  • write them in your own words.
  • and if you can, write them using pen/pencils.
Any other tips????

Please share them here!!!
Lol I write my notes much differently to you. For the sciences what I do is create a table with each and every dot point (even the skills and right hand column ones). Then I answer them as if they were HSC questions. I answer them as if they were horrible over-inflated in terms of marks, and appropiately according to the key word. It gets really really long sometimes. For example, I tihnk in total my Physics notes are about 40,000 words long. (oh and i type them btw). It takes a long time to get done but i think it's been effective for me.
In english what i do is write entire essays. get them revised at leasr 6 times until I'm pretty sure they're full marks or close. Then memorise em. I know memorising is frowned upon but if your essay is good enough then you can work it to fit any question pretty much, unless it's 100% specific (in which case the rest of the cohort is screwed anyway).
For maths all i do is past papers.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
Lol I write my notes much differently to you. For the sciences what I do is create a table with each and every dot point (even the skills and right hand column ones). Then I answer them as if they were HSC questions. I answer them as if they were horrible over-inflated in terms of marks, and appropiately according to the key word. It gets really really long sometimes. For example, I tihnk in total my Physics notes are about 40,000 words long. (oh and i type them btw). It takes a long time to get done but i think it's been effective for me.
In english what i do is write entire essays. get them revised at leasr 6 times until I'm pretty sure they're full marks or close. Then memorise em. I know memorising is frowned upon but if your essay is good enough then you can work it to fit any question pretty much, unless it's 100% specific (in which case the rest of the cohort is screwed anyway).
Actually, I like that. I like how you do your notes! That's very impressive to be honest. I will see if I can do that.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
only did notes in lead up to HSC (all subjects) apart from Chem, which I'd done notes for the first 2 modules before half yearlies and did 3rd module & option notes in lead up to HSC.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
With my notes I handwrote all of them twice, and then typed SOME (not all, mainly the ones I felt weren't cememnted in my mind enough).
Also My notes were a combination of Premium notes/Excel/Macquarie/Answers from past papers/class notes/stuff I already knew.

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
Actually, I like that. I like how you do your notes! That's very impressive to be honest. I will see if I can do that.
Lol have fun, it takes me ages. Most of my holidays are spent writing these notes for the upcoming term =S And i use like at least 5/6sources for each

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
lol. ALSO. Chem (my only science) was dot point by dot point. Subheadings (sections) usually took around 3 or 4 pages of tiny handwriting. each module was around 20 pages.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
I am just looking over your statement again.

So you make a table for all dot points and put stuff in? Can you please show me a sample if you don't mind? I want to learn from a genius like you...

If you cannot do it on here, can you send me a sample through my email lyoo01@yahoo.com.au ???

Thanks.

melaniestrollll

not really a troll
HSC
being a music student, i SING my notes onto a recorder and play them continuously. lalalalalala

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
melaniestrollll said:
being a music student, i SING my notes onto a recorder and play them continuously. lalalalalala
That's not too bad. I am being serious by the way.

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
I am just looking over your statement again.

So you make a table for all dot points and put stuff in? Can you please show me a sample if you don't mind? I want to learn from a genius like you...

If you cannot do it on here, can you send me a sample through my email lyoo01@yahoo.com.au ???

Thanks.
sent. =P

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
Thank you so much!! You are a legend. That's a really good note by the way. If I did Chemistry, I would have bought one! Anyway, thanks for that. Now I know how to make one.

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
I made them for Society because the syllabus was easy to work from but now I only do it for Modern, some key points in EngAdv and MAX2.

It works fine if the syllabus is geared towards notes (sciences etc) but otherwise it seems a bit unnecessary. I definitely prefer practice questions (even though I hate sitting down to write out practice essays). When I do make them I prefer typed over handwritten because I want to want to read them over and over with ease, not struggle through my crazy scrawl :).

And all of this is reminding me that I've got revision to do :(:(.

kaytee91

HSC
yea i try to write my own notes, without the computer
helps me to remember better :)

johony

HSC
i do sometimes when i feel the need, and i always write them out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)