CSSA chem trial (1 Viewer)

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
How was it? It wasnt as bad as I thought itd be.

sig

HSC
Q5. the exothermic pair....

?? no idea at all

HSC
the exothermic pair was the combustion and the dehydration one i got it wrong cause i thought it was fermentation i changed my answer :( if i had just left it, one more needed mark for me :( i also changed my answer for bloody fermentation as (aq) and (aq) to (s) and (l)....im such a dumbass...oh, and stoopid titration question...and the question about the standard potentials table...eugh ! pretty crappy overall

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
i put c for that one
fucken had no idea...

also that combustion of carbon with sulfur
i just realised i stuffed it!

i did
CS + O2 --> C + SO2

and just now i realise its CS2 + 2O2 --> C + 2SO2

my first answer for L of Sulfur was like 6 million or 6 thousand L i think, some shit like that :/, CM_Tutor help us out yo :)

Apart from that it wasn't a bad test...
was the concentration of the NaOH in the titration thingo 0.075 mol/L? thats what i put , it was either that or 0.3 mol/L

oh for that question about potentials i just said each thingo was performed under 1 mol/L electrolyte concentration, as different concentrations wouldn't give a control

FEW i had such a hard time with that mutliple choice in fermentation till i realised no way would ethanol form as a pure (l) so i just shoved in the (aq) one :)

overall, good test, now for 2u 3u sdd and physics...

gl to all for them ^_^

Last edited:

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
There was alot of time, I left after 2 hours. What the hell was that standard potential one? I just kept crapping on about STP and SLC. 7 marks for the last industrial chem question.... pretty easy.

Mike iE

HSC
I thought the test was quite esay, but i did really bad. I didn't do enough revision, because i focused on PD, but i expected it. Hope the HSC is like that !!

HSC
you get to leave early ?! *jealous

so much time wasted when i sat there not knowing anything when i couldve walked down to maccas

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
[4m th4 8ur82] said:
you get to leave early ?! *jealous

so much time wasted when i sat there not knowing anything when i couldve walked down to maccas
Yeah, just checked with the supervisor, showed them all my work then left. Saw my chem teacher on the way out, he said it was pretty easy too.

persephone

HSC
it was easy but i wish i had studied more and i didn't. we're not allowed to leave the room our school has this thing that we have to stay for the whole 3 hours. It was so long....and I had finished. BTW what was that whole dissolving ethanol in water and pentane? So had no idea. Made up something about forces... I just really want to pass...

sig

HSC
The *think* the exothermic pair was the fermentation/combustion one....

this is from the website (googled) http://www.place.dawsoncollege.qc.ca/~rhanna/Ferment.htm

Alcohol fermentation is an anaerobic (no oxygen), exothermic (heat-releasing) process in which sugars break down into ethyl alcohol CH3CH2OH and carbon dioxide gas, catalysed by microbial or fungal enzymes.

Enigmatic Eve

HSC
Oh crap!!! Can't believe it!!! I got that sulfur/carbon question wrong!! Didn't read the q properly!! How many marks was it worth?!! Dude... I totally forgot about the carbon: eqn I used was S + O2 ----> SO2
Anyway... just agreeing with everyone that the Chemistry Catholic trials were easier than I expected!! Yay!!!
For the molarity question, I got 0.3mol/L. Is that the correct answer?!! I sure hope it is!!!
Lol... I was blown off by the standard potentials questiong.... made a lot of crap up.... hopefully I can scab at least one mark for it.... hee hee!
Anyways, good luck everyone for the rest of your trials!!
Take care

Enigmatic Eve

HSC
Ooh... sorry everyone.
But wat was the answer to the exothermic pair multiple choice?!
I remember colouring the bubble A: combustion and fermentation.
Is that the correct answer?!!

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Enigmatic Eve said:
Oh crap!!! Can't believe it!!! I got that sulfur/carbon question wrong!! Didn't read the q properly!! How many marks was it worth?!! Dude... I totally forgot about the carbon: eqn I used was S + O2 ----> SO2
what do you mean? thats the same equation I used. Just calculated how much sulfur was in the coal (0.1% of the 10 million kgs) and then did the calculations. Youve got me worried now :p

Enigmatic Eve

HSC
Li0n said:
also that combustion of carbon with sulfur
i just realised i stuffed it!

i did
CS + O2 --> C + SO2

and just now i realise its CS2 + 2O2 --> C + 2SO2

my first answer for L of Sulfur was like 6 million or 6 thousand L i think, some shit like that :/, CM_Tutor help us out yo :)

Which equation is correct??! Sorry, but I'm confused!!

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
is fermentation really an exothermic reaction?? wow!, i knew it was A or B but i reasoned that when we sweat, we lose heat, so dehydration must be the same thing. O well, ithought i did pretty well in everything else. The STP aND SLC, was tricky at first, AAS was a dream come true and the last question in industrial chem was ok. We'll see how i go, i reckon we should all put up our marks on this test ok?

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
SpoRTsGaL said:
i got like 270 000 for that carbon one with 1% sulfur. i knew it was wrong. i can't do chem calculations!!! The irony is i do 4unit maths!

oh and i don't know what you people are talking about with the eqn.

i remember 10 million kg coal with 1% sulfur right. dont we just multiply by 0.01 and then find the no.moles of sulfur in thiat ammount? then we use stoic ratios! no probs

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
mr EaZy said:
i reckon we should all put up our marks on this test ok?
Good idea. The catholic trial is probably one of the only times before the HSC where a large group of students are tested. Good for comparison purposes ;)

mr EaZy said:
i remember 10 million kg coal with 1% sulfur right. dont we just multiply by 0.01 and then find the no.moles of sulfur in thiat ammount? then we use stoic ratios! no probs
Thats what I did as well. Were either both right or ... not.

keitaro

short response/long response

can someone list all the short resonse and the long response questions?

so that the people who did neap can compare?

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
Question 5 in multiple choice is stupid
its not in the fucken syllabus, it doesn't say 'identify bla as an exothermic reaction'
no text book i know shows Delta H = - whatever.....
so thats stupid

damn CSSA homo squad pull of another non syllabuser.

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Li0n said:
Question 5 in multiple choice is stupid
its not in the fucken syllabus, it doesn't say 'identify bla as an exothermic reaction'
no text book i know shows Delta H = - whatever.....
so thats stupid

damn CSSA homo squad pull of another non syllabuser.
Same goes for the one on standard conditions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)