Do you lose marks for having 2 related texts? (1 Viewer)

matthewtjz

HSC
hopefully the BOS will at least consider and give some sort of advantage to all the people that actually read the question and had to screw their 3rd text and made up a completely new paragraph. Or else it will be just too unfair if they were to mark those essays with 2 related texts without discrimination.

sam5

HSC
hopefully the BOS will at least consider and give some sort of advantage to all the people that actually read the question and had to screw their 3rd text and made up a completely new paragraph. Or else it will be just too unfair if they were to mark those essays with 2 related texts without discrimination.
heres how i see it.

The question asked for ONE supp text, not AT LEAST ONE. Therefore pple who did more than 1 did not answer the question properly and thus should lose marks.

Its just like if u decided to answer a completely different thesis in the essay as to what was asked for.

six demon bag

HSC
I was so angry about that question. Our whole year we'd been doing practice essays on two - no one even told us that they may not ask us to use the two. No one in our english class even picked up on it until a girl looked at the exam paper after the test. Why the fuck would they do that? That's not testing to see who's put in more effort, that's just fucking students over for being prepared. If I lose marks significantly, I'll be a sad, angry panda.

six demon bag

HSC
You're right but it was a dumb question in any case. haha. I'm just hoping I had enough content on core/related to get me through! If that even matters.

q3thefish

HSC
Too bad your teacher isn't on the BoS. People have called up BoS and they've said that second relateds will be marked.
Are you absolutely certain? Because if it's true then thank the heavens ahah

If they don't mark it..effectively 1/3 of my essay would be non-existent T.T

pianoman_73

HSC
one thing they were really trying to crack down on this year was people using prepared responses and making sure everybody answered the question. so if people didn't read the question, by putting in two related texts, doesn't that mean they didn't answer the question? i think it's a big thing just to ignore the question and put two down anyway. but since, from what i hear, quite a few people have written two anyway, so they might not punish as hard.

La Bomba

HSC
Deputy Principal at my school said that the people who used 2 texts will at max get 12/15, it will keep them out of the A range because they ignored a part of the question. How does she know this? (She has been HSC marker). So hope this clears things up.

La Bomba

HSC
and pianoman yes they will punish just as hard, if not harder due to peoples inability to read the question.

mupy

HSC
Um, how will anyone ever know if they lost marks for this particular essay when they finally get their HSC marks?
well - usually in the marker centres' comments & notes that they release..they might mention whether marks were deducted from writing about two related texts. but by the time we get our results..surely all of this will have been forgotten.

elliotkool

HSC
This:

Too bad your teacher isn't on the BoS. People have called up BoS and they've said that second relateds will be marked.

There's a Business Studies forum.
isnt that unfair to the students who actually wrote on one related text?... =[
people who actually read and obeyed instructions..zzzz

chuboy

HSC
I don't think it affected anyone in our class, because we get taught in the weeks up the exam on how to break down and analyse the question so that we could answer it in the most efficient way =)

PaulFrankkie

HSC
but how would they judge which 1 is your 2nd related text?...
It's the consensus that the first related text that appears in your essay will be the one marked.

.. unless BoS choose the unfair option and mark the better one.

Last edited:

NoName91

HSC
I feel that the biggest issue here is that, for most people, one related text simply cannot cover all the possible arguments and ideas for your essay. This is why the assumption has always been to have two. I used two related texts. Fine, shoot me. But using just one of my related texts simply couldn't cover all my arguments, and I'm sure there are others who may have felt this.

The fact is that I don't really care about it anymore and I agree that those who read the question, unlike myself, deserve the better marks. I just wasn't able to make my essay work without two.

Everyone should just study for tomorrow... and think about never having to do english again!

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Okay I just called up the Board of Studies (unhelpful son of a bitches)
To be honest, the guy was pretty patient since I kept asking virtually the same question over and over.
This is how it went:
Me: So how is section 3 going to be marked for the people that wrote 2 related texts?
Dude: The marking centre will be briefed on the situation and the papers will be marked accordingly.
Me: ..What? So what does that actually mean?
Dude: Well this matter is up to the marking centre, but what I can say is that you won't be directly penalised for using 2 related texts (goes on to explain positive marking). The responses will be marked according to their quality.
Me: Okay so people that used 2 won't be penalised, but are they still going to be marked normally? (Do you see what I mean by me asking the same question over and over)
Dude: The marking centre is going to have a briefing since lots of students wrote one related text and lots wrote two. Then depending on the quality of the response, they will mark the responses accordingly.
Me: ..Wait so if it's all the same marking as always, isn't that unfair for people that wrote one related?
Dude: Did you write two or one?
Me: One.
Dude: Okay, in that case your response will be much more in depth then people with one related text and that will be taken into consideration when being marked.
Me: Riiiiight..
Dude: Would you like to speak to someone else?
Me: Nokthxbai

TL;DR they're going to have a 'formal briefing' with the markers as to how to handle the situation (we don't know what's going to be said at the briefing). Both related texts will be read and taken into consideration. Since the question only requires one related text, generally speaking people that used one will have better quality/greater in-depth responses (due to the amount you can write in 40 minutes) and hence, will be marked higher than people that wrote about two (because you're giving less quality and unnecessary quantity). So if you wrote two but you wrote really damn good then it will get 15/15, it's just harder because people that wrote one have more analysis on each text.

TL;DR you won't be penalised directly, only in that your responses may be weaker in quality than people that wrote one related text

TL;DR relax

La Bomba

HSC
NO NO NO. i have explained, a hsc marker who is the deputy principal told me, that no if u have 2 related texts wen it asked for one, at max u will get 12/15. case closed. its because whoever used 2 did not answer the question.

La Bomba

HSC
boardofstudies is just giving that load of bs so noone panics who wrote 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)