Cars!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Nothing beats cruising along at 50km/h in your little euro-style hatch.

SipSip

HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
yeah thats so hardcore and sensible...
Sensibility and thought never actually comes to mind when doing crap like that....or else you'll never do it....it's only afterwards you think that you could've died....

But I'm glad to admit that i have changed my ways.

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Got my first car today :D.
Well not quite, parents still got to organise financial detail - will probably have it later in the week - Thurs, Fri - just before I go for my P's on 30th.
It's an 89, Mitsubishi Magna, Sedan. Looks pretty good, 12 month warranty.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
bluesky100 said:
Got my first car today :D.
Well not quite, parents still got to organise financial detail - will probably have it later in the week - Thurs, Fri - just before I go for my P's on 30th.
It's an 89, Mitsubishi Magna, Sedan. Looks pretty good, 12 month warranty.
nice car for a first car
12months warranty? got it from a dealer?

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
redslert said:
nice car for a first car
12months warranty? got it from a dealer?
Thanks! Yes, got it from a dealer - parents refused to go private sale. Took the car for a test drive (my Dad) said it drove well, and 'tight'.
12 month warrant is just for like if general things, brake failure etc . . .

reno2004

Retired Member - 1/12/04
HSC
N/A
Im thinking of getting either a Mazda 3 or a Honda Prelude 5th gen. For all you car buffs out there or anyone else, which do you reckon is better? like quality and reliability wise.
thx in advance

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
there's a big difference there!! mazda3 new car, prelude not so new....price wise there is a huge gap?? unless you are going for the cheaper mazda3

American influence japanese car is what the Prelude is.
to sum it up, i hate american cars....so i also hate the prelude
the sale of prelude in japan is very low, and they love their sports cars...but in america you will find tons of them...because they are rice toys...looks good but no go

not that the prelude is a crap car, it is a good car, reliable because it's a honda and has average power for that size of car

i would be picking the mazda3, the SP23 to be exact. the package in the Sp23 is amazing for its price and it is a great little car
there's no doubt about it, just look at the sales of the mazda3
well quality, reliability of mazda in the past has been in a single word CRAP, but during the past year since ford took over majority of mazda, the standard has gone up, the SP23 is basically a ford focus and volvo (some number which i don't know?)
so the mazda3 will be very reliable and quality of mazda has always been good

i personally think and feel that honda in the past has gone down hill dramatically, build quality of their cars is CHEAP, the civic/jazz feels like cheap plastic, new accord is similar but better because of its features....so overall i think mazda is better

reno2004

Retired Member - 1/12/04
HSC
N/A
Ill probably get around $20k, so the SP23 is out of my range. Reason why im going for a prelude is because I like how it looks. But i just realised that insurance for the prelude will be way higher than insurance for the mazda 3, so the 3 is looking good at the moment.

SipSip

HSC
N/A
Mazda 3's are nice, ever tried looking at second hand sp23's?? or demos, because you can normally get a bit off there, and then you need to haggle!! remember to haggle!! no matter how rich or poor you are, why pay more for something when you can get it at a cheaper price by just haggling a bit!! HAGGLE!! ^^

Anyway, i've never tried the sp23...knows a friends who's got it but never bothered asking....i did have a choice of an Audi S3 though....fuck it was damn fast...i didn't know manual but i managed on it since that i was looking for a car after i crashed my first one...and must admit S3's are nice...although it's a hatchback...and hatchbacks aren't as safe....

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
S3 can be compared to BMW M3
of cause M3 is bigger and better....but speed/performance wise S3 is up there with it

but i would never buy a audi, reliability on those things are terrible and the spare parts are one of the highest for german built cars...doubt he can aford S3 anyway

2nd hand SP23?? hmmm maybe, but rare since it is still so new

but going for the lower class Mazda3 is still good :)
remember to get ABS with it, IT IS A MUST, and its stupid how they made it optional extra!
ABS is a must have!

