Do you lose marks for having 2 related texts? (1 Viewer)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I had some extra time and thought why not. But now I'm pretty worried.

edit: It has been settled that you won't be disadvantaged and the people who don't agree are fucken douches.

Now stop reading this thread and start studying for SOR, IPT or English Paper 2.

Last edited:

untouchablecuz

HSC
i woudn't say lose marks

just wouldn't be marked on the second cause it said specifically, "and ONE related text"

bmn

HSC
I'm not sure, but you wouldn't lose marks. I don't think the 2nd related text would get marked at all though.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
I think they just completely ignore everything in your essay about the second related text.
Had to change like 70-80% of my memorised essay to adapt to the question and the related text thing :(

Scinery

HSC
I think this is the question on MANY people's lips atm. Heaps of people read it as "at least one" and some people didn't read that part at all.

I saw the "one" and thought fuck no itll be way too short.

i don't think they will DETRACT marks, but theres a possibility that they will disregard the second one or the worser one.

boxhunter91

HSC
Well i intepreted as ONE text not at least one.
So i had to remove about 400 words from my essay and extend it a bit.
I chose to remove the shit related text and so i could slam the other.
They won't deduct marks for a second just mark the prescribed + first related text.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
They will definitely not give you any marks at all for anything you write on the second text.
I spent around 5 minutes planning on how I could adapt and extend my essay, ended up making it too long (hah)

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
to be very honest.. i think it's only fair you get deducted marks if u do more than one because:

1) even though i had a memorised essay with 3 related texts, I managed to write a really shit roughly 800 word essay and its not fair that someone who writes on 2 with a lot less depth gets more marks than me
2) you completely ignored the question and showed u depend purely on memory...the question probably was very purposely worded that way to break the memory habit

sorry but i think its only fair :/

nada92

Gotti Teiknadi <3
HSC
fucken hell, i so need to L2READ
same here... only i'm more of an idiot, as I did it just then... and in my trials! i failed to read the question for the creative writing section, and only based my story on the pictures they gave us.. FMLFMLFMLFMLFMLFML i'm so stupid.

Scinery

HSC
to be very honest.. i think it's only fair you get deducted marks if u do more than one because:

1) even though i had a memorised essay with 3 related texts, I managed to write a really shit roughly 800 word essay and its not fair that someone who writes on 2 with a lot less depth gets more marks than me
2) you completely ignored the question and showed u depend purely on memory...the question probably was very purposely worded that way to break the memory habit

sorry but i think its only fair :/
Yeah, it was definitely a smart tactic on the board's part, because you need to know your text well and not rely on a memorized response.

even then, theres no such thing as "Deducting Marks". You'll be marked on the same criteria but they'll look at only the first text. I wrote a booklet and a half so HOPEFULLY there's enough to get me 13

Nuclear

HSC
AHHH how did I not read that?!?!?!

Since so many people did it, maybe they won't mark down?

Heshy

HSC
ur an idiot lol, an 800 word essay is horrible

so i did 2 related texts, i was debating about it in my reading time, but new my essay would struggle with one

my essay was about 1000 words, 200 on each related so if they dont read it, still an 800 word essay

but i doubt theyll do that... the board doesnt rly wanna screw up all the marks for the first year of belonging, so theyll mark, although less leniently

also our school was told always do 2 related texts, so yeah our 5 band sixes last year are probably gonna disappear haha, bb rank 34

but yeah im just gonna call up the thingo 2 confirm ill post what they say

youngminii

Banned
HSC
What don't you understand? They won't directly mark you down, they won't directly mark down anyone. Nobody will 'lose' marks.
But the markers will completely ignore what they wrote about their second text, hence they wasted time and their essays will be incomplete. In this way, they lose marks, in the sense that they won't gain the marks that they normally would have.
Isn't it common sense?

jellybelly59

HSC
what don't you understand? They won't directly mark you down, they won't directly mark down anyone. Nobody will 'lose' marks.
But the markers will completely ignore what they wrote about their second text, hence they wasted time and their essays will be incomplete. In this way, they lose marks, in the sense that they won't gain the marks that they normally would have.
Isn't it common sense?

+1

Nuclear

HSC
What don't you understand? They won't directly mark you down, they won't directly mark down anyone. Nobody will 'lose' marks.
Isn't it common sense?
Ease up. People (like me) are just freaking out a bit.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Can someone giv me the exact wording of the question? I'm pretty curious.

And lol, marking someone down for totally relying on memory - hey kiddo, half the state does their shitty memorised essays and so did you.

NVM Found it :

I don't know how you guys could've missed it that they only asked for one?

Heck I'd be cheering if they asked for one lololol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)