Differences between USYD and UNSW for B Comm (1 Viewer)

biscuit

Hey all, i'm deciding whether to go to USYD or UNSW for a B Comm degree, prolly majoring in Economics/Finance or maybe Accounting

Just wondering if there are any differences between the two unis? I've read the other threads that are related to this matter, and it's still unclear.

Is one better at Comm than the other for undergrad?
Which uni generally has better industry links?

I'm hoping someone will point me in the right direction, thanks! :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
doesnt make much of a difference.

Asian? ---> UNSW
not? ---> USYD

UNSW has a better accounting department (but I wouldn't say that it'd cheat you out of jobs).

a_person86

HSC
UNSW has the best commerce degree followed by UTS B.Business.

UNSW has the biggest finance faculty so I don't see how you can say USYD is better. Also, I've been told that USYD is very theory based.

Depends what you are looking for... uni life would definitely be USYD.
If you want a better recognised degree go UNSW.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
a_person86 said:
UNSW has the best commerce degree followed by UTS B.Business.

UNSW has the biggest finance faculty so I don't see how you can say USYD is better. Also, I've been told that USYD is very theory based.

Depends what you are looking for... uni life would definitely be USYD.
If you want a better recognised degree go UNSW.
haha what? no it doesnt.
I would say that it's UNSW/USYD (based on what majors you want), then Maquarie BBA, then UTS, then other unis.

'bigger' doesn't always mean better.
And what? better recognised? They both have equal exceptional recognition.

And you've been TOLD usyd is very theory based. How do you compare the two. From what I hear USYD is rather practical in many subjects (accounting, marketing). Not sure about the others.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
You'd have to be pretty superficial to choose your university education based on the aesthetics of the buildings.

UNSW is strong at Financial and Retirement Economics (eg. Pensions systems). UNSW generally has a more applied focus than Usyd.

In Accounting and Finance, UNSW has superior industry links (eg. co-op program sponsors). Also, Accounting and Finance @ UNSW is ranked 1st in Asia-Pac in terms of research. So all in all, UNSW is the place to come.

As a student entering 1st yr, you shouldn't really make your choices based on half-assed advice. The best thing you should do is put down the combined degree Commerce/Economics at UNSW which gives you a lot of options:

- 3 majors (at least 1 from economics)
- the opportunity to drop back to normal Commerce

etc

EDIT: UNSW also has significantly more Finance electives.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Yes, for someone like you (the thread starter), I think that B Commere/Econ at UNSW is the best bet.

I do, however, think that the B Commerce has improved even more at USYD (more holistic prereqs). However, it will scare a lot of people off (having to study a govt unit, a mktg unit, etc)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
"Bigger" often implies better.

- more subjects to choose from
- greater diversity of research interests -> more ppl to supervise different research projects (eg. Honours)
- more research funding
- more casual lecturers ( who working in the industry. eg property investment )
- economies of scale in the delivery of subjects

etc

freshtire

Thanks for the advice; i'm leaning towards UNSW at the moment, however i'm still doing my research. I'll probably be changing my mind right up until the 5th (when preferences are considered)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
My penis is bigger than yours. But it doesn't mean I'm better at sex. It also gets more funding.

is a roflcopter
HSC
UNSW is clearly better at commerce
no need to argue :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I still stick to my:
Government & International Relations, Marketing, Industrial Relations & HRM (especially the IR part), Political Economy, Econometrics is better at USYD.
Economics and Finance are disputed a lot and I don't think anyone can really confirm.
Accounting is better at UNSW, as well as perhaps Information Systems and Decision Sciences.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
stazi said:
My penis is bigger than yours. But it doesn't mean I'm better at sex. It also gets more funding.
That's a ridiculous example. Your penis is determined at birth.

But with grants, it is competitive...you have to earn those grants thru original research. And synergies from research and industry have contributed to the School's grant success.

sarevok

HSC
stazi said:
Accounting is better at UNSW, as well as perhaps Information Systems...
My tutor for Introductory Information Systems, a postgraduate UNSW commerce student now teaching at USYD, told us that Information Systems is better at USYD than it is at UNSW. Dumb major anyway.

Anyway, the USYD v UNSW commerce argument has been rehashed ad nauseum with no definite conclusion. The guy who said UTS B. Business > Usyd B. Comm is on crack, however.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
§eraphim said:
That's a ridiculous example. Your penis is determined at birth.

But with grants, it is competitive...you have to earn those grants thru original research. And synergies from research and industry have contributed to the School's grant success.
no it's not. I used a penis pump.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
sarevok said:
My tutor for Introductory Information Systems, a postgraduate UNSW commerce student now teaching at USYD, told us that Information Systems is better at USYD than it is at UNSW. Dumb major anyway.

Anyway, the USYD v UNSW commerce argument has been rehashed ad nauseum with no definite conclusion. The guy who said UTS B. Business > Usyd B. Comm is on crack, however.
Your 'tutor'. That means nothing. Just like my marketing tutor who used to teach at unsw said that usyd is heaps better and she enjoys it here a lot more. Just because she feels it's better doesnt mean it IS better

sarevok

HSC
stazi said:
Your 'tutor'. That means nothing. Just like my marketing tutor who used to teach at unsw said that usyd is heaps better and she enjoys it here a lot more. Just because she feels it's better doesnt mean it IS better
illogical. having experienced both courses, a post-graduate would surely be experienced enough to comment on what they perceive as the better uni for the major; and surely more than you would be able to. on what are you basing your comment that information systems is better at unsw?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)