Commerce degrees at UNSW, Usyd (1 Viewer)

Humble Chad

HSC
Hello
I was just wondering whether it is better to study commerce at UNSW if you plan to major in finance/business law or better to enroll in the dalyell scholar program at USYD for commerce?
Is the USYD Dalyell scholar program worth it for commerce?
Cheers

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
As far as I’ve heard from usyd students Dalyell is overrated and a way to grab students...

As for commerce and what not it’s better at unsw but nothing too drastic that anyone will notice.

RishBonjour

HSC
They are both the same.

Given that most employers/HR do like seeing CVs that are beefed up, I would probably pick the Dalyell scholars (I don't know much about it, did commerce from usyd before it existed but hey it says 'scholar' so you must be good?). What do you mean by 'worth it'? Is it worth travelling 1 hour one way each way? Probably not.

One of the best finance courses run in Australia is by Usyd (e.g. look at the CFA challenge, dominated by Usyd).

sida1049

HSC
I echo the above; both unis are generally considered on-par for commerce.

With regards to Dalyell Scholars, as @Drdusk mentioned, the general consensus is that it's there to attract high achieving students. The program may be more useful for science or engineering as it provides research/project experience with academics, it doesn't seem to offer as much for commerce. (Apparently you can pick Dalyell projects from other faculties, but this might not interest you.) That said, Dalyell Scholars is pretty low-commitment, since you only need to take two Dalyell units, which you can do during the summer/winter break. If you choose to do this, definitely do this during the first year uni breaks, since you should be searching for internship/research opportunities during later years (i guess that solves the problem of the boring first year summer break lol). So as @RishBonjour mentioned, if you think that having the fancy name will significantly distinguish you from thousands of other commerce graduates, then go for it.

But largely, don't let the Dalyell Scholar program sway your choice. Maybe check out the specific degree structures for both unis and what they offer in terms of courses and opportunities.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I googled it and it sounds like it's really just another generic program to improve your employability and it's open to those who get an ATAR >98 (or less if you meet certain requirements). Whilst it sounds alright, honestly you'd probably get better chances by actually doing something meaningful outside of academics and either developing skills or learning more about how you interact with others, etc... these will have a much more significant impact on your CV and interview.

EDIT: Just realised my own company is an industry partner/sponsor lol...

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
While its great to see scholar on a CV, it is only interesting for your first employer.

Just like an ATAR, after you get into a business, it doesn't matter much after that.

I would prefer to hire someone who can solve a problem proactively and can interact well with the team and my stakeholders.

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
One of the best finance courses run in Australia is by Usyd (e.g. look at the CFA challenge, dominated by Usyd).
do you know how competitive it is to get in a team for this? I would be really interested in doing it (given that is quite favorably looked upon in cvs, but also because I am interested in this area of work post-uni). Am just unsure as to how many teams can do it per uni since it is up to discretion of uni/supervisor ultimately. Will most likely be starting CFA level 1 come 2025

Whatmathsdoineed

HSC
do you know how competitive it is to get in a team for this? I would be really interested in doing it (given that is quite favorably looked upon in cvs, but also because I am interested in this area of work post-uni). Am just unsure as to how many teams can do it per uni since it is up to discretion of uni/supervisor ultimately. Will most likely be starting CFA level 1 come 2025
hey dude

what parts of advanced and extension maths do I need to absolutely be prepared for a finance major as well as the IFY courses at UNSW? I do standard, dropped from advanced in year 12 but I’m looking to basically catch up on everything I need and completely grind and master that.

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
hey dude

what parts of advanced and extension maths do I need to absolutely be prepared for a finance major as well as the IFY courses at UNSW? I do standard, dropped from advanced in year 12 but I’m looking to basically catch up on everything I need and completely grind and master that.
wassup

I don't do a commerce degree so am not sure on all the IFY courses. I do an economics degree, however I will major in finance/accounting. Also given I did law last year I didn't need to do the IFY classes, so only had 1 term worth of exposure.

The most math heavy ones seem to be COMM1100 (which is ECON1101 Microeconomics 1 equiv), COMM1140 Financial Management and COMM1180 value creation (which I will do in t2). COMM1140 isn't challenging maths-wise, it is pretty much addition/subtraction/fractions and looking at/picking data from balance sheet/income statement. tbh I wouldn't say you really need to 'catch up on anything'.

