CSSA chem trial (1 Viewer)

Enigmatic Eve

HSC
Does anyone know for the multiple choice question, whether we had to find the conjugate acid or conjugate base og HPO4^-??

sig

HSC
pH of H2SO4 is C - 1.6

Diprotic therefore -log[2 x 0.0115] = 1.64

and the conjugate acid one was H2PO4- wasn't it?

Enigmatic Eve

HSC
sig said:
pH of H2SO4 is C - 1.6

and the conjugate acid one was H2PO4- wasn't it?
So the answer is H2PO4-?? I think I got that....
Oh bummer... I got that pH question wrong!!!
Oh well....

Premus

you guys reckon that they will give 1mark for the equation for that titration question?? haha

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
sig said:
pH of H2SO4 is C - 1.6

hmm.... I still chose 1.9 knowing full well that it was diprotic. The reason being that the second ionisation stage is in equilibrium, so we cant assume complete ionisation like the first stage. Guess we have to wait. :confused:

persephone

HSC
I chose 1.6. I thought they were trying to be tricky. plus I was reading over pH before I got into the exam. I thought I got it right...know you're all scaring me

persephone

HSC
okay this posted twice...i'm just editing it...ignore this....
yeah chem trial...hard :)

Enigmatic Eve

HSC
Heinz said:
hmm.... I still chose 1.9 knowing full well that it was diprotic. The reason being that the second ionisation stage is in equilibrium, so we cant assume complete ionisation like the first stage. Guess we have to wait. :confused:
Ooh.. very smart.... I'll use what you said to talk myself out that I got that question wrong.. Lol

sig

HSC
yes under any normal time I would have chosen 1.9

However I've been screwed over by a question like this before over the past papers i've done...the answer assumed it was diprotic so yeah I've always been assuming it ionises to it's fulllest...but then again isn't H2SO4 a strong acid thus it'll ionise completely in water?

Enigmatic Eve

HSC
Yeh... I'm just in denial.. H2SO4 is a strong acid and I believe that it does fully ionise in water.... bummer!! Oh well.. what can I do.... it's over now... more things to worry about

persephone

HSC
you're scaring me...move on to another question....like the standard potential thing....

Enigmatic Eve

HSC
persephone said:
you're scaring me...move on to another question....like the standard potential thing....
I hated that question.. didn't understand what it was going on about... so I made up crap.. hopefully they'll give me at least one mark out of sympathy. Does anyone know the correct answer to the question?

Oz

HSC
yakked on about hydrogen gas and inert Pt electrodes, hopfully got the marks, so annoyed about the sulfer question, read 1% not 0.1% so lost a mark (assuming i got it right in the 1st place that is)

xeriphic

what was the standard potential question again roughly, as for the inert electrodes question, i wrote the half equation of OH- not sure if it's right, because of NaOH and OH- is preferabily oxidised

Enigmatic Eve

HSC
What was everyone's responses for the AAS (6 mark) question?!
How about the heat of combustion (6 mark) of alkanols question?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
coca cola said:
30g = 30 ml (since the Q specifies that 1 ml/g)

therefore the total volume in the flask is 30ml, but 20ml is already occupied by the NaOH solution already in there.

therefore there must be only 10ml of H2SO4 added.

volume ratio is 2:1, mole ratio is 1:2. therefore molarity must be equal.
I believe, however, that the question stated that the scale had already been 'zeroed' with the alkaline solution on it.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
Heinz said:
exactly the same as you
CSSA ambigous kings are at it again.
i forgot what the question said exactly but it never mentioned any ionisation stages etc so its either discluded or both are counted, otherwise i have a cry ^_^

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Its a dot point, of course it's important, and you should know by now that those 6-8 markers usually come from history/impact on society type dot points.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)