• Yes!

Votes: 51 11.9%
  • No!

Votes: 378 88.1%

• Total voters

olay

HSC
a_person86 said:
Please people, im hearing alot about this dignity and self-respect, your cheating yourself... I just like to be the first to say its a load of bullshit! The most legitimate reason i would ever buy is the fear of getting caught.

Im not saying whether or not i cheat in exams, but i do help friends out by revealing my multiple-choice answers and shit! In the end if the school does better it makes my moderated assessment mark higher.

Another thing, if you had the chance to cheat, you would take it hands down! Think about it, stuck on a question, dont have a clue, then outa nowhere you can cheat and get away with it, like seeing some1 elses answers for Multiple choice... fuck oath you would take it!

I know theres heaps of people that think like me, but are not saying anything due people saying its cheating yourself, so i represent all those people that have cheated or would cheat as a whole, and call forward anyone who thinks alike!

Thats my two cents
neh, i disagree. i think the sheer guilt / immorality of it all is enough to not cheat. it's just plain UNFAIR for some people to bust off their arses to do well and others to put no effort in and reap the marks via cheating. if i were given the chance to cheat on a q'n i didn't know the answer to i wouldn't take it for this reason. it's not dignity and self respect. it's respect for other people who WORK HARD to get where they want to get.

and by that same regard if it was an exam that mattered [like the hsc] i wouldn't share my answers. i already don't think the hsc fully equates to the amount of effort people put in, and that would just exacerbate the chasm. that was really wordy, but i cbb rewording.

tennille

HSC
I agree with you, olay. I would feel so guilty and i' probably lose self- respect. You may feel that the fear of getting caught is your reason for not cheating, but I personally don't want to do it because it is wrong. Not everyone wants to cheat.

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
it would be a pretty hard feeling of quilt to get ride of. and when the marks come back and everyone that knows you takes a second questioning look...

did everyone here have to sign a piece of paper with you name on it before the HSC?? we did, they said it was so no-one else could come in and do exams for us!! our lil country high was like "what are you talking about??" especially cause everyone knows each other (even the supervisors)!!

tennille

HSC
Is it that blue paper? I love your signature disco_dave. I hated the maths exam. I cried as soon as I walked out, then I chuked all my stuff on the ground, and then walked off...my friends were just watching me...

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Hmm...

I also go to a selective school (HGHS), and honestly, I don't know anyone who cheats, definately not in the HSC, definately not in any of our normal exams either. By Yr 12, you're just over it. Everyone has such great integrity- we genuinely want to do well, our teachers genuinely want us to do well (and subsequently do a lot of things for us that they wouldn't need to), what's the use of cheating?

Plus, as someone's already said, cheating takes way too much time and effort. To do really well you need to know your stuff! Sheesh, writing stuff down takes so much time - who really has the time to nick off to the loo or library?
exactly. same here dude - i go to a selective school (MHS) and, yeah, there are people who cheat on tests occasionally...but what school doesn't have someone who at one point during their higher education career hasn't cheated? its a very small minority. personally, ive never cheated, and i wouldn't. what's the point? is the only way i can get into some uni course is to cheat then whats the point - id obviously not be suited for it and would just have to keep cheating to keep myself there.

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
thats really me after the paper... sounds like we did the same thing!! hehe ;)

dont think it was blue. white A4 sheet with all our information on it and a big photo smack in the middle. hope it wasnt just our school. we couldnt get away with it anyway

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
do you mean the blue thing you have to sign before you start every exam...or the identification sheet (the one with visual id signed by principle or justice of the peace)?

olay: i like your reasoning - i think it sums up what everyone else has been trying to say. yeah, you'd feel guilty personally, but everyone knows you'd get over it (and probably quicker than you should!) its more the guilt that you are doing this to someone who's worked their arse off and deserves to get a mark that reflects their work and effort compared to everyone elses. to study or not is a personal decision, as is how much effort you put into the exam itself and these have strictly personal consequences - but to cheat isn't like this because it has negative repercussions on another person.

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
we have windows in our toliets. so u put the notes outside the windows. go to the toilet climb out window and get notes get answers and then run back .. takes too much time though ( i have never done it just ppl i know)
in our hsc assesment tasks people aske to go to the toliets half way through and allowed to leave normal classroom and go .. they could hide notes anywhere .. and go get them .. they could put them in their lockers and never get caught

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
silvermoon said:
do you mean the blue thing you have to sign before you start every exam...or the identification sheet (the one with visual id signed by principle or justice of the peace)?
the identification sheet that our prince signs aswell! we thought the reason we had to sign that was crazy... they said people had been paying others to go into their exams and do it for them.

wouldnt even have thought about that as a method of cheating!!

omg_a

HSC
ur_inner_child -i get asked for my msn account too! so strange.

and i wouldnt cheat...for the reasons everyone else said. all the effort you put into it, organising etc, you may as well just learn the stuff.