Whatmathsdoineed

HSC
wassup

I don't do a commerce degree so am not sure on all the IFY courses. I do an economics degree, however I will major in finance/accounting. Also given I did law last year I didn't need to do the IFY classes, so only had 1 term worth of exposure.

The most math heavy ones seem to be COMM1100 (which is ECON1101 Microeconomics 1 equiv), COMM1140 Financial Management and COMM1180 value creation (which I will do in t2). COMM1140 isn't challenging maths-wise, it is pretty much addition/subtraction/fractions and looking at/picking data from balance sheet/income statement. tbh I wouldn't say you really need to 'catch up on anything'.
hmm ok

any idea what kind of maths is in COMM1100/ECON1101 HSC wise?

also the mandatory finance core requirements like FINS2624 look pretty weird, or maybe it’s just cause I haven‘t learnt anything and I’m just unfamiliar

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
hmm ok

also the mandatory finance core requirements like FINS2624 look pretty weird, or maybe it’s just cause I haven‘t learnt anything and I’m just unfamiliar
no but you can ask @Masaken, they did COMM1100 in this term.

For 2nd year and onwards finance core courses, such as FINS2624, I can't comment on as I'm only first year of the major still - haven't done any of those courses. I would have a look on websites such as studocu to figure out what exactly is required - some content looks familiar from what I know. Maybe differentiation given optimisation is looked at. You'll come to understand it more in the coming years once you start the degree/major etc - I only know it from self-study.

Whatmathsdoineed

HSC
no but you can ask @Masaken, they did COMM1100 in this term.

For 2nd year and onwards finance core courses, such as FINS2624, I can't comment on as I'm only first year of the major still - haven't done any of those courses. I would have a look on websites such as studocu to figure out what exactly is required - some content looks familiar from what I know. Maybe differentiation given optimisation is looked at. You'll come to understand it more in the coming years once you start the degree/major etc - I only know it from self-study.
tysm

Just found this, is anyone of this stuff beyond extension 1? Is all of this taught in 2u and 3u? If so, I think I know exactly what I need to do moving forward :)

Attachments

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
can't speak too much for econ1101 since i only did comm1100, but in comm1100 the only maths that was needed was in the economic aspect of the course but it was all basic arithmetical calculations, the kind you can do on paper (and occasionally in your head) if you really wanted to (some formulas but they're all basic like Profit = Total Revenue - Total Cost). comm1100 also has other aspects to the course econ1101 doesn't (since econ1101 is for the economics degree and comm1100 for the more diverse commerce degree) but those are purely content-based. no hsc math background needed in my opinion for comm1100 (can't say for the whole degree yet but it's not extension 1-type of math that's required) so it doesn't really matter.

also the comm1100 exams that aren't case study reports are multiple choice and numerical response (💀) so again there's not much math being demanded of you there

Whatmathsdoineed

HSC
can't speak too much for econ1101 since i only did comm1100, but in comm1100 the only maths that was needed was in the economic aspect of the course but it was all basic arithmetical calculations, the kind you can do on paper (and occasionally in your head) if you really wanted to (some formulas but they're all basic like Profit = Total Revenue - Total Cost). comm1100 also has other aspects to the course econ1101 doesn't (since econ1101 is for the economics degree and comm1100 for the more diverse commerce degree) but those are purely content-based. no hsc math background needed in my opinion for comm1100 (can't say for the whole degree yet but it's not extension 1-type of math that's required) so it doesn't really matter.

also the comm1100 exams that aren't case study reports are multiple choice and numerical response (💀) so again there's not much math being demanded of you there
really appreciate it, thank you so much

liamkk112

HSC
tysm

Just found this, is anyone of this stuff beyond extension 1? Is all of this taught in 2u and 3u? If so, I think I know exactly what I need to do moving forward :)
2.5, 2.8 and 2.9 are usually taught in sem1/sem2 maths courses at uni depends on which one u go to (although 2.8 and 2.9 pretty much just extend extension 1 content a little bit, and 2.5 is pretty easy to understand). 3 and 4 are somewhat touched on in ext1 but chances are they will be covered in much more detail in uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)