different law schools (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
= Jennifer = said:
no offence to mcq people studying law but didnt they have problems getting their degree acreditted (sp?)
the short answer is no.

santaslayer

HSC
Can I reiterate what I've said since the beginning of last year?

UoW has still maintained a 100% employment rate for its LLB course. :p

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
employment-wise, what do you mean by 100% employment. im asking as in what areas would they be considered employed in. surely they cant all have become lawyers.maybe as a paralegal perhaps or a lower postion as i may presume.

santaslayer

HSC
wrong_turn said:
employment-wise, what do you mean by 100% employment. im asking as in what areas would they be considered employed in. surely they cant all have become lawyers.maybe as a paralegal perhaps or a lower postion as i may presume.
It has to be somewhat related to the field of law.

X

xeuyrawp

Not-That-Bright said:
I thought he was right =/
no, honey. How the hell would you think that.

Lex is the latin word preceeding the name of a law; translated as "law", but only in the following context: "Lex Papia Poppaea" = "The Law of 'Papia Poppaea'". It does not mean "the laws" or "the law".

Legum is the latin word for all things legal. Hence "lex legum" would be translated as "The Law of 'legal'"- it doesnt work.

LLB stands for Bachelor of Laws - addition of an abbreviated letter (in this case L) occurs in latin when the abbreviated noun is plural (in this case, laws).

Hence, why ss. = sections, pp. = pages, etc etc.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well what does it stand for?

Edit: Arr i see, apparently LL stands for "Legum" and there is no lex :)
That's why it's often typed "LL.B".

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
LLB stands for Bachelor of Laws - addition of an abbreviated letter (in this case L) occurs in latin when the abbreviated noun is plural (in this case, laws).

Hence, why ss. = sections, pp. = pages, etc etc.
i concur, as i pointed out in another thread.

please, don't try to do latin if you can't.

X

xeuyrawp

Not-That-Bright said:
Well what does it stand for?
I'm not even going to bother answering that.
edit: see, we figured it out for ourselve :D
yes, that's why it's frequently typed LL.B

frigid said:
please, don't try to do latin if you can't.
ego congruo :)

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Somehow I can't help thinking there is some latin behind it.

Seeing as the MB/BS has the whole 'baccalaureus' to it.

X

xeuyrawp

011 said:
Somehow I can't help thinking there is some latin behind it.

Seeing as the MB/BS has the whole 'baccalaureus' to it.
There is latin behind it-

legum baccalareus.

Since it's latin, the Legum gets pluralised by adding another L.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Is legum neuter then? I never came across a 'legum' only a lex, legem (acc).

X

xeuyrawp

011 said:
Is legum neuter then? I never came across a 'legum' only a lex, legem (acc).
By neuter do you mean asexual?

legum = legal. Lex = law, but not in the context of "I study law", it's only a valid word when it has a law name after it.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
I mean, exactly, what form is legum.

Because the legum i know of is from lex, genitive plural strictly meaning 'of laws'. Is that what you mean by 'legal'?

X

xeuyrawp

011 said:
I mean, exactly, what form is legum.

Because the legum i know of is from lex, genitive plural strictly meaning 'of laws'. Is that what you mean by 'legal'?
I'm sorry, but my knowledge of latin is not at all academic, it's practical :D

I was under the impression that the words were not of strict grammatical relation, and that "legum" translated as "legal" is a good translation- because "legal" implies not only that you understand the law, but understand about the whole legal system, tradition, history etc etc.

I think what you said that it's a genitive plural "of laws" is probably right, but you'd have to ask someone who can actually write (I can do a good job of reading it) latin and hence knows what they're talking about.

edit: I should have probably mentioned that I've never formally studied latin, and I totally agree that you shouldn't really attempt something unless you have some idea about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
I know what you mean. However I did 3 unit latin for the HSC (and almost perfected the exam), and I still find it slightly odd as to how to translate the degree, in latin, idiomatically. It looks like it requires some 'reading-in' to actually get the gist of the words, otherwise you'd just be reading it as 'law of laws'.

Hmm.

X

xeuyrawp

santaslayer said:
One day, Latin will be truly be rid of in ALL our legal texts.
It's the same in everything- philosophy, ancient history.

"This is a picture of the arefact as found in situ..." Why not "on site"?!

There's a very popular philosophy term, as well, "a priori" i hate that. And they are always italicised, so point out that they know 10 latin words.

Anyway, this thread has been answered 15 times over, even by people who don't know what they're talking about, like Johnathan_a, who said Macq has no professors.

johnathan_ass said:
From the Opinion of the APS Journal of Psychology, UWS is the best psych uni in Australia. (Keep saying it but...) We have 20 Professors in Psych, Mac has none. UWS has the largest psych faculty in NSW, 2nd largest in Aus. UWS is the only Australian university in the APS top-ten unis in the world for psychology (ranked 7).
1. Macquarie has SEVEN professors of Psychology, SIX of which are on the staff website, go figure. TWO of which are Emeritus Professors. You have none. http://www.psy.mq.edu.au/staffDirectory.php. DOn't be a lier. Anyone could have looked up the website, you jackass.

2. UWS has FOUR professors. http://apps.uws.edu.au/uws/teldir/schlprocess.phtml?SP#APSYCH , five according to my friend there.

3. I asked my friend who's doing a PhD in Psych at sydney, and she said there's no such reference in APS.

4. You don't have the largest psych faculty, Sydney does.

5. The majority of your Psych staff come from UWS itself, whereas Macq has staff from all over the place- including TWO Em. Professors.

6. You're a big fat lier and made a total ass of yourself:).

It's ok to be patriotic, but your lies are a terrible example to those wishing to go to UWS, especially someone who knows nothing about Law (lex legum?) and Psychology.

(edited cos I found the UWS website).

Last edited by a moderator:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
It's the same in everything- philosophy, ancient history.

"This is a picture of the arefact as found in situ..." Why not "on site"?!

There's a very popular philosophy term, as well, "a priori" i hate that. And they are always italicised, so point out that they know 10 latin words.

Anyway, this thread has been answered 15 times over, even by people who don't know what they're talking about, like Johnathan_a, who said Macq has no professors.

1. Macquarie has SEVEN professors of Psychology, SIX of which are on the staff website, go figure. TWO of which are Emeritus Professors. You have none. http://www.psy.mq.edu.au/staffDirectory.php. DOn't be a lier. Anyone could have looked up the website, you jackass.

2. UWS has FOUR professors. http://apps.uws.edu.au/uws/teldir/schlprocess.phtml?SP#APSYCH , five according to my friend there.

3. I asked my friend who's doing a PhD in Psych at sydney, and she said there's no such reference in APS.

4. You don't have the largest psych faculty, Sydney does.

5. The majority of your Psych staff come from UWS itself, whereas Macq has staff from all over the place- including TWO Em. Professors.

6. You're a big fat lier and made a total ass of yourself:).

It's ok to be patriotic, but your lies are a terrible example to those wishing to go to UWS, especially someone who knows nothing about Law (lex legum?) and Psychology.

(edited cos I found the UWS website).
ouch.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)