do ranks really matter? (1 Viewer)

pscecelia

HSC
i am so mind effed... some teachers say that ranks are nothing whilst others say its everything ... LIKE WTF make up your mind... i am most definitely unclear of the way HSC is marked and based upon... i am highly disappointed in myself of the Half yearly.... i did not get a 90 for any which is absolutely detrimental towards my HSC and can basically screw up my ATAR ...:frown2:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
i am so mind effed... some teachers say that ranks are nothing whilst others say its everything ... LIKE WTF make up your mind... i am most definitely unclear of the way HSC is marked and based upon... i am highly disappointed in myself of the Half yearly.... i did not get a 90 for any which is absolutely detrimental towards my HSC and can basically screw up my ATAR ...:frown2:
Ranks do have a certain effect as how your mark will be moderated . But most importantly is to work to the best of your ability and you will not have any regrets.

Kurby

HSC
N/A
I don't know if I should be blunt.. but for the assessment part. Its not marks that matters but your ranking. Because if you get rank 1, the top mark scored in the HSC exam is your mark (50% for assessment) plus another 50% for the actual exam mark you score.

So if you come last in your subject, you better pray someone who doesn't care don't only do half the paper and get a 20%.... because that'll be your score.

Aysce

HSC
I don't know if I should be blunt.. but for the assessment part. Its not marks that matters but your ranking. Because if you get rank 1, the top mark scored in the HSC exam is your mark (50% for assessment) plus another 50% for the actual exam mark you score.

So if you come last in your subject, you better pray someone who doesn't care don't only do half the paper and get a 20%.... because that'll be your score.
^

How are your rankings so far? Don't worry, you still have roughly 50% left to go which you can capitalise on and catch up/surpass the higher rankers. As nerdasdasd mentioned, give in 100% and at the end of the day you'll have no regrets.

Kowther

HSC
They do administer how you're scaled, as well as depending on cohort performance. As well as your assessment mark is your scaled mark which counts for half of the hsc

A

alcalde

basically the truth is IT DOES MATTER..because school ranks is where the board of studies base the HSC results from..but in a way..trust me, i know how you feel because i myself too, last yr during yr11, iwas 1st in economics, business studies and visual arts but then as I got my current rank for the half yearly report, i came 2nd and 3rd..but what i want to say is..it does matter..but don't let yourself be beat up about it...this may sound so cliche but just do your best..because in the end..it doesn't matter what we got compared to others but what we achieved because of our hardwork :)

I really hope that helps...

RishBonjour

HSC
Ranks do have a certain effect as how your mark will be moderated . But most importantly is to work to the best of your ability and you will not have any regrets.
yes you will. if you work to the best of your ability and get less than 80 (assuming atar aim 90+ and miss out on your course), you will most likely hate yourself.

"try your best" has been proven to be one of the shittest motivators out there (O'Connor 2013).

pscecelia

HSC
well I don't know any of my ranks.....also lets say if you got a shit rank however improved drastically and beat the people who were ranked higher could my marks change and possibly have a brighter side?

2xL

HSC
well I don't know any of my ranks.....also lets say if you got a shit rank however improved drastically and beat the people who were ranked higher could my marks change and possibly have a brighter side?
Definitely.

jenslekman

HSC
yes you will. if you work to the best of your ability and get less than 80 (assuming atar aim 90+ and miss out on your course), you will most likely hate yourself.

"try your best" has been proven to be one of the shittest motivators out there (O'Connor 2013).
lol - page reference? :p

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
Yup, ranks DO MATTER.

Ranks determine what mark you get, IIRC the highest and lowest exam marks are used as the limits of a cohort and everyone gets fit in between based on their RANK.

And, depending on your school ranks will differ, like 50 ranks in a competitive school may differ by less than 5 marks but in a non-competitive school can be very widespread (>20 marks).

Hope this helps~

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
basically the truth is IT DOES MATTER..because school ranks is where the board of studies base the HSC results from..but in a way..trust me, i know how you feel because i myself too, last yr during yr11, iwas 1st in economics, business studies and visual arts but then as I got my current rank for the half yearly report, i came 2nd and 3rd..but what i want to say is..it does matter..but don't let yourself be beat up about it...this may sound so cliche but just do your best..because in the end..it doesn't matter what we got compared to others but what we achieved because of our hardwork :)

I really hope that helps...
I think year twelve is quite similar to preliminary in terms of ranks;

the top generally stays the top
some students will go from middle to the top end
some go from top end to middle

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)