Deloitte to merge with Horwath Sydney (1 Viewer)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Deloitte to merge with Horwath Sydney

October 17, 2006 - 2:04PM

Professional services firm Deloitte has announced it will merge with the Sydney office of accounting consultancy Horwath.

Horwath Sydney's 27 partners and 245 staff will be merged with Deloitte's middle-market practice Growth Solutions.

Under the merger, Deloitte's Australian staff numbers will be boosted to 344 partners and more than 3500 staff, with revenue of $650 million.

Deloitte's Australian chief executive Giam Swiegers said the merger was a good strategic fit that would increase the company's presence in the middle market.

"The Sydney office of Horwath, already a powerful player in the NSW middle market, will join our fast growing national middle market practice, Growth Solutions, where they will continue to focus on high growth companies, high net worth individuals, and listed small caps," he said.

Horwath Sydney managing director Michael Stibbard said the merger would allow the firm to build on its current expertise.

"The merger of the rest of our practice with Deloitte Growth Solutions ensures we will continue to service our middle market clients' growing needs and to provide expanded opportunities to our staff," he said.

"Our Corporate and Forensic division will complement the services already being provided by Deloitte's Forensic group, while our Business Recovery and Insolvency division will complement the services provided by Deloitte's Corporate Recovery Group."

The merger is expected to take place in February next year.

Deloitte Australia's revenue was $520 million as at May 31 this year, an increase of 8 per cent on the previous year.

Its revenue is expected to grow by 18 per cent to more than $600 million in fiscal 2007, excluding the expected revenue from Horwath.

SMH - http://www.smh.com.au/news/business...-horwath-sydney/2006/10/17/1160850915656.html

pmtruong

HSC
yeh i jus got a call from human resources at horwath. we will be in there by late febrauray nex yr so pretty luki for me..i get to start my cadetship there!

pmtruong

HSC
yeh i jus got a call from human resources at horwath. we will be in there by late febrauray nex yr so pretty luki for me..i get to start my cadetship there!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
pmtruong said:
LOL I was talking to my friend from Horwath and we discussed the exact same point- pretty special being a cadet at Deloitte since they haven't offered cadetships for quite a few years now.

Anyhow, congrats :)

Do you guys know what division you will be placed in under the new structure?

... on a sidenote, considering it was only announced today at lunch, news sure travels fast around BoS!

lizbon

HSC
well, i guess it's not suprising, i mean it's not exactly a secret that Deloitte has been looking for a merger with numerous 2nd tier firms. Wonder if it's budgeted revenue will now rival EY or KPMG....

On the point of Horwath vacationer/cadet, it must feel quite awesome but weird.

pmtruong

HSC
Thanks seremify. Under the new structure i will be placed in its middle market advisory. Also i think she said they would continue to giv out cadetships. Do you know what kind of culture it is there? Also lizbon yeh it feels awesome but not really weird...more luki

dils1989

dilssssssssssss
HSC
yeh i got a call from HR this arvo as well telling me abt it - u r rite it is quite wierd but i guess its not much different juss a diff building we r working the growth solutions division with same ppl/same clients. ittl be interesting seeing as deloitte dont take cadets tho.. does ne1 no y that is? (that they dont take cadets)

ps pmtruong - jo sed the firm culture there is very similar to that of horwath and thats a reason y this move is so exciting

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
In my experience, Deloitte had a really open and friendly culture. Did a short stint back in 03 in ERS. Can't really say much else because at that age, I thought everyone seemed very friendly and approachable.

As for cadetships- they used to offer them until around 2002 I think? I remember the website hadn't been updated for a while and still mentioned traineeships even though they had stopped offering them. Since you guys haven't been to uni yet you haven't noticed but Deloitte has a very strong presence on the campus- stronger than any other firm I'd say; not to mention they also have their training program too for first years.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
First BDO Melbourne, now Horwath Sydney...I wonder about that "strategic fit". :p

So I'd be right in assuming that Horwath would be "consumed" by Deloitte? Will it still operate under Horwath or Deloitte? I got a couple of friends starting out at Horwath next year, so it'd be pretty awesome to have more people I know in the same firm. Also, Horwath has a solid female:male ration for us lads ;)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I believe they are moving to the Deloitte office and am betting they'll be operating using the Deloitte name; but hey, who's to say what can happen? Maybe they'll even spinoff a new MMA division? *shrugs*

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
redruM said:
First BDO Melbourne, now Horwath Sydney...I wonder about that "strategic fit". :p
keep ur deloitte paws off my BDO syd office rahul :p

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Haha. It just seems like since they feel they are losing ground on the other big 4 firms they'll just takeover other firms.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Pretty exciting news! In terms of culture, at the moment I have found very little differences between the culture at Deloitte and that of EY. Maybe its just my division but to me atm its the same.

turtleface

HSC
I think culture is recruitment propaganda made up by the firms/HR people/recruitment people etc lol

they're all the same lol (in my opinion)

Good to see Deloitte expand via acquisition rather than organic growth lol

pmtruong

HSC

Conspirocy

HSC
pmtruong said:
according to this new smh article http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/deloitte-to-absorb-horwath-sydney/2006/10/17/1160850931316.html
the merger will bring deloittes revenue to $650 million in fiscal 2007. How does this compare to the other big 4? Has it closed the gap much?

And about the culture i guess moreso does deloite hire certain types of people. I noticed seremify u sed some big 4 hire the sporty outgoing type whilst some hire people that only speak when appropriate...
if you go to the media release i posted from deloitte, and scroll to the bottom and open the abdobe full version of it, its got the stats on the big 4 and some b4 and after merger tables

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It's bridging the gap but it's still got quite a bit to go before it catches up. Considering it's not exactly organic growth... it's difficult to see how things will play out in the long run.

And I still stand by my "culture" of the firm belief... it's not so much the culture of the firm itself, but the people which make up the firm. It's difficult to explain but I think when you start working you'll be able to see it...

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I think culture wise it's PwC vs the other 3 =p It's true.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)