Co-op Program Interviews!!! Who received one and for what? (1 Viewer)

Hardenne

HSC
ah k, thanks, because im torn between law/commerce at macq, or this co-op program, AHH, makes me go crazy

HSC
perhaps 1000, but eve then thats dicey considering 660 ppl applied in the first place, and not everyone gets more than one interview.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
She hasn't replied to SMS.. sorry guys.

As for the coop thing- IIRC you have to put that course as your number 1 preference on the UAC form anyway? They came to our school and told us that if we aren't putting it as our number 1 preference- don't bother applying.

Btw I could be wrong about that- but that is the message that the lady either said explicitly or was implying when she gave the powerpoint presentation and stuff... but then, if you get a coop you'd probably end up swapping your prefs round so that it was your number1? *shrugs*

EDIT: Forgot to mention (just in case other unis have coops)- this was when the UNSW coop lady came to our school.

EDIT2: I thought I'd rephrase this (but leave the original post in case anyone wondered what I said)... I remember her saying something about if you are applying for a Commerce coop, then you MUST be planning to do Commerce normally and if you don't get the coop you would be doing normal B Comm at UNSW.

Last edited:

Lil Clutch

HSC
i got an interview for mining engineering-pretty stoked cos i thought my application was shit! and my school photo was shocking, hehe-not that they would turn someone down because of that! im jsut being silly. i hate interviews thou, ive had three already-two for university of wollongong early entry-which i got in for mining eng, and the other was for med chem but i dont want to do that, also i had another big one at bluescope steel for a cadetship and that interview was tough (an hour long!) so not scared about interview, it says not to bring anything unless u were born outside of aus-does that mean we dont even have to bring our portfolio etc.

who else got one for mining? i dont think theyre are many people for mining, but then again, i really dont know. just speculating. yay two trips to sydney! (i live in wollongong, its really not too bad-the traveling)

well good luck people, hope i get to meet nice new people on open day and interview day!

R_6

~*pixie_poo*~ said:
congratulations to those who got the interview!!!

<CENTER> i also got one! in industrial chemistry :D

i had put chemical engineering as my first choice... and industrial chemistry as my second choice... but i actually wanted to do the indiustrial chemistry more than the engineering.. so i guess i was lucky!!

goodluck for the interviews to those who got one

and would anyone know how many people were actually offered an interview this year?? im just curious..
got 1 for industrial chem as well :D

congratzz for those who got interview and Good Luck :)

richz

seremify007 said:
She hasn't replied to SMS.. sorry guys.

As for the coop thing- IIRC you have to put that course as your number 1 preference on the UAC form anyway? They came to our school and told us that if we aren't putting it as our number 1 preference- don't bother applying.

Btw I could be wrong about that- but that is the message that the lady either said explicitly or was implying when she gave the powerpoint presentation and stuff... but then, if you get a coop you'd probably end up swapping your prefs round so that it was your number1? *shrugs*

EDIT: Forgot to mention (just in case other unis have coops)- this was when the UNSW coop lady came to our school.

EDIT2: I thought I'd rephrase this (but leave the original post in case anyone wondered what I said)... I remember her saying something about if you are applying for a Commerce coop, then you MUST be planning to do Commerce normally and if you don't get the coop you would be doing normal B Comm at UNSW.
nah i dont think thats true, for uts, yes u have to put it as ur first preference but for unsw, u dont have to

spindivision

HSC
say that they were to give out a conditional offer for the scholarship just based on the interview......what would happen if your results were a bit lower than they ideally want or you don't get an offer from uac for the course? is there still any chance they'll let you in if they really like you, or is it simply that if uac don't give you an offer for that course, you can't have the scholarship?

gman03

HSC
spindivision said:
if uac don't give you an offer for that course, you can't have the scholarship?
That. No offer -> can't do that degree.

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
seremify007 said:
I rang my friend up and she said it's somewhere between 9,000 and 10,000 interviews... >_>
How is thata possible though? It said there were around 660 applicants and nobody got 10 interviews.

