do ranks really matter if cohort is good? (1 Viewer)

1277a5

HSC
so most of my ranks are pre shit but our cohort seems to be doing really well... we all have roughly around the same mark so 1 mark difference makes us drop like 10 ranks :\ so i was wondering if i should really worry about my ranking if the cohort does well?

leehuan

HSC
1 mark difference between top 10 in your cohort? Nah, not too badly. Moderation definitely DOES take into account relative mark differences between ranks.

D94

HSC
N/A
You'll all get pretty much the same assessment mark.

A1P

HSC
so most of my ranks are pre shit but our cohort seems to be doing really well...
That's not a good sign. If they are doing really well internal, same as or above you, you will need them to do really well external as well to maintain your mark. If they do worse external they will pull down your Assessment mark.

Selfishly for yourself you'd want them to be doing worse than you internal, then everyone does well external. I can explain in more detail if you want.

aoc

HSC
this seems an appropriate thread to ask. Say im ranked 3rd in a subject and in the HSC rank 1,2 and myself score 95. Would us 3 all get 95 or would there be some moderation?

leehuan

HSC
this seems an appropriate thread to ask. Say im ranked 3rd in a subject and in the HSC rank 1,2 and myself score 95. Would us 3 all get 95 or would there be some moderation?
External - Yes

Internal - Depends on the mark difference between rank 1, 2 and you

aoc

HSC
Say little disparity (1-3 marks)?

A1P

HSC
Say im ranked 3rd in a subject and in the HSC rank 1,2 and myself score 95. Would us 3 all get 95 or would there be some moderation?
Only the first and last ranked internal don't, the rest all get moderated but could be up or down.

Here's how it works:
- The 1st internal gets the top Exam mark (as his/her Assessment mark)
- The last internal gets the last Exam mark

After these two the remaining of the Exam marks pool is distributed to the rest of the cohort, in proportions approximately equal to their own proportion in the Internal marks pool. So the bigger your internal proportion and the bigger the cohort's external pool, the bigger your share of it. And vice versa.

leehuan

HSC
Say little disparity (1-3 marks)?
Only the first and last ranked internal don't, the rest all get moderated but could be up or down.

Here's how it works:
- The 1st internal gets the top Exam mark (as his/her Assessment mark)
- The last internal gets the last Exam mark

After these two the remaining of the Exam marks pool is distributed to the rest of the cohort, in proportions approximately equal to their own proportion in the Internal marks pool. So the bigger your internal proportion and the bigger the cohort's external pool, the bigger your share of it. And vice versa.
For the most part basically this. First place is always preserved, however anyone else gets affected by it to some extent.

It just so happens that if the mark difference was so low then the impact of moderation will not be as significant as otherwise.

One thing to pick on though - In GENERAL, last internal gets the last exam mark. Whilst this is basically 95%+ of the time at least, there are always some exceptions to this case due to other factors playing a role.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)