Do you go tutoring? (1 Viewer)

cccclaire

HSC
James747 said:
I go tutoring for maths.
I find most people go tutoring not cuz they want to, but rather cuz their nerdy mums or dads force them to. (thankfully im not one of them) They go there just to satisfy their parents, sitting there and, for some, sleep.
to be honest, i don't think my parents would feel particularly satisfied if they had to spend a lot of money on tutors because I couldn't understand concepts in class.

Zephyrio

HSC
cccclaire said:
to be honest, i don't think my parents would feel particularly satisfied if they had to spend a lot of money on tutors because I couldn't understand concepts in class.
Well, though some people go tutoring because they don't understand things in class, a lot of people do go tutoring to be exposed to different questions, different methods of doing things, and overall, just more knowledge.

If tutoring works for you and helps you get your desired marks, then $500 a term is not a lot in the long term. If it helps you get into your desired uni course, that fee shouldn't be too much.

steban

violin dude
HSC
i go tutoring....1000ish a term (of 10 weeks)

90 min chem - $60
60 min english - $40

yeah tis a big expensive, but i find it to be helpful, i only get tutoring to become first in class, im not soo much a failing student or anythin.

PrettyVacant

HSC
$22 per hour =) For maths
And it's pretty decent I guess...except they teach at a pretty fast pace

=\

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
yeah tis a big expensive, but i find it to be helpful, i only get tutoring to become first in class, im not soo much a failing student or anythin.
Sorry, but this is the part of tutoring I'll never get. Why would you waste that kind of money when you're not struggling with a subject? I just don't understand. To do it solely to get first seems like such a superficial and tedious reason to me.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Jachie said:
Sorry, but this is the part of tutoring I'll never get. Why would you waste that kind of money when you're not struggling with a subject? I just don't understand. To do it solely to get first seems like such a superficial and tedious reason to me.
I'd say some aspects of tutoring are helping me in terms of getting and maintaining my good positions. I guess you really only do tutoring for two reasons: if you're struggling and trying to grasp the concepts, or you're trying to reinforce the concepts you've already learnt and accelerate in those that you haven't learnt.

Last edited:

PrettyVacant

HSC
Jachie said:
You know how you have extracurricular dance/sport/music/drama?

It's like, woohoo...extracurricular maths!

Duh!

=P

Kujah

HSC
N/A
PrettyVacant said:
:eek: Never looked at Maths in that perspective before :p

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
Lucid Scintilla said:
'to get ahead and stay ahead.'
Yeh that's kinda why I'm doing tutoring atm. Been thinking alot about whether I should stop or move to another place though. I feel so bad for the amount of money that it costs :(.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Lucid Scintilla said:
'to get ahead and stay ahead.'
:uhhuh: It's just a matter for me when I have to remember what I've learnt in tuition and apply it later when I actually do it at school. I don't have a good memory :(

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
PrettyVacant said:
You know how you have extracurricular dance/sport/music/drama?

Duh!

=P
There's Maths Olympiad, Maths Enrichment.

Jachie

HSC
Lucid Scintilla said:
I cannot possibly answer this, and speak for all who do tutoring, Jachie, but I pose the following: 'to get ahead and stay ahead.'

Hi Jachie; you're back!:) Missed you.
Fair enough, I suppose. It's just something that would never, ever appeal to me unless I WAS struggling with a subject. Extra school work? No thanks. ;)

Haha, thanks! Missed you guys too, it's great to be back. :D

Jachie

HSC
Kujah said:
What happened anyways? :confused:
Nothing eventful or interesting or cool. Just had a bunch of gross assessments and assignments due on top of each other, and didn't have much time to have fun on the Interwebz. =/

steban

violin dude
HSC
aha, yeah, sometimes when im at tutoring i think to myself why am i here when im ok at the work? but then, im no professor, theres many areas where i lack information, and thats when tutoring comes into play.

My tutor uses the analogy: 'school teachers only provide 10% of the work, they only give you a skeleton. It is then up to you to add everyone to it.'
so at tutoring, and through self investigation, im slowly adding more to the skeleton.

I like to think of the hsc as a competition, im not just up against my school, but everyone. Thats my main reason for tutoring.

Jachie

HSC
My tutor uses the analogy: 'school teachers only provide 10% of the work, they only give you a skeleton. It is then up to you to add everyone to it.'
I think that analogy is bullshit. No offense to your tutor.

I mean, sure, you can go to tutoring and extend your knowledge, blahblahblah. But technically, the school teaches you all you need to know. This "10 percent work" is crap. The Board of Studies does not expect every student to learn the work from an external source - technically speaking, they don't even expect that from the best students. They lay out all you need to know, and it's your school's job to teach that to you. If your teachers aren't teaching you the syllabus that's one thing, but somehow I doubt that's the case here.

They NEED to teach you all you need to know, or they're not following the syllabus. That's why I think tutoring is a waste of money if you're not strugging with a subject. If you think it'll help you get a UAI of 100, then that's your incentive. But it just seems unnecessary to me, when you can do extra homework or practice exams at home for free.

Not to mention tutors are proven to skew the HSC playing field so it's no longer fair, but that's a whooole other issue I won't go into here. :eek:

cs01001

HSC
I honestly think a decent school/teacher will definitely teach more than 10% of the work. Some tutors over emphasize their importance in contributing to your academic results just so to keep the cash coming. Well, its just my $0.02

cccclaire

HSC
school teaches more than 10%!
And even if they only teach 50%, I'd rather teach myself the other 50% rather than be spoon-fed it by a tutor.
Not that I have much against tutors, if you want to have tutoring thats your choice.

shazran

HSC
hey tutoring is great but someone smart did say once that if one is spoon feed then all one will learn is the shape of a spoon .... but meh i dont pay for it (the smart person being me :) )

Kujah

HSC
N/A
cccclaire said:
And even if they only teach 50%, I'd rather teach myself the other 50% rather than be spoon-fed it by a tutor.
Not all students are spoon-fed by their tutors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)