Retired
HSC
N/A
Gay Captain said:
wait until you hit fourier analysis and laplace transforms -_-
I'm just going to pretend I even know what they are. :p

chltmddus112

HSC
I love Maths cuz i dont need to memorise alot of things like other subjects hehe =)

and there are not much English (reading, memorising...etc) involved. You just need to do questions to study. This is why i love maths =)

bored of sc

HSC
Maths is logical, fact-based, methodical, memory-based (sometimes) and there is no fluff *cough* english *cough*. End of discussion.
P.S Checks poll. 3/4 of those surveyed like the subject. :)

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Maths is not my fav because there are particular questions that you cannot really get even though you work your ass off. It's either you get it or not.

bored of sc

HSC
lyounamu said:
It's either you get it or not.
I'd argue the exact same thing with an english text. I read John Donne's 'The Flea' and the teacher kindly told me "you're missing the point". It wasn't a simple misunderstanding, it was the fact that I could not understand the language due to it's expression.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
I'd argue the exact same thing with an english text. I read John Donne's 'The Flea' and the teacher kindly told me "you're missing the point". It wasn't a simple misunderstanding, it was the fact that I could not understand the language due to it's expression.
Look at 4 unit and you willl see that the trend is more prevalent in maths than in English.

bored of sc

HSC
lyounamu said:
Look at 4 unit and you willl see that the trend is more prevalent in maths than in English.
But the nature of extension 2 maths is being challenged to your very limits, not getting 100% on every test. With english it is essential that you understand everything so you can write effective texts in your exams. With maths there will questions that you will leave unsolved and that's just how it is. You are correct but I just wanted to clear up what I believe about maths in comparison to english.

HSC
Love it (i do general). Class is awesome and i can do it too, so yeah.

darusan92

HSC
Maths economics business studies and physics are probably the only subjects that i like to study!!!!!

Im pretty sure that except for 5 people in my grade no one would do english if it wasnt compulsory!!!!!!!!

And like almost everyone in my grade does maths except for lik 7 or 8 poeple!!!!! that probably shows how many people in my grade love maths over english!!!!

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
darusan92 said:
Maths economics business studies and physics are probably the only subjects that i like to study!!!!!

Im pretty sure that except for 5 people in my grade no one would do english if it wasnt compulsory!!!!!!!!

And like almost everyone in my grade does maths except for lik 7 or 8 poeple!!!!! that probably shows how many people in my grade love maths over english!!!!
That's probably because they are generally based on logic and can be used in real life... no bullshit - just facts.

jellybelly59

HSC
the-derivative said:
That's probably because they are generally based on logic and can be used in real life... no bullshit - just facts.
wait how exactly would you utilise physics in real life? like calculate the force and speed someone is pushing the trolley when im at the supermarket :p... LOL

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
jellybelly59 said:
wait how exactly would you utilise physics in real life? like calculate the force and speed someone is pushing the trolley when im at the supermarket :p... LOL
Don't you calculate the force of pushing our trolley?
Man - what DO you do in your life? :p

Nah but it's the theory content which is mainly applicable... for example electricity and also safety devices in cars and stuff.

Finx

HSC
I can already see the outcome of this thread.

Maths Lovers: Lol English is bullshit, all they do is express themselves in essays, creative writing, shit that you don't use in real life.

English Lovers: I HATE maths. HATE HATE HATE! SUCKED IN, I GET TO DROP IT. LOLOLOL.

Fence sitters: I don't mind either. They're ok.

From the trend in the poll results, most of 09 BoS are maths lovers. I think there's about a 40-60 YES/NO (respectively) in the "Do you like english?" thread, and a current 70-30 YES/NO in this one.

Further arguing the point will cause forum trolls to rage and cause further argument. Vicious cycle, no?

And to the maths lovers, just because the stats on this site swing towards maths, doesn't mean maths > english. It's a never-ending debate, like Science vs Religion.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Haha, that sounds about right Finx. :p
And yeah, woot for fence sitters. :)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Finx said:
I can already see the outcome of this thread.

Maths Lovers: Lol English is bullshit, all they do is express themselves in essays, creative writing, shit that you don't use in real life.

English Lovers: I HATE maths. HATE HATE HATE! SUCKED IN, I GET TO DROP IT. LOLOLOL.

Fence sitters: I don't mind either. They're ok.

From the trend in the poll results, most of 09 BoS are maths lovers. I think there's about a 40-60 YES/NO (respectively) in the "Do you like english?" thread, and a current 70-30 YES/NO in this one.

Further arguing the point will cause forum trolls to rage and cause further argument. Vicious cycle, no?

And to the maths lovers, just because the stats on this site swing towards maths, doesn't mean maths > english. It's a never-ending debate, like Science vs Religion.
soz mate but maths > english.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)