Class of 2025 (2025 HSC CHAT) (1 Viewer)

melanie_o

HSC
Omg, guys, I did my 3u maths assessment and I got 30% :)/). It was perms and combs + binomial. It was entirely my fault, I HATED the topic. All of the marks I got were for binomial (since algebra>>>). I felt stupid during Perms + Combs.

Though, I've looked at the other topics in prelim and I find them interesting (I'm weak at the knees for graphing and trig). Should I drop 3u and focus on 2u (AT1 - 88% -> all wrong marks were careless errors 😭 )? I've looked at 4u for y12 and the complex number topics look interesting. If I work hard on perms + combs can I have a 3u comeback in 12? Also, does anyone have any advice for perms + combs because I legitimately feel stupid, even the supposedly 'E1 level' questions had me stressing.

melanie_o

HSC
My school uses it too! Atomi I think is good for basic level revision and repetitive practice mostly. The videos aren't too bad for a basic foundation and its good that they have a lot of topics on it but it can be quite simple at times
Atomi is the only way I learn in bio because my teacher gives presentations with a million words a slide! + They legit don't teach. The only problem I find is that the teachers on Atomi use a lot of colloquial/'slang' language which is good for understanding tricky processes/ideas but I would really like to see some synthesised definitions T^T.

lolcti

HSC
N/A
Atomi is the only way I learn in bio because my teacher gives presentations with a million words a slide! + They legit don't teach. The only problem I find is that the teachers on Atomi use a lot of colloquial/'slang' language which is good for understanding tricky processes/ideas but I would really like to see some synthesised definitions T^T.
Atomi is shit for bio , don’t recommend - but if your teacher sucks, yeah that’s a you issue but like dw cause same

WeiWeiMan

HSC
Omg, guys, I did my 3u maths assessment and I got 30% :)/). It was perms and combs + binomial. It was entirely my fault, I HATED the topic. All of the marks I got were for binomial (since algebra>>>). I felt stupid during Perms + Combs.

Though, I've looked at the other topics in prelim and I find them interesting (I'm weak at the knees for graphing and trig). Should I drop 3u and focus on 2u (AT1 - 88% -> all wrong marks were careless errors 😭 )? I've looked at 4u for y12 and the complex number topics look interesting. If I work hard on perms + combs can I have a 3u comeback in 12? Also, does anyone have any advice for perms + combs because I legitimately feel stupid, even the supposedly 'E1 level' questions had me stressing.
perms and combs is very difficult

aqwerty13402

HSC
If you are teaching urself the content because of a shit teacher, biggest tip for bio is don't route learn. By this I mean don't focus on memorising certain concepts, rather make sure that you understand them and can explain them. Atomi might actually be good for that, if it's your main way of studying. Watch an atomi video / any other resource, then write it out, trying to synthesise the information. THen go and teach it to your parent/pet/friend/wall. I barely use notes for a lot of subjects and I score well (usually) :angel:

iloveeggs

HSC

hey first of all, please don't feel discouraged because perms and combs are difficult for most people in fact its the most aids topic in 3u imo. if your school is starting off y11 with perms and combs you probably also go to a relatively highly ranked school and the content you covered is probably hard. some selective schools often do this so that they can be efficient and not have overlap with the 2u and 3u functions topic, or to prime kids to do 4u by pushing them hard. an older cousin told me her school did it so it could prompt a kids that didn't do well to drop out of 3u to ensure that those who did okay ish will get the school better results, not sure how true that is but anyways you shouldn't take the bait. for reference a lot of schools started off with functions and trig for 3u or some shit like that, which is considerably easier (depends on the person but yk). most schools do combs for the prelim yearly exam.

also y11 doesn't count towards hsc, just early entry if you want it ig, so i would advice you to take it out of your head that this mark might affect how you'll do in your hsc. if anything this is your sign to have your academic comeback for y12 lol

im currently accelerating and in my hsc year for 2u, so i think i'm inclined to say that you should keep 3u. it seems like you actually like math, and in my opinion 2u is not too hard, especially considering that the hardest it gets in hsc 2u is far from what combs are like (for me at least). combs are one of the hardest concepts covered in the prelim 3u course, so i think you should hang on and see how you go for this coming term and make your decision based off that. if you still find it really hard after that i would suggest you drop it.

perms and combs really requires a conceptual understanding of what is happening and lots of practice with a wide variety of problems. i mean HEAPS of practice. i think you should work with your teacher and see if they are willing to help you better understand things or if they can provide you resources like practice questions and things like that. tutoring helped me, but it's crazy expensive and I think it important you have someone to fully explain things to you so you understand, but that's totally up to you. also if you're unaware there is this site called thsc (https://thsconline.github.io/s/) which gives you access to years of past papers for math from a range of schools, so going through those might help too.

just to end it off id like to remind you that most people hate combs and a lot more ppl that you think go into 12 still flopping combs so don't be sad you're not doing great in term 1 of y11. you still have an opportunity to grow from this task and do better if you choose to put in the work. good luck!