I'd say 400-500 would make more sense, as people get more than one interview.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I still can't believe it's between 9,000 and 10,000... but hey, she's helping them organise the coop interviews and also said that the number was much higher than what she had expected- and so far, she's the only person whom I know has any connections with running the coop program. The figure still does sound somewhat unlikely... but until I hear it from someone else...

Sharpshooter

Random Hobo
HSC
seremify007 said:
I still can't believe it's between 9,000 and 10,000... but hey, she's helping them organise the coop interviews and also said that the number was much higher than what she had expected- and so far, she's the only person whom I know has any connections with running the coop program. The figure still does sound somewhat unlikely... but until I hear it from someone else...
umm 1st yr coops do data entry for the ppl applying thus get to see applications. i think the acct coops are the only ones that help with the selection process for interviews, though its only a small part compared to the rating given by the coop office.

9-10k. ummm no. at coopsoc meeting i was reading the little board they had up with no. of 1st pref applicants for each program, no. of interviews given and no. of spots available. the only way i could see 9-10k working was if it was done by total programs applied for? i.e. if i applied for 4 programs that in effect would be 4 applications? but they go through your first pref so i still dont see where that sort of number comes from. estimates around hundreds of applicants are correct, lol though the vast majority of which were from the selective schools and a few "top" private schools.

no point wondering what your "odds" (i.e. no. of spots/ no. of interviews... lol though i did that alot) are from interview to selection, esp with the fact many ppl have multiple interviews, people have last minute dreams of medicine etc. it differs for each program but point is that if you got an interview you have a very realistic chance of making the cut, so practice or whatever it is that you do and youll be fine :)

also if your tossing up btwn whether you really want coop or if your heart is in a double degree or a totally different degree, dont go thru a process when someone else could want it much more than you and make more of the opportunity. coop gives u heaps of opportunities thus why alot of ppl apply for it, and if you dont have your heart set on something or you cant really see yourself there in the future or dont think its really for you, then you may not enjoy it, you may drop out (hahaha and then be forced to pay the money back :p) and so on. lol from the other side of the arguement, if you got a shot why not take it ;-)

HSC
lol, 9000 - 10000 ppl up for nterviews would mean that 1 out of 7 peaople who applied for university in nsw (70000+ uni applicatants) got an interview for the co-op program.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
What kind of things do they ask at the interview? Is it mainly about our motivation and reasons for applying for that certain program, or do they ask questions about our written application as well? A half-an-hour interview seems like a fair bit...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Sharpshooter said:
umm 1st yr coops do data entry for the ppl applying thus get to see applications. i think the acct coops are the only ones that help with the selection process for interviews, though its only a small part compared to the rating given by the coop office.

9-10k. ummm no. at coopsoc meeting i was reading the little board they had up with no. of 1st pref applicants for each program, no. of interviews given and no. of spots available. the only way i could see 9-10k working was if it was done by total programs applied for? i.e. if i applied for 4 programs that in effect would be 4 applications? but they go through your first pref so i still dont see where that sort of number comes from. estimates around hundreds of applicants are correct, lol though the vast majority of which were from the selective schools and a few "top" private schools.
Fair enough =] I don't really know what she was referring to... *shrugs* and yeh you're right- she is a 1st yr.

also if your tossing up btwn whether you really want coop or if your heart is in a double degree or a totally different degree, dont go thru a process when someone else could want it much more than you and make more of the opportunity. coop gives u heaps of opportunities thus why alot of ppl apply for it, and if you dont have your heart set on something or you cant really see yourself there in the future or dont think its really for you, then you may not enjoy it, you may drop out (hahaha and then be forced to pay the money back :p) and so on. lol from the other side of the arguement, if you got a shot why not take it ;-)
I agree with you on that (and for cadetships/etc)... it's kinda sad when you see ppl going through this and then getting a spot, when they really have no interest in it whatsoever apart from the "Hmm.. i wonder if I can get a coop"- and then you see ppl who really would've wanted to have those opportunities and tried to get in but just missed the cut. I'm not saying don't apply for these things, but if you aren't really interested, then don't take the opportunity away from someone who actually is.

sunny

meh.
HSC
HSC
N/A
is the interview the only process you go through before they make their decisions...or are there second round interviews?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)