• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

different law schools (1 Viewer)

santaslayer

HSC
They do?

I'm under the impression that we are only talkig about undergraduate LLBs right?
Coz from what I've gathered in prelim and the HSC year is that UTS was the only institution to offer a singular undergrad LLB .

For postgrads there is the singualr 3 year course and singular 4 year course at UOW

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
santaslayer said:
They do?

I'm under the impression that we are only talkig about undergraduate LLBs right?
Coz from what I've gathered in prelim and the HSC year is that UTS was the only institution to offer a singular undergrad LLB .

For postgrads there is the singualr 3 year course and singular 4 year course at UOW
Thats what I thought, Only UTS offers LLB on its own for undergrads right?

santaslayer

HSC
melsc said:
Thats what I thought, Only UTS offers LLB on its own for undergrads right?
That's right. :uhhuh:

Unless I'm wrong. LoLz.

UTS is the only institution offering singular undergrad LLB.

I don't see who would take it up though, since (last time i checked) the UAI was 97.75 and the other combined degrees were of similar cutoffs. :p

X

xeuyrawp

santaslayer said:
I don't see who would take it up though, since (last time i checked) the UAI was 97.75 and the other combined degrees were of similar cutoffs. :p
It's like doing a Dip. Law., purely for practical reasons.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
I have a question that is related to "different law schools", so I'll ask here.

What is the difference between the different law schools in terms of content? For example, is what you learn at UNSW the same as what you'd learn at UWS?

I have been planning on enrolling into UWS, but after receiving information booklets on each uni some appear more 'interesting' - particularly UNSW. So what I would like to know is: have UNSW merely created a better booklet with suprerior information and descriptions of each element of the course, or does the content actually vary?

X

xeuyrawp

hYperTrOphY said:
I have a question that is related to "different law schools", so I'll ask here.

What is the difference between the different law schools in terms of content? For example, is what you learn at UNSW the same as what you'd learn at UWS?

I have been planning on enrolling into UWS, but after receiving information booklets on each uni some appear more 'interesting' - particularly UNSW. So what I would like to know is: have UNSW merely created a better booklet with suprerior information and descriptions of each element of the course, or does the content actually vary?
Every uni's law course has essential units. These units are required in order to make the course acceptable via the LPAB (Legal practitioners admission board- the examining body of lawyers).

The only difference in pure content is in the elective units. You'll find all the elective units' descriptions online via the uni's webpages.

I'll need to get someone with a bit more experience to comment on the different electives, but that's the gist of it.

santaslayer

HSC
Asquithian said:
I mean I heard (UWS people can tell me) that UWS used multiple choice for their assessment.
OMFG how coolies. :p

Course's are pretty much similar.
Some universities don't have some electives. eg. UWS has space law whilst others may not.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Asquithian said:
The law schools teach the same thing. The method of teaching and assessment does vary between the law schools.

However If you seriously want to work in a big law firm I honestly recommend that you try to get into UNSW or usyd.

I mean I heard (UWS people can tell me) that UWS used multiple choice for their assessment.
Does that mean though if you to UWS its harder to find employment??? Because I really want to do law but dont expect to get 99.6. Do they really look at the uni that you go to or is more to do with how well you do in the course???

X

xeuyrawp

melsc said:
Do they really look at the uni that you go to or is more to do with how well you do in the course???
To an extent, yes.

Unfortunately, at a lot of bigger, older firms, the old-boys club still exists.

Thankfully I'm going to the bar, so those snobby solicitors can kiss my ass.

X

xeuyrawp

Asquithian said:
Well officially no. But you will find that most of the big name firms substantially recruit from usyd and unsw. I still feel unsw and usyd have the preference. However if you do well at the others unis then you will be fine. It's a balance.
I think there are a few reasons for this. 1. It's a profession of intellect, and unfortunately there's the (only partly) correct view that UAI = intellect = go to sydney.

2. People are affraid of new things, USYD and UNSW being the oldest unis with law degrees.

3. A lot of pedigreeing happens in law, pedigree law families go to Usyd, donate to the library fund, and all become Supreme Court judges.

X

xeuyrawp

Asquithian said:
some of you are very ambitious to be jumping to the bar straight away! :p

Does Sydney need more barristers?!

I've been told by a lot of trustworthy people that going straight to the bar is more advantageous than sometimes thought.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Asquithian said:
some of you are very ambitious to be jumping to the bar straight away! :p

Does Sydney need more barristers?!
most of the people I talk to want to go straight to the bar...are their going to be enough demand for barristers???

I was stuck as a solicitor in the first round of mock trial and hated it so much...I ended up arguing my way into a barrister role...

X

xeuyrawp

melsc said:
most of the people I talk to want to go straight to the bar...are their going to be enough demand for barristers???

I was stuck as a solicitor in the first round of mock trial and hated it so much...I ended up arguing my way into a barrister role...
I hate people too much to be a solicitor.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Asquithian said:
The law schools teach the same thing. The method of teaching and assessment does vary between the law schools.

However If you seriously want to work in a big law firm I honestly recommend that you try to get into UNSW or usyd.

Sorry, I originally missed your post.

I understand that USyd and UNSW graduates are often perceived as more 'employable', but I was of the opinion that this 'culture' was changing.

I originally wanted to attend UNSW, it seems like a great uni - academically and socially. However, I also really want to do Criminology.

X

xeuyrawp

hYperTrOphY said:
I understand that USyd and UNSW graduates are often perceived as more 'employable', but I was of the opinion that this 'culture' was changing.
Yes, it is, thankfully.

asqy said:
Well The Uai is the only way they can measure. Usyd and unsw by making their uai's so damn high they do gaurantee a 'quality' intake. There has to be a way to distinguish quality and uai is the only way to do it to kids from High school.

Not sure if they are afraid of new things. But UNSW and usyd have a quality rep. I have the feeling it has to do with the 'quality' of intake. AS for age...unsw has a great rep and its not that old. 1975 first graduating class.
Ack, quality intake my ass.

Yes, I know it's not that old, but it's older than others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)