Co-op Program Interviews!!! Who received one and for what? (1 Viewer)

Sharpshooter

Random Hobo
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Does anybody know if you can go in exchange in Co-op?
exchange is encouraged/reccomended in co-op. for most programs (check your programs website, you cant go in first year and you have to be studying full time i.e. not during IT, to go) one can usually go in 2nd year 2nd semester or 4th year 2nd semester.
heaps of ppl dont go, its your choice really, but yes you definately can go

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Nah didn't get one- but then I didn't apply^^ I was considering it... but then decided couldn't be bothered since the questions were too hard, and I didn't feel like doing an accounting coop since I am more than happy with my cadetship (thought I'd add this in for xrtzx's post).

The sponsors are really impressive (Source: http://co-op.web.unsw.edu.au/content.aspx?URL=sponsor/currentsponsors.htm#accounting )... Just looking at it, I can see PwC, EY, KPMG and Deloitte on the Accounting list!

Congrats to those who got in =] and to those who didn't, it's not the end of the world^^

Last edited:

Numero Uno

HSC
underthebridge said:
What co-op program interview did you get numero uno?
got one for mining and telecommunications

and about the double degree i would be interested in combining with science or commerce , it'll opens up more options.

hmm i got to buy some formal wear , ill just wear the same thing im going to wear to the formal :)

richz

seremify007 said:
Nah didn't get one- but then I didn't apply^^ I was considering it... but then decided couldn't be bothered since the questions were too hard, and I didn't feel like doing an accounting coop.

The sponsors are really impressive (Source: http://co-op.web.unsw.edu.au/content.aspx?URL=sponsor/currentsponsors.htm#accounting )... Just looking at it, I can see PwC, EY, KPMG and Deloitte on the Accounting list!

Congrats to those who got in =] and to those who didn't, it's not the end of the world^^
wtf, wud u want coop, if u could get a cadetship with those guys? Cadetships are so much better, like 20k a year and they employ u. btw im not interested in accounting.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Sharpshooter said:
exchange is encouraged/reccomended in co-op. for most programs (check your programs website, you cant go in first year and you have to be studying full time i.e. not during IT, to go) one can usually go in 2nd year 2nd semester or 4th year 2nd semester.
heaps of ppl dont go, its your choice really, but yes you definately can go
Awesome! I'm definitely accepting Co-op if I get it. :D

stryder_au

[ - єsçãpè - ]
HSC
hey do you guys know if it is possible to do a double major with the co-op? and will this show on the title of your degree? e.g. doing the ISM co-op and then co-majoring in accounting [ B. Commerce (ISM & Acc) ]

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
xrtzx said:
wtf, wud u want coop, if u could get a cadetship with those guys? Cadetships are so much better, like 20k a year and they employ u. btw im not interested in accounting.
Alot of people in the past however have "double-dipped" and applied even when they were already offered cadetships but yeh, I was gunning for a cadetship from the beginning and since I got one at the firm I wanted to join; didn't really feel like wasting people's time by applying for a co-op... although I did consider it to see how I'd fare but.. bleh- it's rather selfish of me to apply anyway.

On a sidenote... not everyone got into cadetships (or into firms they wanted) and some people prefer to focus on studies rather than employment- remember; cadets go to university at night time and work full time during the day...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
stryder_au said:
hey do you guys know if it is possible to do a double major with the co-op? and will this show on the title of your degree? e.g. doing the ISM co-op and then co-majoring in accounting [ B. Commerce (ISM & Acc) ]
If it's like a normal double major it should appear on your degree (IIRC my sister's one had both her business law and accounting on it); as for double major.. my friend is doing coop in marketing at UNSW and the other major is HR- so i think you're free to pick what you want to do.

EDIT: I just checked my sister's one from UNSW and it says;
UNSW said:
This is to certify that

Name
has this day been admitted by the Council to the degree of

Bachelor of Commerce
in Accounting
and Business Law
with Merit
... then there are some signatures and stuff.

EDIT2: I just realised this might not answer your Q if it goes into the "Title" of your degree... this is just her diploma thing?

