Differences between USYD and UNSW for B Comm (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
but the postgrad student never experienced the usyd course: only teaches one subject.

sarevok

HSC
stazi said:
but the postgrad student never experienced the usyd course: only teaches one subject.
from what i was told this tutor taught three of the core IS units last semester. thoguh of course you are right in that they cannot make a perfect judgment, this is in my mind enough for their opinion to have credence (i have certainly seen no one else more qualified make a judgement)

Last edited:

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Biscuit/Freshtire, both uni's have strong reputations for their Commerce degrees.

It really depends what you want to do. Just remember however that if you want to major in Actuarial Studies, you need to go to Macquarie or UNSW for that.

UNSW may however have a slight edge when it comes to industry links due to their co-op program (likewise UTS)

Btw, I know you were only asking about UNSW and USyd but just thought I'd give a comparative view of what i've said with respect to other uni's which are similiar.

stazi said:
I still stick to my:
Government & International Relations, Marketing, Industrial Relations & HRM (especially the IR part), Political Economy, Econometrics is better at USYD.
Economics and Finance are disputed a lot and I don't think anyone can really confirm.
Accounting is better at UNSW, as well as perhaps Information Systems and Decision Sciences.
Hey stazi, out of curiosity, why do you think IR/HRM is better at USyd?

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Sarah said:
Hey stazi, out of curiosity, why do you think IR/HRM is better at USyd?
Bradon Ellem
Russel Lansbury
Marian Bard
Susan McGrath-Champ
Diane van den Broek
Rae Cooper
Leanne Cutcher
Susan Ainsworth

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
Newbie said:
UNSW is clearly better at commerce
no need to argue :)
God you UNSW kids are blissfully ignorant, aren't you? UNSW = USYD + LotsMoreForeigners.

I doubt an employer is going to cast you out onto the street because you didn't go to one university over the other. Just look at where Bernie Fraiser (former governer of the reserve bank) went: UNE.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
UNSW is one of the best in Asia in Accounting, so that's pretty obvious. I'd say that UTS is really stong in Accounting, based on the places I've worked and the number of managers I've seen from UTS (almost as many as from UNSW). In terms of Economics, there's always and argument over UNSW/Usyd/ANU over who's the best. For finance, I think UNSW is the leader because it houses the two biggest research facilities: SIRCA and CMCRC, however it does also use professors from USyd and Macq for certain areas of research.

My best advioce for determining what's better is to go to the uni, get a feel for whjat it's about, talk to friends who study Commerce, and then make your decision from there. Some people pick Unis based on UAI scores, some pick it based on how sexy the buildings are (and I'm dead serious), some pick it based on where their friends go. I picked UNSW because I had the marks, and the Industry links are really, really good. UNSW students receive more offers from Big4 firms than any other universities (Source: BRW ).

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
I could think of a thousand better jobs than Big4 accounting...but each to their own I guess.

USYD owns in Govt, IR, International Relations (NOT International Business)
Macq owns in Actuarial, HR

But I'd have to say if you're looking to major in something outside of those areas, it's probably best to be at UNSW.

I don't know much about commerce at UTS, except that they churn out a LOT of B Business grads with accoutning majors who get a quite a few offers at Big4 and mid sized accounting firms.

Last edited:

chloe169

finance yo
HSC
pffft

as you can see everyone has their own opinions as to which uni is the best, at the end of the day it comes down to your personal preference based on which uni you feel most caters for your specific needs/interests. either way you cant go very wrong, USYD and UNSW are both very well recognised and respected institutions.

Having said this, I'm doing my B Comm at UNSW!

phrred

HSC
Wolfowitz said:
God you UNSW kids are blissfully ignorant, aren't you? UNSW = USYD + LotsMoreForeigners.
I doubt an employer is going to cast you out onto the street because you didn't go to one university over the other. Just look at where Bernie Fraiser (former governer of the reserve bank) went: UNE.

Usyd actually has more international students in total than UNSW believe it or not

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
phrred said:
Usyd actually has more international students in total than UNSW believe it or not
UNSW has a massive reputation in Asia, and heaps of parents in HK, Singapore, Malaysia and China want to send their kids to do Commerce at UNSW. As a result, Commerce at UNSW doesn't have much of an ethnic mix, its 80-90% Asian.

But that shouldn't stop ppl from going to UNSW, its not as though they tell you at the job interview you can't get an offer because too many Asians went to your uni!

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yes, but I wouldn't want to go to do Commerce at an 'Asian' uni

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
GoodToGo said:
I could think of a thousand better jobs than Big4 accounting...but each to their own I guess.
But then we don't know any other surveys/statistics of the success rate of grads in finding jobs in Commerce... I remember there was a couple of sites which did research in these fields, but I've lost the bookmarks- anyone got them?

I personally would be interested to see where IBs get their grads from...

A

adamsaclown

hmm just on this topic, does anyone know why last year (not sure about this year with all the changes to commerce degrees at usyd at least), Usyd & Macquarie in their commerce/accounting/business degrees had 1 semester of stats and 1 semester of business info systems, while UNSW had 2 semesters of stats (or qmb or something)?

phrred

HSC
stazi said:
yes, but I wouldn't want to go to do Commerce at an 'Asian' uni
if u dont wanna do commerce with asians then go to a rural uni or do marketing or something coz u cant avoid them in sydney as much as u want to deny that there are no asians in usyd.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
phrred said:
if u dont wanna do commerce with asians then go to a rural uni or do marketing or something coz u cant avoid them in sydney as much as u want to deny that there are no asians in usyd.
We have quite a lot of European and US students doing sciences and arts based subjects.
Your eco & bus faculty has a lot more international students though (which is saying something considering how much $ we make off international students)

oh, and I'm majoring in marketing.

Last edited:

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Hey, someone on this post mentioned that USyd was better than UNSW for finance. According to who or what? I haven't seen any research done on this one, bust USyd guys repeating it until ppl accept it as true. Where are the facts on this one?

Everyone knows about UNSW's dominance in accounting because of the research done on it and the BRW articles on Big4 recruitment, but my understanding was that since UNSW houses all the top research facilities and has the largest school banking and finance, it would natually be No. 1 in that too.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)