Do teachers take into consideration rankings when marking subjective assesment tasks? (1 Viewer)

irenefu

HSC
Does anyone know if teachers in humanities (specifically legal) are meant to take into consideration rankings when marking extended responses when it's just an assesment task? I'm just confused because my teacher said my response was 'perfect', however she 'had to rank us'. However when I asked her more about it, she said she only ranked me and another student who came top 2 in the task, but she didn't consider rank for everyone elses response like that. Is it right that she mark it this way? I'm so confused, since about 50% of everyone who did legal also got the same mark as me (24/25), and I'm pretty sure that's unfair?
Please enlighten me:)

barbernator

HSC
Re: Do teachers take into consideration rankings when marking subjective assesment ta

that is definitely unfair, you can have multiple people on the same rank and it doesn't matter. Your assignment should be marked on its value and nothing else

irenefu

HSC
Re: Do teachers take into consideration rankings when marking subjective assesment ta

Exactly what I thoughhhhhtt! It didn't make sense if she marked it this way. Gah, she's such a subjective marker..

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

That is why my school has now introduced student numbers for all assessment tasks - so that the teachers are making without necessarily knowing which student did what.

No the teacher shouldn't be taking into account the ranking on previous tasks to award marks.

Sanjeet

HSC

This is the same with our english department

irenefu

HSC

That is why my school has now introduced student numbers for all assessment tasks - so that the teachers are making without necessarily knowing which student did what.

No the teacher shouldn't be taking into account the ranking on previous tasks to award marks.
Yes , I suggested that to others - will probably take that up with the school administration.
Because basically I was only one mark behind in total for our half yearly reports from the 1st student, so she said she had to make sure that at the end of the year we wouldn't get the same marks/ranks.... which is just... bs.

Did the school bring in the student number system after students suggestd it?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

No - it was something that had been discussed by the senior staff to help both teachers and students avoid the belief of bias that can sometimes exist - rightly or wrongly.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

No - it was something that had been discussed by the senior staff to help both teachers and students avoid the belief of bias that can sometimes exist - rightly or wrongly.
I wish the teachers at my school showed some initiative and actually introduced student numbers. Students have been requesting it for quite a long time and nothing has happened.

irenefu

HSC

Oh I see.. I shall suggest that to our school on Thursday.

D94

HSC
N/A

I wish the teachers at my school showed some initiative and actually introduced student numbers. Students have been requesting it for quite a long time and nothing has happened.
Don't you still have it for English? Or did they remove it?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

no. marking should be standards based.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Don't you still have it for English? Or did they remove it?
We haven't had any student numbers used in any assessment all year.

D94

HSC
N/A

We haven't had any student numbers used in any assessment all year.
Hm, they must have gotten lazy in less than a year. Last year, we had a student numbering system for English but it became sort of pointless when the teachers were like, "if you can't remember your number, just write your name". o_O

powlmao

Banned
HSC

My school is like can't be fucked looking for your number.

Plus all my teachers know what my writing llooks like

scarvesss

howdy doo
HSC

they made us do the number thing in our english exam today cos i think people were complaining about subjective marking. its pretty obvious in our class that sucking up to the teacher gets you good marks.

another thing slightly off topic. is it weird in a ~200 rank school for people to be on 100% in adv eng after all assessments except trials? we have two people on it and im third with one lost mark. some people in my class are exceptionally good writers (as well as subjective marking) but really its slightly unrealistic imo to be on full marks especially in adv

findx

HSC

Using student numbers for internal assessments would only work if there is a large number of students during a particular subject.
There is no use in using student numbers if there is a small no. of students in a course, as a teacher can easily recognise whose essay/assessment it is based on handwriting, and their writing style.

And back on topic - Teachers should not take into ranking into considerations when marking. Each assessment should be marked on its own merit and from an unbias perspective

FTW

HSC

Maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression for all year 12 assessments the only form of identification allowed was the student number so bias like this does not occur (as in I thought the Board of Studies said all schools had to do this). The whole reason for the assessment mark is to get an 'accurate' ranking, which is clearly not the case if this is considered. Also like some people are saying, it can be hard as my school was very small and we did use student numbers, but in my classes of 4 and 5 the teachers still obviously knew who they were marking, which they frequently said to us. It can be exceptionally difficult to get a fair mark in a particularly subjective subject such as English if the assignment/test is not anonymously labelled.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

There is no BOS directive that students have to have numbers on tasks.

We have only just introduced it this year - about half-way through first term - and only for hand-in tasks and those done as exams but an inclass task supervised by the teacher the teacher is free to use numbers or names. I use numbers because I think it is good practice for my students to get used to using it.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

another thing slightly off topic. is it weird in a ~200 rank school for people to be on 100% in adv eng after all assessments except trials? we have two people on it and im third with one lost mark. some people in my class are exceptionally good writers (as well as subjective marking) but really its slightly unrealistic imo to be on full marks especially in adv
At a rank ~30s school, we don't have anyone on 100% for every assessment so far. Your school is definitely marking very easily unless you actually get three state rankers in English, then they're not but otherwise, first case applies.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad

There is no BOS directive that students have to have numbers on tasks.

We have only just introduced it this year - about half-way through first term - and only for hand-in tasks and those done as exams but an inclass task supervised by the teacher the teacher is free to use numbers or names. I use numbers because I think it is good practice for my students to get used to using it.
Nope, I think we had 1-2 people on that score before trials.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)