Do any of your parents force you to do what you don't want? (1 Viewer)

turntaker

HSC
I wanna know if your parents force you to choose specific subjects for school and then tell you what course you have to do in uni.
My parents don't really care what I do as long as I like what I do. But they say I have to go to uni.

beaubrah

HSC
Well my parents picked my subject, but they don't care what I do after the HSC aha

HSC 2015- Goal:90+ ATAR

turntaker

HSC
Well my parents picked my subject, but they don't care what I do after the HSC aha

HSC 2015- Goal:90+ ATAR
Lol, that's very weird. (my parents picked my subjects) haha

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
Force? I don't see the mentality behind that.
If a child is 'forced' to do a subject they don't like, it is more than likely that they won't succeed in it. In the long run, it isn't doing them any good
My parents didn't mind which subjects/units/course I chose. They did give recommendations and opinions which did help influence my decision

turntaker

HSC
Force? I don't see the mentality behind that.
If a child is 'forced' to do a subject they don't like, it is more than likely that they won't succeed in it. In the long run, it isn't doing them any good
My parents didn't mind which subjects/units/course I chose. They did give recommendations and opinions which did help influence my decision
Well I do not see the mentality as well, but I have heard some parents that force their kids to do certain subject and courses.

Kymren

HSC
My parents told me to do what I want to do for the HSC, things I'm interested in. My dads has been a music teacher for 20 years and he has seen a lot of kids pick their subjects on future jobs and what their parents wanted, some did well but others burnt out and got nowhere.
"In year ten you don't really know what you want to do after school, leave your options open".
I first wanted to study botany (Year 10),
then I wanted study jazz at Sydney con (Year 11),
Now I'm thinking of doing geology (Year 12)?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
My parents forced me to play violin/piano, Asian 5, and be a doctor/lawyer.

But i was like 'fak you, the banter boy does as he pleases'

turntaker

HSC
My parents forced me to play violin/piano, Asian 5, and be a doctor/lawyer.

But i was like 'fak you, the banter boy does as he pleases'
There is always commerce if you can't do law or medicine. lol

I seriously hate this logic. People should do what they want and not because of the pay or being forced by someone.

shortnsweet

HSC
They don't force me, but my dad is really wanting me to study psychology in university, because 1) he thinks it's interesting, and 2) he says I'm good at 'reading people's behaviour and emotions'. >.> ok but I dont wanna be a psychologist (anymore, I used to a few years ago).

turntaker

HSC
They don't force me, but my dad is really wanting me to study psychology in university, because 1) he thinks it's interesting, and 2) he says I'm good at 'reading people's behaviour and emotions'. >.> ok but I dont wanna be a psychologist (anymore, I used to a few years ago).
Oh, my dad wanted my to become a pilot since he always wanted to become a pilot but his parents didn't let him. He didn't force me though. I did consider it at one point but Id rather do stuff with computers haha.

What do you wanna do now?

shortnsweet

HSC
Oh, my dad wanted my to become a pilot since he always wanted to become a pilot but his parents didn't let him. He didn't force me though. I did consider it at one point but Id rather do stuff with computers haha.

What do you wanna do now?
now I want to do medicine or nursing, or something similar, but I'm not 100% sure yet

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
There is always commerce if you can't do law or medicine. lol

I seriously hate this logic. People should do what they want and not because of the pay or being forced by someone.
Well to be fair, you need some kind of economic stabilty.

matchalolz

HSC
my parents really hinted at the subjects that they thought were good and the ones they thought were useless lool. they didn't force me to take anything but would have shown that they disapproved if i had chosen something they were against, if u get what i mean. my dad is really into commerce and so yeah i guessed that influenced my choices quite a bit, but then i'm really glad that i listened to his opinions coz i'm actually really enjoying economics :D my parents aren't actually into med or law or any of that!

that's just me though...they also did force me to play piano (typical asian parents) but then i'm really glad they did. i hated piano when i did it seriously, but after i quit doing the exams, i realised how much i miss playing it and thus try to make the time to play it now!

DLMisme

HSC
My parents didn't mind, they let me choose what I wanted. They offered some advice and their opinions but they didn't force me into anything and for that I'm grateful, I know so many of my friends were really upset their parents were forcing them to do a subject they didn't want to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)