Votes: 51 11.9%
  • No!

Votes: 378 88.1%

• Total voters

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
rama_v said:
The reason society may seem unfair is because of peopel like you, who do not respect the hard work that others do.
Yeah but it's not going to change any time soon, and if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

rama_v said:
If the hsc doesnt mean anything, why do it in the first place?
It does mean something; entry to Uni.

rama_v said:
Also I refuse to accept that you dont feel guilty from cheating. After some time, maybe a few days or a few years form now, everyone that cheats will realise that it gets you nowhere, you will regret it. It wil come one day.
No. Only if cheating becomes a habbit, or something you rely on to get places. A case of cheating once is not going to change the course of your life for the worse.

Let me clarify my position however, refer to my post on one of the 1st pages of this thread, where I was the 1st person to come out and 'support' cheating if you will. I don't condone taking in cheat notes, taking advantages of special provisions to take in a floppy disc etc. I'm talking about 'opportunity cheating'. Say someone's multiple choice sheet falls on the floor and you read their answers, knowing that they are more capable than you. I see this as taking advantage of a situation which will get you ahead in life. You'd be a chump not to

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
you would be a chump to do cheat not the other way around. i understand that if you cheat it is not about cheating yourself it is about getting into a course but dont you feel cheap. you have to be bullshitting all of us and are just being a dickhead on this thread for fun or you are just an arsehole

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
I will repost my original one for all to see.

Cactus said:
OK I have been reading all the posts where people are saying that cheating is wrong and their moral objections prevent them from doing it. I admire these people. However let me tell you my perspective; the reason I am doing the HSC is to get into university, which will help me get my ideal job in the future. If I was presented with the oportunity to cheat in an HSC exam, without being caught, why wouldn't I take it. This is a capitalist society; survival of the fittest. Sure if I cheat, it's wrong. But I would prefer to be wrong and get into the uni course of my choice rather than be right but miss out by 00.05 UAI points. Who is going to employ you because you didn't cheat in the HSC?

I want to clarify what I'm saying though, i'm not talking about taking in notes or sneaking off to the toilets to read notes; im talking about a situation described by someone before; what if someone's multiple choice sheet is sitting there in plain view, and you know they have a better chance of having answered correctly. Why not cheat?

If you think im an a-hole cos I take advantage of a situation like that, I dont give a shit. People who follow the rules loose, it's the ppl who bend the rules that get ahead.........

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Cactus said:
I will repost my original one for all to see.

If you think im an a-hole cos I take advantage of a situation like that, I dont give a shit. People who follow the rules loose, it's the ppl who bend the rules that get ahead.........
i understand your motives and all but dont you feel at all bad or that you are interfering with other peoples ranks and marks who have been honest? its all very good and well to get yourself into uni but what if it moves somone else back in the ranking by 00.05 and stuffs their chances of getting into uni? people wh bend the rules have poor character and dont get as far when it counts in the future. something far beyond the hsc

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
lukebennett said:
i understand your motives and all but dont you feel at all bad or that you are interfering with other peoples ranks and marks who have been honest? its all very good and well to get yourself into uni but what if it moves somone else back in the ranking by 00.05 and stuffs their chances of getting into uni? people wh bend the rules have poor character and dont get as far when it counts in the future. something far beyond the hsc

Yeh maybe I feel bad for the dude who misses his course by 00.05. Survival of the fittest.......I end up in uni and he doesnt. Who loses? Him. not me. I know it's selfish and I generally don't live my life by this philosophy. but in this case i do

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
yeh he loses not you. someone who goes by the rules and is making for a fair test shouldnt lose out becuase you cant study enough to do well on your own. what will you do in uni. it wont be survival of the fittest if you are caught doing that at uni. i cant see a cheater getting in anywhere after being caught cheating. oh well you keep cheating then if it makes you feel good

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
I said making a habbit of cheating is bad. My point is not, "take in notes, hide them in the toilets, write em on your legs, anything to get ahead."

my point is; in the HSC given the opportunity to cheat, eg. the multiple choice situation, i would do it........

I'm not saying its right. And if someone thinks they can cheat their way through life, you're right they are in for a rude shock. But if you get 1 opportunity to do it, why not? Doesnt make me 'feel good'......nobody has even mentioned the possibility that if you read someone else's multi choice that they might have got them wrong too..........

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
ok i get your point, but i just dont like how you defend it though. i guess if you didnt mean to see the mc sheet and they were right and you couldnt help seeing it you might automatically check to see if you had that.

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
lukebennett said:
ok i get your point, but i just dont like how you defend it though. i guess if you didnt mean to see the mc sheet and they were right and you couldnt help seeing it you might automatically check to see if you had that.

So now you are saying that the line between cheating and 'accidentally seeing' is blurred. I don't have to argue my POV, the fact is that if I cheated in the HSC, nothing can be done about it now, but if i did cheat i woudlnt be feeling guilty

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
it is blurred in that case. cheating is not accidental, but seeing the answer someone else had and then checking yours as you do when you check your paper can make you change your answer. this isnt really cheating though. going and looking is cheating as there is the intention to change your answer of find the answer.

fair enough and each to his own

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
you could also make a conscious effort not to look at your multi-choice if you knew that accidentally seeing the other person's would cause you to change your answer

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
true but its hard to say whether you would have noticed you had the wrong answer when you go over it. now we are getting to complicated. this has never happened to me btw. i dont really trust what anyone else has on their answers no matter how smart they are.

mikey11

HSC
Cheating is wrong!!!! but i got the best way 2 do it 4 exams such as english, what u do is write notes on hsc type paper and halfway through the exam wip it our from ur blazer and pretend that thats hat uve already written then copy the notes into an essay form or whatever

alien

HSC
i would never cheat. sure, cheating may get you your uai, but if you can't get it without cheating then you probably don't deserve it. and you would get a good uai, but it would be at the cost of your own integrity. it depends if you're willing to pay that price. i guess it's all a personal choice.

GirlGoneMad

Kitten Kong
HSC
I know at least two people with special provisions who cheat in their toilet breaks! They keep the notes in their pocket or up their sleeves. They don't even really need special provisions. Anyone can apply for it making up why they need it and they get extra time. Eg. If I was the sneaky cheating type I could get a docs cert. to say I have chronic sinus problems and therefore chronic headaches which affect concentration etc. when I don't really have such a big prob. Many of the special provisions ppl exaggerate and lie when applying. One of the two I know applied because of being really stressed in an exam situation. (when everyone else was anyway!) The other girl applied with the reason of having an illness, but she doesn't have it anymore. It makes me sick how ppl freely abuse the system spoiling it for those who really do need special provisions and those who try really hard WITHOUT cheating.

kirst101

HSC
N/A
i've never cheated in an exam. its not worth risking it all for a few extra marks

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
mossup said:
if you do it right and get away with it, those few extra marks could mean you get into that course you always wanted to!!!
And possibly knock someone else out their spot.

Which goes to, how would you feel if you honestly earned the spot in the course but didn't get in because someone cheated?

mishka

HSC
N/A
^^ totally agree!!

if i ever cheated, i would always be thinking of the opportunity of the poor soul i've just ripped away from them... :uhhuh:

but i guess i shouldn't be so naive as to think everyone out there is honest and hardworking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)