CASIO fx-8200 AU - new calculator coming next year. (1 Viewer)

nsw..wollongong

HSC
YES and it can do exact values and stuff it’s so good
is this the only advantage it has tho? bc cant u figure out exact value in just a couple of steps manually anyways (i don't think u would save that much time in an exam)

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
could this calculator (given it has 'standard' mode) give exact values of trig values such as cos(72)? If so, wouldn't that possibly contribute to a huge syllabus (primarily in the trig qn areas) change in the future?
I coudn't get it to do cos(72o) in standard form. I tried out a few of the other CASIO emulators as well listed above and they coudn't do it either

I tried doing it on the Texas Instruments emulators for TI-30XB MultiView and TI-30X Plus MathPrint and they couldn't do it either.

I think they just do basic ones like cos(30o) but not cos(72o)

However CASIO have an iphone app for ClassPad which I also have on my phone - and that did it easily:

classpad-cos72.png

So clearly CASIO can do it - but they seem to chose not to in the fx8200 AU.

And why don't they make an iphone app for the fx8200 AU?

The classpad app actually looks a lot better than the web-based emulator for fx8200 AU.

Or at least offer full-screen mode which I don't think the emulator does.

EDIT: Since this posting I found app that does this see this for more details: https://community.boredofstudies.or...r-coming-next-year.401322/page-5#post-7473283

Last edited:

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
I made it do this though by turning on the Verify mode:

fx8200au-cos72.png

It's not as good as the classpad version though.

Even the old calculators could do this - for example:
fx82auplussii-cos72.png

Last edited:

howcanibesmarter

HSC
when is this releasing? i cant wait to save 10 seconds getting surds simplfications
but like surely whats the point of learning surds in like yr9 then? cant the kids just abuse using this? or unless they make it variables instead

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
So I did an experiment, this time in radian mode to see what would happen with the classpad and then with the fx8200 AU for cos(π/x) for x=4,5,6 and this is what I got:

classpad-cosines.png

fx8200au-cosines.png

So you can see the difference for cos(π/5)

Attachments

Last edited:

carrotsss

HSC
when am I gonna need cos(72) lol, the only time they’d ask for an exact value for it is if im proving it is equal to something. it does all the ones you use often and that’s all I care about

and it saves time dividing by pi since it just shows things in terms of pi

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
I think that although the classpad is better at exact values than the fx8200 AU as we have seen - it turns out that it's not much better.

It can do cos(π/8), cos(π/10), cos(π/12) but not cos(π/15):

So even classpad has it's limitations.

classpad-hardercosines.png

Mathematica did cos(π/15) like this:

mathematica-cospidiv15.png
fx8200 AU can't do most of these - but it did do cos(π/12):

fx8200AU-cospidiv12.png

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
How to get the emulator

There are 3 ways to get the emulator.

Method 1 with a real calculator

If you already have the real calculator you can press the [HOME] [SETTINGS] buttons on the calculator to get the Calculator ID. This entitles you to get a free license which lasts 7 years. This would be the way to go if you already have a real calculator.

Then go to http://wes.casio.com/calc/cw/ to enter the Calculator ID under ClassWiz Emulator License to get the license.

Alternatively use the QR code to take you straight there.

Either way, you press ISSUE LICENSE button to generate the license code

Then you go to https://classpad.net/intl/ and login to enter the license. You can make a free registration if you don’t have that yet.

You see Your license tab in https://classpad.net/note/#/mypage/license gives 2 options:

- If you have a license code, click here (this is the one to use for the free license)

- Purchase a license

Method 2 without a real calculator

If you do not already have a real calculator you can still get licenses on a 1-year or 3-year subscription basis.

In https://classpad.net/note/#/mypage/license options, choose the second one

- If you have a license code, click here

- Purchase a license (this is the one to use if you don’t have a real calculator, hence no Calculator ID)

Then choose ClassWiz 1-year or 3-year subscription.

But over a 7 year period it’s going to be cheaper just to buy a real calculator and use Method 1.

Method 3 through CASIO Prime Schools Plus (only for school administrators)

Go to https://casioeducation.com.au/prime-school-plus-registration/ to register your school and they will issue free licenses to use at the school. Note that they will want some evidence that your school purchases CASIO calculators, such as a Purchase Invoice.

