Do most schools have people who leave 40-30 minutes early? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucas_

HSC
I left my general maths exam with 1 hr 45 mins left (1 hr 20 elapsed) and I am sure I will have gotten AT LEAST 78-80 hsc mark so fuck to all you people who say u cant get good marks if you leave early, I am living testament to this

barbernator

HSC
In regards to the bell curve.... majority of a population has average intelligence, and at either extreme a smaller portion of the population has either an exceptionally high IQ and exceptionally low IQ.

I'd imagine the pattern would be the same for social competency.

Chances of someone scoring highly for both characteristics would be statistically rarer than scoring highly for one of the two. I don't really see what's illogical about that.
You cannot overlay two bell curves and say that they correlate.

STATISICALLY, going by your bell curve theorem, there is just as much chance that a person with average intelligence will have good social skills as an intelligent person will have good social skills, no correlation whatsoever.

deswa1

HSC
I'm basing my perception of their social competency not really on how they've interacted with me but with, for example, the school cohort as a whole. How well they can interact with a diverse range of people.
I'll just speak from personal experience- at my school, most of the people expecting 99.5+ ATAR's (so we're talking really top end now) are sociable, play sport, can interact normally etc. Obviously there are a few basements there but they aren't even the majority.

I'm not sure if you're a troll or not but if you're not, then you have a stuffed view of the world imo. There isn't a strong correlation between academic ability and social ability.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
No. Just no. Did you really type that out? "The only conclusion we can make is that majority of people who get 95+ lack social skills" ? What the flying fuck?
I agree with her. She is not saying everyone, she is saying the majority, and from my experience I would agree with that. Of course there are always exceptions to the stereotype (those in the minority). However, when hiring for jobs there are often many applications and recruiters/HR don't have time to individually assess each application but will rely on stereotypes to help narrow down the selection.

Another stereotype they will use is your name. If you name sounds extremely foreign (even if you were born in Australian and lived here all your life etc) then they will likely be prejudiced against your application.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
how do you even measure social competency.

Some people are introverted, some are extroverted. Some prefer a small group of close friends, others prefer a large group of friends. How do you measure which one is more "competent" really?

I mean you can distinguish between some people but really there is a pretty massive grey line
You raise a good point.

2xL

HSC
I agree with her. She is not saying everyone, she is saying the majority, and from my experience I would agree with that. Of course there are always exceptions to the stereotype (those in the minority). However, when hiring for jobs there are often many applications and recruiters/HR don't have time to individually assess each application but will rely on stereotypes to help narrow down the selection.

Another stereotype they will use is your name. If you name sounds extremely foreign (even if you were born in Australian and lived here all your life etc) then they will likely be prejudiced against your application.
Are you kidding? Majority? What kind of society do you live in? Almost all IF NOT ALL the people i know who have got 95+ are perfectly sociable. Just stop.

barbernator

HSC
moral of the story kids, don't try and get good marks at school or uni because they are actually bad for you

2xL

HSC
moral of the story kids, don't try and get good marks at school or uni because they are actually bad for you
Also, try and be "average". If your marks are at the very top, they'll cull you straight away from the list of potential candidates.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Are you kidding? Majority? What kind of society do you live in? Almost all IF NOT ALL the people i know who have got 95+ are perfectly sociable. Just stop.
No, I am not kidding. Perhaps our data-sets are vastly different although I stand by my views.

At the end of the day whether you think my views (and that of a few other peoples in this thread) are correct or wrong, many people in reality perceive it this way.

Rawf

HSC
I left my general maths exam with 1 hr 45 mins left (1 hr 20 elapsed) and I am sure I will have gotten AT LEAST 78-80 hsc mark so fuck to all you people who say u cant get good marks if you leave early, I am living testament to this
To me, I don't think an HSC mark of 78-80 is particularly good, especially for general maths to suffice for a 93 ATAR.. that is unless you've got other subjects to pull you up or Gmaths isn't counted in your ATAR that's fine. In the ATAR calculator I just used, an HSC mark of 80 last year has an ATAR equivalent of 75.5

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Also, try and be "average". If your marks are at the very top, they'll cull you straight away from the list of potential candidates.
Not 'average', but be an all rounder who is good at multiple avenues, not just academia.

barbernator

HSC
No, I am not kidding. Perhaps our data-sets are vastly different although I stand by my views.

At the end of the day whether you think my views (and that of a few other peoples in this thread) are correct or wrong, many people in reality perceive it this way.
what atar did you receive?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Seriously, if you actually put a bit of effort at school, you will end up looking like a high achiever. It doesn't take so much to get 90+ ATAR - you can achieve it if you put small amounts of effort and have an epic social life.

Also, define sociability - is someone that meets with 10 people and does all the drugs available off the street counted as sociable? If they binge drink and start fucking random people at a night club considered sociable? Clearly, in these cases, the brain size of these people would be next to nothing and they have dog shit sociability (in my opinion).

sophieeaton

HSC
N/A
Look, there is a highly documented link between intelligence and introversion.

I have never and will never say that intelligence by default means you're socially inept.

But anyone who denies there is a link in in denial.

2xL

HSC

Your data-set must be terribly limited. I feel sorry for you. You must live in a very elitist suburb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)