Deloitte to merge with Horwath Sydney (1 Viewer)

Conspirocy

HSC
seremify007 said:
It's bridging the gap but it's still got quite a bit to go before it catches up. Considering it's not exactly organic growth... it's difficult to see how things will play out in the long run.

And I still stand by my "culture" of the firm belief... it's not so much the culture of the firm itself, but the people which make up the firm. It's difficult to explain but I think when you start working you'll be able to see it...
with the culture thing. would another way of saying that be to say 'a certain type of person'.

if so, what type of person would you get where u work? i know its a generalisation, but if there really is a culture, there are generic things at one firm, that would be distinct from other firms. what would they be?

pmtruong

HSC
thanx for the replies. With KPMG 2 of my friends got in and they are complete opposites. One is a non-mainstream arty extrovert whilst the other is a a 4unit maths 99+ uai girl. However she was goin for tax so that is probly why. As for PWC i noticed in my interview there was probably a 60 40 ratio of girls to guys and allot of ppl there were from selective schools. PWC really seems to place value on academics...i dont think i met many ppl there hu didnt have a uai prediction of 94+ also i read somewhere that pwc cadets seem to be up themselves and the lecturers dont like them coz they think they r all that?...obviously doesnt apply to u seremify. But how true is this broad generalisation?

jon0_o

HSC
mm i think it's kinda true about selective schools and PwC, because that's the company that gave out the most interviews to people in my school (and it was the same last yr), whereas EY was only 1.

But they also said not many selective school people take cadetships cos they all want to do law and med, a lot of ppl in my school have a bad impression of accounting. but a lot of private people get them, because there's a culture/connections of private schools.

Last edited:

Conspirocy

HSC
what do you mean culture of private schools??

i went to a private school. My mates that got cadetships/ co - op scholarships were generally the people who were on scholarships at my school.

Also, as for getting the scholarships...we had some firms come to our school with old boys, practically begging us to apply for some of their cadetships in accounting. I think in the end no one applied. Sometimes private school students get these scholarships because of the extra curricular activities that are compulsorary at the school, e..g cadets, debating, sports --> i mean the school even creates positions to give students something to put on their CV (my school tried to give most people an opportunity to display leadership of some form). I think those little things help aid an application, if the candidates are similar on a marks basis. Of as a group, obviously selective school kids would be smarter

Last edited:

turtleface

HSC
I may have posted something similar in the past, but here are my impressions (these are my (light hearted) generalisations/stereotypes and not meant to offend anyone):

E&Y: bogans, yobbos, chicks who are more interested in looks than study
PwC: snobs, upper class people, more classy people in general
KPMG: an eclectic mix, either very good or very bad
Deloitte: people who aren't into academics that much and more into having fun/more outgoing/more enthusiastic communicators etc.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
turtleface said:
I may have posted something similar in the past, but here are my impressions (these are my (light hearted) generalisations/stereotypes and not meant to offend anyone):

E&Y: bogans, yobbos, chicks who are more interested in looks than study
PwC: snobs, upper class people, more classy people in general
KPMG: an eclectic mix, either very good or very bad
Deloitte: people who aren't into academics that much and more into having fun/more outgoing/more enthusiastic communicators etc.
ROFL good to hear that you aren't biased at all :p

j2i2z

HSC
jon0_o said:
a lot of ppl in my school have a bad impression of accounting.
how bad can it possibly be jono...u just turn out to be like bounce one day:D

and Hi5 Deloitteful undergrads of 2007! we're the newest breed at the firm!

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
j2i2z said:
how bad can it possibly be jono...u just turn out to be like bounce one day:D

and Hi5 Deloitteful undergrads of 2007! we're the newest breed at the firm!
Don't you mean grads? :p

Will you be starting at Deloitte next year? (or Horwath)

j2i2z

HSC
i'll be at deloittes nxt year coz according to the HR, horwath Sydney dun exist anymore...confusing eh?

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Yeah....do you much about whether you will be locating to Grosvenor Place (Deloitte HQ) or stay at the Horwath current office?

How do you feel about this? I have two friends from uni who will be in the same situation as you. One of them is happy about the merger, because she will be working for a Big4.

j2i2z

HSC
Um i think its gonna be at Deloitte's HQ
Im quiet excited about the merge, but i dont really know what to expect. I did research into Horwath wen i was going for the cadetship and really knew what i want. Now deloittes would be a completely different structure, work ethics, etc..