iloveeggs

HSC
btw have you asked if you could retake the test? idk if it's allowed in senior years but in yr 10 i knew someone that flopped a test really badly and the teacher allowed them to retake it (it was a different test to the og im pretty sure). i think it's worth a conversation with your teacher if you can or at least see if they could help in some way

melanie_o

HSC
hey first of all, please don't feel discouraged because perms and combs are difficult for most people in fact its the most aids topic in 3u imo. if your school is starting off y11 with perms and combs you probably also go to a relatively highly ranked school and the content you covered is probably hard. some selective schools often do this so that they can be efficient and not have overlap with the 2u and 3u functions topic, or to prime kids to do 4u by pushing them hard. an older cousin told me her school did it so it could prompt a kids that didn't do well to drop out of 3u to ensure that those who did okay ish will get the school better results, not sure how true that is but anyways you shouldn't take the bait. for reference a lot of schools started off with functions and trig for 3u or some shit like that, which is considerably easier (depends on the person but yk). most schools do combs for the prelim yearly exam.

also y11 doesn't count towards hsc, just early entry if you want it ig, so i would advice you to take it out of your head that this mark might affect how you'll do in your hsc. if anything this is your sign to have your academic comeback for y12 lol

im currently accelerating and in my hsc year for 2u, so i think i'm inclined to say that you should keep 3u. it seems like you actually like math, and in my opinion 2u is not too hard, especially considering that the hardest it gets in hsc 2u is far from what combs are like (for me at least). combs are one of the hardest concepts covered in the prelim 3u course, so i think you should hang on and see how you go for this coming term and make your decision based off that. if you still find it really hard after that i would suggest you drop it.

perms and combs really requires a conceptual understanding of what is happening and lots of practice with a wide variety of problems. i mean HEAPS of practice. i think you should work with your teacher and see if they are willing to help you better understand things or if they can provide you resources like practice questions and things like that. tutoring helped me, but it's crazy expensive and I think it important you have someone to fully explain things to you so you understand, but that's totally up to you. also if you're unaware there is this site called thsc (https://thsconline.github.io/s/) which gives you access to years of past papers for math from a range of schools, so going through those might help too.

just to end it off id like to remind you that most people hate combs and a lot more ppl that you think go into 12 still flopping combs so don't be sad you're not doing great in term 1 of y11. you still have an opportunity to grow from this task and do better if you choose to put in the work. good luck!
Thank you for the advice.

melanie_o

HSC
btw have you asked if you could retake the test? idk if it's allowed in senior years but in yr 10 i knew someone that flopped a test really badly and the teacher allowed them to retake it (it was a different test to the og im pretty sure). i think it's worth a conversation with your teacher if you can or at least see if they could help in some way
My school is letting me do another assessment that is assessed through classwork.

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC

This person is 🧢ing hard. 2u hsc is harder than 3u in my experience doing both this yr!!! Finance, Prob, stats ☠🔫 no thanks. So if ur doing well in 2u rn means u should be capable of doing 3u pre well. perms and combs r hard and its more adapting to how questions are answered using its context. The theory is really stock standard but a significant portion goes down to your reasoning (note when doing p andcs, always write your reasoning as this will secure a mark)

iloveeggs

HSC
This person is 🧢ing hard. 2u hsc is harder than 3u in my experience doing both this yr!!! Finance, Prob, stats ☠🔫 no thanks. So if ur doing well in 2u rn means u should be capable of doing 3u pre well. perms and combs r hard and its more adapting to how questions are answered using its context. The theory is really stock standard but a significant portion goes down to your reasoning (note when doing p andcs, always write your reasoning as this will secure a mark)
hi i was comparing 2u hsc topics with 3u prelim combs just to give them an idea, not 2u and 3u hsc. in hindsight it wasn't the best thing to say because everyone finds different things hard but i did say "imo" and "(for me at least)" and was generally speaking about what works for me when giving advice. im just trying to be helpful lol. feel free to correct me if im totally wrong tho i havent done 3u hsc and it will help the op and me since you're doing 2u and 3u hsc and would probably know better

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
hi i was comparing 2u hsc topics with 3u prelim combs just to give them an idea, not 2u and 3u hsc. in hindsight it wasn't the best thing to say because everyone finds different things hard but i did say "imo" and "(for me at least)" and was generally speaking about what works for me when giving advice. im just trying to be helpful lol. feel free to correct me if im totally wrong tho i havent done 3u hsc and it will help the op and me since you're doing 2u and 3u hsc and would probably know better
Nah dude don't take what I said seriously lmfao ☠ im a common troll/cool kid on this forum

melanie_o

HSC
Wait! Does anyone understand the rankings for HSC? Specifically, for students that take 4U maths, are they given a final rank for hsc aligned/moderated marks for 2U or do they not (since 2U doesn't count for them)?

carrotsss

HSC
Wait! Does anyone understand the rankings for HSC? Specifically, for students that take 4U maths, are they given a final rank for hsc aligned/moderated marks for 2U or do they not (since 2U doesn't count for them)?
your school might give you a rank in reports etc if you do the assessments, but no rank is submittted to nesa

melanie_o

HSC
your school might give you a rank in reports etc if you do the assessments, but no rank is submittted to nesa
So If 4U kids rank 1st in 2U, but the highest rank of someone taking 2U only was for example '4th', would they end up technically being rank 1 for NESA? Sorry, I'm a bit stupid/slow :(.

carrotsss

HSC
So If 4U kids rank 1st in 2U, but the highest rank of someone taking 2U only was for example '4th', would they end up technically being rank 1 for NESA? Sorry, I'm a bit stupid/slow :(.
4u kids aren’t included in the 2u ranks submitted to nesa. the 1st rank submitted to nesa (and likewise all other ranks submitted to nesa) will always go to someone who isn’t doing 4u

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)