Do you lose marks for having 2 related texts? (1 Viewer)

kwokie

HSC
didnt the question ask for one? i suppose u would get more marks if u did more than one.

xBecx

HSC
lol. This has gone on so long and gotten so pathetic that now its funny. all our arguing isn't going to change what the BOS decides to do about it. Just let this thread die already.

heli.copter

HSC
i agree with ^^ i mean honestly.

its not like you can do anything

so shut the FUCK up. :mad1:

goodness. instead of talking about this you should all be studying for exams. far out.

wasting energy much

goodluck all :)

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
How I think this should be resolved:

Two people who are equally good at English do paper 1.

All their vocabulary/sentence structure and ability to communicate ideas is at the same level.

Bianca writes 60% of essay on prescribed text(s). The other 40% is on TWO related texts.

Mike write 60% of essay on prescribed text(s). The other 40% is on ONE related text.

Both candidates get awarded 10 marks for their prescribed texts through positive marking.

Mike gets awarded another 4 marks for his related text, as the related text is in-depth and covers most aspects.

Therefore Mike gets 14/15.

The marker reads BOTH related texts for Bianca and decides which one will earn the candidate the most marks. Through positive marking, the marker takes into account the depth of that ONE related text, awarding marks accordingly (while the marker does take into consideration the fact she wrote TWO related texts, the marker should not award marks for both).

Bianca gets awarded another 2 marks for one of her related texts, as although it covered many issues, it did not have as much depth as Mike's.

Therefore Bianca gets 12/15.

This is fair as Mike read the question correctly, while Bianca did not. Also, Mike demonstrates an ability to analyse ONE text in-depth, while Bianca only demonstrated that she could analyse TWO related texts relatively well.

This is also fair as a student who excels in English and writes TWO in-depth related texts, they can still receive full marks if ONE of their related texts is as in-depth as those who wrote ONE related text and got full marks.

Basically it all comes down to quality.

If someone writes two very good (90% of analysis is good) related texts, and someone else writes one satisfactory related text (75% of analysis is good) - then the person with two related texts will still score higher than the person with one - based on the overall quality of ONE of their related texts.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

All their vocabulary/sentence structure and ability to communicate ideas is at the same level.

Bianca writes 60% of essay on prescribed text(s). The other 40% is on TWO related texts.

Mike write 60% of essay on prescribed text(s). The other 40% is on ONE related text.

Both candidates get awarded 10 marks for their related texts through positive marking.

Mike gets awarded another 4 marks for his related text, as the related text is in-depth and covers most aspects.

The marker reads BOTH related texts for Bianca and decides which one will earn the candidate the most marks. Through positive marking, the marker takes into account the depth of that ONE related text, awarding marks accordingly (while the marker does take into consideration the fact she wrote TWO related texts, the marker should not award marks for both).

Bianca gets awarded another 2 marks for one of her related texts, as although it covered many issues, it did not have as much depth as Mike's.

This is fair as Mike read the question correctly, while Bianca did not. Also, Mike demonstrates an ability to analyse ONE text in-depth, while Bianca only demonstrated that she could analyse TWO related texts relatively well.

This is also fair as a student who excels in English and writes TWO in-depth related texts, they can still receive full marks if ONE of their related texts is as in-depth as those who wrote ONE related text and got full marks.

If someone writes two very good (90% of analysis is good) related texts, and someone else writes one satisfactory related text (75% of analysis is good) - then the person with two related texts will still score higher than the person with one - based on the overall quality of ONE of their related texts.
To my understanding, that's the way it's going to bed. You deserve some rep for making sense.

martinc

HSC
I've asked a teacher and she said they will talk it over and decide what to do. She believes it is probably that they will select whichever related text was done better, and ignore the other completely. Since the argument with be more like 60% prescribed and 20% related, as the person above stated, this imbalance she said, will lead to lost of marks as well as it should be a close to a 50/50 essay.

zaefr

HSC

Both candidates get awarded 10 marks for their prescribed texts through positive marking.

is mike's last name cockerts?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I've asked a teacher and she said they will talk it over and decide what to do. She believes it is probably that they will select whichever related text was done better, and ignore the other completely. Since the argument with be more like 60% prescribed and 20% related, as the person above stated, this imbalance she said, will lead to lost of marks as well as it should be a close to a 50/50 essay.
I doubt many people that did 1 related did 50-50 anyway. I know I didn't.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Lol what are you talking about?
It's been decided, people that wrote two related texts will have both marked.
No, not "consider both, mark one and ignore the other",
But "mark both".

Meh at this point I don't give a shit
Stupid BoS

megaman

HSC
Hrrm Im fairly sure that everyone who didnt read the question probably or decided to waffle on with another related text that wasnt requested when they found they had time left over because they fail at actually knowing their related texts in depth. Well they fail at life. It english and you cant even determine a question correctly, and some of the people who have been posting on this thread are either trolls or so stupid and self deceptive they deserve to be put down.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hrrm Im fairly sure that everyone who didnt read the question probably or decided to waffle on with another related text that wasnt requested when they found they had time left over because they fail at actually knowing their related texts in depth. Well they fail at life. It english and you cant even determine a question correctly, and some of the people who have been posting on this thread are either trolls or so stupid and self deceptive they deserve to be put down.
Hmm yeah. Just cause someone misread a question in their HSC, means they fail at life. :rolleyes:

littlemissbossy

HSC
You won't lose marks, you just don't get marked on the second text you mentioned.
If you wrote an integrated essay I'd say that you're probably in a little bit more trouble than those who didn't.
Unfortunately the markers won't take into consideration which text is stronger.
They don't have the time to sit there and fiigure it out.

That's my two cents.

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
why did u bump this shit
your 'two cents' has been repeated throughout this terrible thread

Schoey93

HSC
Be nice... I think it's a shame that the BOS has decided to mark the question as though it said "at least one related text" when it specified only one. The marking process shouldn't be changed just because students aren't skilled enough to adapt their prepared essays. English shouldn't be all about prepared essays anyway... what happened to thinking on your feet?

I wonder what's required of English students at universities... surely they wouldn't memorise essays for exams? Maybe their course is assignment-based ... ?

Schoey93

HSC
I haven't read the BOS letter. I'm not in Year 12, so I didn't receive one. Can you send me a link? I have just gone off what people have said on BoS and SMH.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)