How to access the emulator

After entering the license in https://classpad.net/note/#/mypage/license under Tools in https://classpad.net/note/#/mypage/ex-tool you see ClassPad Math icon

classpadmathicon.png

Click that and you get a blank screen. Click on blank screen and you see options buttons

buttons.png

These are Calculate, Graph, Geometry, Data, Sequence, Financial, ClassWiz Emulator, Number Line, Text

Click the ClassWiz Emulator button.

classwizemulator.png

This will give you the Model selection menu.

model-selection.png

Choose fx-8200 AU and the emulator will show up.

emulator.png

It's a fairly lengthy process the first time you set it up, but after that accessing it is pretty quick once you login to ClassPad.net.

Last edited:

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
Does the first method give you access to different calculator models or just the model you own?
It gives access to all these:

Supported models:

fx-82CW / 85CW / 350CW / 570CW / 991CW
fx-82EX / 85EX / 350EX / 570EX / 991EX
fx-8200 AU
fx-82AR X / 95AR X / 570AR X / 991AR X
fx-880BTG / 580VN X
fx-82CE X / 85CE X / 350CE X / 991CE X
fx-82DE CW / 85DE CW / 87DE CW / 991DE CW
fx-82DE X / 85DE X / 87DE X / 991DE X
fx-83GT CW / 85GT CW
fx-83GT X / 85GT X
fx-82LA CW / 570LA CW / 991LA CW
fx-82LA X / 350LA X / 570LA X / 991LA X
fx-82NL
fx-991RS X
fx-92 Collège / fx-92B Secondaire
fx-92+ Spéciale Collège / fx-92B Spéciale Collège
fx-97SG X
fx-82SP CW / 85SP CW / 570SP CW / 991SP CW
fx-82SP X,XII / 85SP XII / 350SP X,XII / 570SP X,XII / 991SP X,XII
fx-JP500 / JP700 / JP900 / 530AZ

gamja

HSC
thanks for the emulator tips!

But essentially, I don't think it's even worthwhile to buy the 8200 - it'll just feel uncomfortable as hell to get used to before trials and HSC, and I feel like exact values will only come in handy when verifying answers when re-checking my paper after I've finished everything (which I can do completely fine on my 100-AU or 82-AU).

I might recomm the calculator to my younger siblings - but it would be inefficient to use at high school at best since everyone else will still be using the 82-AUs and 100-AUs basically forever until Casio phases out those lineups.

carrotsss

HSC
thanks for the emulator tips!

But essentially, I don't think it's even worthwhile to buy the 8200 - it'll just feel uncomfortable as hell to get used to before trials and HSC, and I feel like exact values will only come in handy when verifying answers when re-checking my paper after I've finished everything (which I can do completely fine on my 100-AU or 82-AU).

I might recomm the calculator to my younger siblings - but it would be inefficient to use at high school at best since everyone else will still be using the 82-AUs and 100-AUs basically forever until Casio phases out those lineups.
Tbh after only one school day I’m starting to get used to it, it’s not as hard as you’d think because the 8200 has a very intuitive design

Vall

HSC
does it represent exact values with pi too? (Like if you type 4pi + 3pi will it say 7pi or just a bunch of decimals)
asking because I have seen the chinese version of the fx-100 does that (and also has the surd exact values) but obviously the chinese fx-100 is not NESA approved

dav53521

HSC
does it represent exact values with pi too? (Like if you type 4pi + 3pi will it say 7pi or just a bunch of decimals)
asking because I have seen the chinese version of the fx-100 does that (and also has the surd exact values) but obviously the chinese fx-100 is not NESA approved
It does represent exact values of pi.

Attachments

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
my 100-AU
Is that the second edition? I have one too.

I would keep that because it can do something the 8200 AU can’t - measurement conversions.

Also, did you know in the 100 AU second edition there is a secret key combination that reveals the Calculator ID. The same is true for the 82 AU plus ii second edition.

When you press the MODE button it gives options 1,2 etc.

No mention is made of MODE 0.

However pressing MODE 0 reveals the Calculator ID and an associated QR code.

The QR code takes you to an authenticity check website.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)