Last edited:
HSC
xrztx, there are plenty of advantages that a co-op has on a cadetship, and also plenty of disadvantages, it just depends on the person. The variety of companies you do work with I believe are better than working with the one firm, and whilst they are not obliged to employ you after uni, having worked in more than one company means you may have multiple job offers. With cadetships you get 20k+ in the first two years working full time and then you are given grants and such in the years at full time uni. Whilst its still more than the money given on a co-op, it's not a substantial difference, and in many cases, cadets spend more time working at their firm than co-ops spend on industrial training, so that why some people prefer the accoutning co-op.

In my case, I wated actuarial studies so I applied for this cos there are no cadetships for those keen on being an actuary.

EDIT: Money is not everything too (how cliche), I only want enough to get through uni without having to do a substantial amount of part time work.

Last edited:

richz

seremify007 said:
Alot of people in the past however have "double-dipped" and applied even when they were already offered cadetships but yeh, I was gunning for a cadetship from the beginning and since I got one at the firm I wanted to join; didn't really feel like wasting people's time by applying for a co-op... although I did consider it to see how I'd fare but.. bleh- it's rather selfish of me to apply anyway.

On a sidenote... not everyone got into cadetships (or into firms they wanted) and some people prefer to focus on studies rather than employment- remember; cadets go to university at night time and work full time during the day...
yep, sorry if i sounded a bit pissed, i wasnt meant to say it that way.

to underthebridge, yes true, they both have ads and disads, but personally if i was doing accounting, i would apply for a cadetship. Yes, tru they do not have cadetships for acturial, i was just talking about acounting, finance etc

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If anyone's still considering coop vs. cadetship; I think coop people tend to have more of a normal uni life (it is after all a scholarship with work placement) whereas cadets (from my sister's experience) tend to mix with cadets because they go to uni at odd hours and work during the day. Cadetships are, as they are advertised, a way to "accelerate your career" because people who graduate are elegible to commence PY (Chartered Accounting) straight after completing their degree, and at the very least, having work experience in an accounting firm is better than none at all =] Nonetheless, I think the coop program is a great idea for people who want work experience but don't need the money or stress associated with working a full time job.

Btw cadets aren't guaranteed a job- in fact they aren't even guaranteed the grant during uni- there are plenty of exit clauses in our contracts should we be deemed unsuitable^^ Although I can't think of anyone who didn't get the grant/job offer- usually people deemed unsuitable tend to resign/withdraw on their own accord.

~*pixie_poo*~

HSC
congratulations to those who got the interview!!!

<CENTER> i also got one! in industrial chemistry :D

i had put chemical engineering as my first choice... and industrial chemistry as my second choice... but i actually wanted to do the indiustrial chemistry more than the engineering.. so i guess i was lucky!!

goodluck for the interviews to those who got one

and would anyone know how many people were actually offered an interview this year?? im just curious..

serge

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Do you actually get job offers from sponsor companies in your final year of a co-op?
depends if they want you...

there's not contractual agreement
that forces you to pursue
further employment, and there's
no reason why they have to hire you...

but if you've been good it is
"assumed" you will think about
work with a co-op sponsor before
any other company

(it's all in the brochure)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
As long as you're decent I think you usually end up with a job offer... but then even if they don't, you've got work experience IN THE INDUSTRY under your belt.

HSC
N/A
i am still really curious about the number of interview offers they gave out.
i know i probably won't get a coop, but its nice to now that we've made it to the interview rounds...

As to what you'll wear...theres no way that i am going to be wearing a suit (as many did in the brochure) to the interviews in this weather.
for the open day...just wear something casual and comfortable

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'll ask my frd who helps them organise the interviews for coop at UNSW. It's kinda funny- they just get the current coop students to help sort everything out~

Update: My friend said she thinks there are 10 000 interviews, and that "getting an interview is really good already." ROFL I won't say who she is but she's featured in the UNSW brochure^^

(Note: I think she might've pressed the 0 key one too many times; she was sms'ing me whilst driving I think- I'm gonna call her after to confirm)

Last edited:

Hardenne

HSC
I was just wondering, like lets say that we got into the co-op program, after all the interviews etc..Like after we get our uai, we dont have to go into the program right, like you can change to something else?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)