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
j2i2z said:
Im quiet excited about the merge, but i dont really know what to expect. I did research into Horwath wen i was going for the cadetship and really knew what i want. Now deloittes would be a completely different structure, work ethics, etc..
Oh you'll be a cadet. I thought you were a grad. :)

Do you know in which division you'll be working?

turtleface

HSC
j2i2z said:
They're all Chartered Firms and you'll be in the middle market/EGM/enterprise growth solutions whatever area so I think it should be similar.

Don't worry, Deloitte is a very social firm from what I've seen

jon0_o

HSC
Conspirocy said:
what do you mean culture of private schools??
like if more people working there are from pvt schools they're more inclined to hire private school people. Like their parents have contacts, they might know some old boys/girls etc who are from their school, or in general have friends of friends. Say if one day when I'm older if I have to employ someone, and there was a person from my school there I'd probably be slightly more inclined to look favourably on them (all other things equal of course) just because there's like a connection between us.

pmtruong

HSC
I agree private school ppl seem impressive with their long list of extracurricular activities that make them more employable. Fair enuf tho i doubt its descrimination against non private school ppl. I rekon they hire who they think will fit in wel. Even if they do get in by connections if they cant last and keep up they wil get kicked out eventually.

btw hi dils1989 and J2IZ look forward 2 meetin u nex yr and also redrum and ur friends! Pretty exciting i hope they still have motor industry services within middle market and i like the fact that deloitte is a smaller big 4 but the fact that its a big 4 is good as well coz theres more oportunities and better trainin i think. Ey dils and j21z jus wonderin waht uni u guys are most likely goin to and redrum du u know what uni ur friends r goin 2? im 70% set on uts business but still mite change to unsw depending if it stays as sandwhich prgram or changes to 2-2 like other big 4 companies.
and yeh horwath staff are some of the nicest ppl ive met so if deloitte is suppose to be very similar in culture then its all good!

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
My friends go to Mac. They are graduates though, unlike you guys. :)

dils1989

dilssssssssssss
HSC
umm im thinking of uts for convenience but yeh i still mite put unsw im not sure but i guess ill only make the decision after uai comes out. im quite excited abt the merger now, coz yeh it does mean more opportuinity, and also the way u guys are describing deloitte as a more social atmosphere its good. and we r gna be working at grosvenor place

also good luck to all u hsc ppl hout there, especially J2IZ and pmtruong

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
From what I've heard, the Horwath team in Deloitte will be acting pretty much like before with their own people/structure, except in Grov Place using the Deloitte branding. There won't be much change to the actual people involved. Support staff however...

IMO if you're at Deloitte, it's quite a bit of distance to both unis- so if you prefer one or the other, just go for it because either way, you'll be using Traveltens!

pmtruong

HSC
thanks dils. so happy that i never have to look at this pointless maths again. my best subject eco is nex so that will make up for it. Can u guys tell me how much and wat style of maths is involved in uni?
And jono at my skool (which is selective) it is really only the really smart uai-wise ppl that are goin for med. Other than that heaps are choosin commerce as they see that as the place where there will always be strong demand and employment opportunities. Also its da place where da moneys at and da place where u dont have to slave away for 6 years at uni whilst struglin to pay for those crazy high med fees. Despite this, many had thought of accounting as being somewhat like actuarial studies but with less maths and more menial bean counting. Their view of accounting was that of someone stuk in a dimly lit room behind an ever growing stack of papers with no life. However, after attending all the open days many are realising that all commerce involes accounting and that it provides an excellent platform for all areas of business. They are also realising how lucrative and in demand it is after seeing me and some of my friends with job offers alredy. Now accounting is probably jus as popular as finance for likely majors they will choose.
Do you guys notice this narrow minded strigma being attatched to accounting? And is there really a "new breed" of accountants which have book smarts and also interpersonal skills or do they continue to hire steriotyped accounting ppl with insane marks and no personal skills? Is it glossy propaganda that they are tellin us naive cadets to make accounting seem more desirable or is it really not that boring?...I've done Tafe accounting and that was pretty easy but i woodn wanna be doin that for the rest of my life...it progresses to way more than jus book keepin rite?
Also conspiracy looking forward to meetin u as well...funny how ur mid tier employer of choice has become ur big4 employer through aquisition but yeh its good i herd deloite are the highest payin big4? mor caching! hopefully my salary will also rise from 28k as well!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)