• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do you like maths? (1 Viewer)

Do you like maths?

• Yes

Votes: 329 69.9%
  • No

Votes: 142 30.1%

• Total voters

shaon0

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: Do you like maths?

lolokay said:
most people won't use most of the maths we learn in their lifetime, but the problem solving skills can always come in handy
yeah the problem solving abilities come in handy buut there are otherways to build that up

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

lolokay said:
imo circle geometry is pretty good. it makes you think about stuff like 'why would that be true', 'how would I prove it', 'what else must be true if it is true' etc.
that kind of thinking/visualising would almost certainly have applications

the only possible downside is if they mark you down for writing out your reasoning/theorems incorrectly
Yeah, I don't question its awesomeness. But I question is level of relevance.

I like the topic because it's pretty fun once you get the hang of it. But yeah, I tend to look at the relevance aspect as well.

And yeah! I hate it when they mark you off for not writing the rule correctly. My friend worded it differently (slightly) and got it entirely wrong despite being quite correct in his path of logic. Glad that I copied the rules word to word from the textbook...lol

shaon0

HSC

lyounamu said:
Yeah, I don't question its awesomeness. But I question is level of relevance.

I like the topic because it's pretty fun once you get the hang of it. But yeah, I tend to look at the relevance aspect as well.

And yeah! I hate it when they mark you off for not writing the rule correctly. My friend worded it differently (slightly) and got it entirely wrong despite being quite correct in his path of logic. Glad that I copied the rules word to word from the textbook...lol
your friend should've protested, you shouldn't be required to memorise all the rules word for word or it'll be testing your memory and not your logic.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

shaon0 said:
your friend should've protested, you shouldn't be required to memorise all the rules word for word or it'll be testing your memory and not your logic.
Well, the reason why he lost mark was quite accceptable. I mean, he sort of babbled on about it and well, yeah. It was quite confusing.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

shaon0 said:
Yeah, its pretty stupid. they should have taken it out years ago. I've asked a few people what the applications of circle geometry are and they've said that it can be used in physics ie. orbits, reflective properties etc and in electronics
I thought it would be used in satellites because of the tangent and chord stuff.

jules.09

HSC

the-derivative said:
LOL - that is the stupidest topic in Maths.

I learnt it in Year 9 though...
Lol, I taught it to myself in year 8 so now my reasons are slightly.. - shifty -.

Anyway the new maths syllabus will involve taking out CONICS from mx2, which has got to be the most pointless and mundane topic ever! and replacing it with extended calculus. Which sounds rather awesomely pragmatic!

Apparently 2 unit will be much harder than it is now, where algebraic skills and the like are treated as assumed knowledge instead of wasting time in year 11 sifting through it again. Stats will be introduced, which I'm glad us '09ers do NOT have to do. :cool:

I don't remember the teacher saying too much is to change in mx1 math.

But yeah, sounds pretty interesting. It's taken decades for such an amendment.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

jules.09 said:
Lol, I taught it to myself in year 8 so now my reasons are slightly.. - shifty -.

Anyway the new maths syllabus will involve taking out CONICS from mx2, which has got to be the most pointless and mundane topic ever! and replacing it with extended calculus. Which sounds rather awesomely pragmatic!

Apparently 2 unit will be much harder than it is now, where algebraic skills and the like are treated as assumed knowledge instead of wasting time in year 11 sifting through it again. Stats will be introduced, which I'm glad us '09ers do NOT have to do. :cool:

I don't remember the teacher saying too much is to change in mx1 math.

But yeah, sounds pretty interesting. It's taken decades for such an amendment.
That's a shame. You can get really high marks in the first exam in year 11 which is mainly composed of Algebraic Skills.

jules.09

HSC

kaz1 said:
That's a shame. You can get really high marks in the first exam in year 11 which is mainly composed of Algebraic Skills.
Thats a good point. Nonetheless, you'd want to advance these kids and motivate them academically.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Yeah, wooot for no statistics. :)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

jules.09 said:
Thats a good point. Nonetheless, you'd want to advance these kids and motivate them academically.
Not really - I don't think taking algebra out of Maths will motivate them.
Also many students sitting 2U are only sitting 2U because they are not capable of doing Extension subjects - therefore by taking algebra out - you're just giving them a greater disadvantage.

ratcher0071

HSC

the-derivative said:
Not really - I don't think taking algebra out of Maths will motivate them.
Also many students sitting 2U are only sitting 2U because they are not capable of doing Extension subjects - therefore by taking algebra out - you're just giving them a greater disadvantage.
Yeah I agree. I thought algebra was the lifeblood of mathematics. Without algebra there's nothing. :D

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

ratcher0071 said:
Yeah I agree. I thought algebra was the lifeblood of mathematics. Without algebra there's nothing. :D
+1

I thought that too. If they take out algebra, wth are these kids going to learn? Everything has algebra in it .. I don't think I haven't done one question in a 2u exam without dividing both sides by x or something of that sort.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Doctor Jolly said:
+1

I thought that too. If they take out algebra, wth are these kids going to learn? Everything has algebra in it .. I don't think I haven't done one question in a 2u exam without dividing both sides by x or something of that sort.
Nah, they just won't re-teach algebra, they'll assume the kids already know it and they won't worry about the first topic in 2U.

shaon0

HSC

kaz1 said:
I thought it would be used in satellites because of the tangent and chord stuff.
last time i checked satellites usually orbit a planet.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

shaon0 said:
last time i checked satellites usually orbit a planet.
Last time I checked a planet is usually circular in shape.

shaon0

HSC

Charity F said:
*spherical

orbits are elliptical

aaand it's probably used in measuring distances, etc. e.g. parallax
kepler's laws.

Pacchiru

like bonnie and clyde
HSC
i liked maths back when i did the s.c.

*sighs*

got so much harder this year. :(

thus, started to hate it.

jules.09

HSC

the-derivative said:
Nah, they just won't re-teach algebra, they'll assume the kids already know it and they won't worry about the first topic in 2U.
Yeah. They assume. But I mean the only thing that was new say in first chapter of Cambridge was the cubic identities and solving equations with 3 variables.

That should be taught in a lesson. :cool:

shaon0

HSC

kaz1 said:
Last time I checked a planet is usually circular in shape.
yeah kind of right (they are spherical) as Charity F pointed out, and satellites orbit planets.

Last edited:

jules.09

HSC
Pacchiru said:
i liked maths back when i did the s.c.

*sighs*

got so much harder this year. :(

thus, started to hate it.
Are you serious?

Senior math > Junior math

It's actually fun and a challenge (relatively) for once, with more practical purpose than number crunching for the sheer sake of it. :uhhuh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)