Do you go tutoring? (1 Viewer)

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Kujah said:
Not all students are spoon-fed by their tutors.
Not all, but unfortunately a lot are.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Without Wings said:
The key here is that generalisations cannot be made about all tutoring...
Issues brought up in this thread:
  • School teaches you more than 10% of the work - If you're finding that you are only learning 10% at school then you need to put your head down and do some work for a change ;) It's a school's job to teach the syllabii (it's also a students job to learn ;)) and if they don't then they are open to all sort of govt action and complaints from the students so it's a bit of a joke for a tutor to say that school only teaches you 10%. In the few occassions that a school does not cover the entire syllabus then the Board of Studies is advised of this etc (it's not a common occurrance!). Whatever tutor said that sounds like they are trying to get more money or that they are ignorant and bitter towards the education system....
  • "People who go to tutors are spoonfed" - this isn't something that can be generalised. Yes there are some tutors who spoon feed their students but the good tutors do not. If someone is being spoon fed by their tutor they are only going to lose out in the end anyways.
Anyways tutoring is such a personal thing, different people get different things from it and not everyone can afford to or are willing to pay for tutoring (especially when there's so much stuff that students can do independently these days with HEAPS of resources about). Some students like to work independently and "achieve their marks themselves" whilst others choose to have a tutor to assist them and "achieve the best possible marks" - each to their own.
I agree with what WW has just said. Personally, I find tutoring helps me with good with motivation and reinforcing all my concepts. The resources (i.e.past papers, notes etc) that I get from tuition, along with the resources I get from school and from this site, have helped me immensely!

And reinforcing what WW said, you're just cheating yourself in the end if you're being "spoon-fed". What goes around comes around.

Last edited:

cs01001

HSC
Probably something like writing up a speech for you etc...

Kujah

HSC
N/A
We had our Biology practicals a couple of weeks ago. Someone attempted all their questions but still got 0...

Kujah

HSC
N/A
:( I feel sorry for those who are going get their marks scaled down because of these people who do absolutely nothing in class, and should be out getting a job.

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
me too i reckon they should kick the idiots out that dont bother doing any work. anyway my (ex)friend got maths tutoring for like years and years and then this yr (she finished tutoring end of last yr) she decided to attempt ex maths. not a good choice. but she was dong it just to try and beat me (ecause shes a juvenile bitch) and she dropped it cuz shes stupid. beat her in all exams as well

cs01001

HSC
Kujah said:
We had our Biology practicals a couple of weeks ago. Someone attempted all their questions but still got 0...
They probably wrote BS or drew pictures, I dunno... I mean if you attempted each question decently, you must get a mark or two :confused:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Probably even spelt his name wrong :p

cs01001

HSC
Kujah said:
:( I feel sorry for those who are going get their marks scaled down because of these people who do absolutely nothing in class, and should be out getting a job.
Does that happen to you too? Yeah, I have a couple of those people in my Chem and eco. Its fair enough when they choose not to do any work in class. But really, shouldn't they dedicate some form of effort/commitment into the course because they chose to do it? These people always disrupt the class (ie having the teacher to stop and waste time rearrange seats etc), it really starts to piss people off. The school can't really do anything but to keep sending meaningless 'N' Awards and call in their parents. :burn:

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
cs01001 said:
They probably wrote BS or drew pictures, I dunno... I mean if you attempted each question decently, you must get a mark or two :confused:
Oh. You have not met my chem teacher. He is the hardest marker I have ever met - well in my books, he's competeing against another teacher, but they mark so hard. More than 1/3rd of the class didn't even pass. I think the highest % my class has ever gotten is a 66%. We are a smart class. We know our work. He just marks so incredibly hard it gives our class self esteem issues ! lol seriously ..

cs01001

HSC
It probably is a good thing to mark extra harshly, so that you will be motivated and consequently gain higher marks when being marked by a loose/easier marker.

cccclaire

HSC
My bio teacher marks so hard.
more than half the class fails.

But it teaches you to write proper answers, also, you remember mistakes clearly so next time you see the question you think 'oh I won't make that mistake again'

shayla

HSC
I do Maths tutoring (i sux at maths) and at the moment i am also getting onlne email help with english and modern history at the moment.
so much more work lol

leannespeaks

HSC
(ooooooooohhhhhhhh ) steps back*

am i the only lone creature who doesn't do any tutoring at all?

My parents never believed in tutoring. They strongly emphasised the notions of "doing the workload on your own"ever since i entered primary. It works for me though because i don't want to give any money hassle for my parents :) yet sometimes i feel a little bit jealous to people who actually does tutoring..

damn!!! my brother didn't even go tutoring and got 97.35 for his UAI!!
i stil keep wondering on how did he pulled this off?

But hey..it all depends on the person. Tutoring works for some people who need extra help.

cs01001

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
There's a few people who don't have tutoring at all, including me :)
And you still kick ass without tutoring :p

James747

HSC
humglish said:
hey SS,

is that avatar of you?

Also, I like tutoring as I believe I have an advantage over those who don't, its maths and chem, so she can't really spoon feed me, but I can understand the concepts quicker, therefore I have more time to memorise formulas etc
More or lesss the same reason why I go tutor as well, for maths that is.
I reckon its just cuz theres like a pressure to go tutor, cuz when we do "new" stuff in class, the only person whom the stuff is new to you. There's like this feeling u are behind everyone even when it comes to covering "new" material...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)