Last edited:

Afa

i know a person that put lil quotes that they shortened down to a couple key words inbetween there fingers
they managed to get away wid it
i fink it was in the english paper first test

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
OK I have been reading all the posts where people are saying that cheating is wrong and their moral objections prevent them from doing it. I admire these people. However let me tell you my perspective; the reason I am doing the HSC is to get into university, which will help me get my ideal job in the future. If I was presented with the oportunity to cheat in an HSC exam, without being caught, why wouldn't I take it. This is a capitalist society; survival of the fittest. Sure if I cheat, it's wrong. But I would prefer to be wrong and get into the uni course of my choice rather than be right but miss out by 00.05 UAI points. Who is going to employ you because you didn't cheat in the HSC?

I want to clarify what I'm saying though, i'm not talking about taking in notes or sneaking off to the toilets to read notes; im talking about a situation described by someone before; what if someone's multiple choice sheet is sitting there in plain view, and you know they have a better chance of having answered correctly. Why not cheat?

xeriphic

hmm never cheated, though did think about it XD< when you study half way and can't take this anymore that's when the urges comes, then again it all relaxes afterwards lol

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
i think cactus's point is very valid and quite honest. i probably wont achieve a UAI to get into my uni course but if i could get into my prefered course im sure i will do well. I spent a lot of time during the last two years doing things (still valuable) other than school work. i still did a lot of study but havent reached my potential...

dunno, its a weird situation. if you can improve you UAI just like that, why not??

theone123

blue essence
HSC
pussy_cat said:
I think its wrong to cheat, your only cheating yourself and how bad would you feel afterwards. Anyway, its not fair to those who studied their asses off for 2 years if someone just walks in with no idea and runs to the toilet for answers. I mean i slacked off a lot but im not gunna risk my dignity or anything to get extra marks in some stupid test. Just try ur hardest and if thats what your best is, be happy for yourself to know that you gave it a go.
well personally who cares whatever what other ppl do, its their sole decision to do so, if they get caught, good luck to them :p

theone123

blue essence
HSC
disco_dave said:
i think cactus's point is very valid and quite honest. i probably wont achieve a UAI to get into my uni course but if i could get into my prefered course im sure i will do well. I spent a lot of time during the last two years doing things (still valuable) other than school work. i still did a lot of study but havent reached my potential...

dunno, its a weird situation. if you can improve you UAI just like that, why not??
cactus's view is a con for not cheating :p

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
It all comes down to the reason you're doing the exam. I'm not trying to do well in order to get into uni - there are so many ways to get in these days that your UAI isn't the be all and end all. I want to do really well simply because I've worked hard for the last 2 years and I have expectations of myself. So for me, cheating would be pointless because it wouldn't give me the satisfaction of doing well, because I'd know that I didn't truly achieve it. All I want is to be able to feel that after 2 years of this, it paid off and I can be happy with my mark. I wouldn't be if it wasn't really my mark.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I would personally do anything to somehow be able to increase my bio marks. If a paper was available to buy on the black HSC market (no not african american hsc market) then I would honestly consider paying through the roof for it.
I was forced into bio as it was the only subject I could continue after I dropped maths (same line). I just cant fathom maths/sciences and my brain doesnt absorb the info, as opposed to say, english.
Sure, the morally correct thing to say is: "I'm going to study 12 hours a day for a month to make sure I can compete with people for whom this subject is easy." but no - this is not how society works. I don't know what I'd do if I don't get my UAI.

Mushy18

HSC
um....our grade usually gets into the exam room pretty quickly, so we spend about 10mins waiting for the reading time to begin. while i was waiting the other day, i noticed that the white cover of the question booklet was transparent enough to read the questions inside it. lol, this is a dumb question, but is that still considered cheating?

a_person86

HSC
Its a dog eat dog world!

People continue to say that they wouldnt copy someone elses multiple choice, put anyone in my school beside me for General Maths and they would. Before the exam started people sitting beside me asked! These people saying that they wouldnt do it arent lieing to us, their lieing to themselves!

Personally, i think people that go read notes in the toilets are fukd, its waste of time ffs, i could write a page extra by the time they got back... no no no if people are to cheat they do it smarter than that!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)