reno2004

Retired Member - 1/12/04
HSC
N/A
yeh i think the S3 is way above my range. Just wondering how you can compare a S3 and an M3. the M3 is so much bigger and more powerful. speed wise maybe cause the S3 is lighter i guess.
Wow, that sucks. how can a car not have ABS standard. dodgy mazda. Id say it would be pretty hard to get a second hand madza 3 of an kind, it hasnt even been around for 1 year.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
it's not really mazda's fault for not putting ABS standard...
blame the morons at mazda australia sitting around their nice offices and making it an option

it's standard in most countries....but we have to be special

SipSip

HSC
N/A
You can compare the S3 with the M3 because the performance are similar, although audi's S4 is suppose to do the job...but seriously, the S4 is a shit drive....S3 was nice...but Audi A4 range isn't what i call nice cars....plus the salesman was a prick...because i told him i was considering a Zed in an auto and he kept saying "remember you're asking for a sports car in an auto", i just glared back at him and said i know... But yeah, Audi's are expensive to maintain...like every other european cars...

If you shop around i'm pretty sure you could get a mazda 3 second hand, even if it's not a sp23....they are nice cars i admit, really eyecatching...but whether you want that or not is your preference...for me, i don't like flashy cars that much....

~ghost~

alot of people argues that 4wd uses lots of petrol and are unfriendly around the city, but people driving it are dickheads. but, you got to think about the big capacities V8 sedan or any other cars. many of these cars(5.7L V8) uses more fuel then a 4wd. then, should people argue that we have to ban V8's from city streets because they consume too much petrol as well??.

i argree that a 4wd isnt the best maneurable car, but i think its just the added security of the vehicle that people generally purchase the vehicle for. the added false sense of the greatness of a 4wd. all i have to say from personal experiences is that, they are a bitch to park(many people have the false sense that 4wd allows better vision), you can not possibly see anything behind that fat ass of it, and a child might be standing behind the vehicle.

ultimately, there are pro's and con's of a 4wd, and that it all comes down to the personal taste. some like big v8 sedans, some like turbo powered, some like 4wd. it all comes down to the personal taste. and for the arguement of 4wd being dangerous, afterall, it all comes down to the person behind the wheel of any car.

well, heres my 2c.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
where did this 4WD argument came from? must be from the start of the thread
anyways to correct you on a couple of things

V8s does not use a lot of fuel if you don't drive it like crazy. You cannot simply compare the size of an engine to how much fuel it uses, just doesn't work that way
remember 4WD are a lot heavier and so will require more fuel to get it going
many newer generation V8s are more economical than V6s

A 4WD does not add any safety to it's driver or occupants. In fact it is more dangerous no matter what and this does not depend on the driver, things happen without someone being at fault. For example i have heard of 2 different cases where the 4WDs (prado) have spun around did a couple of flips driving on a highway unexpectedly because the car got a blow out from one of the tyres. Now this maybe can be faulted on someone, but it was not something which the driver did to cause this......the 4WD rolled around a couple of times and luckily no one really got hurt...
If it was a sedan a blow out would rarely occur, blow out in a 4WD is because of it's extra weight and the tyres are larger...

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Asquithian said:
its really simple
1. 4WDs are not safer

2. They make you look like a wanker

3. They are not needed in the city or suburbs

4. Fuel consumption is higher than a car that carries a similar amount of people and provides similar weight power ratios

5. 4WD are not good value....often overpriced

6. cost of upkeep is high
I agree with all of the above, 4WDs in suburbs suck.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
wohhh, since when cant u base a cars fuel comsumption on their engine size/capacity? its simple, more cylinders = more holes to be filled with this stuff called fuel....n yes i know that the way u drive adds to the fuel consumption, but everything is in proportion, its like supply n demand, n sum V8's r more economical than V6's, no doubt, i agree, but the fact is that the V6's in questin are generally old (eg - comparing Gen3 against ecotec V6, the plani fact of age helps the former no end)

also, 4WD's, total waste of space, well there are proper uses, but how many do u c actually even attempting them? when brands like Lexus come into the 4WD fray, then u know its gone all soft, since when dus a 4wd come with leather seats, GPS, heated seats etc? its crazy...in my suburb there are so many, the term '4WD soccermum' gets overused totally jus coz theres so many of the damned pigassed vehicles, and sorry to say, they dont even show any acknowledgement of other vehicles, they're bllody crazy!

and fuel consumptions, 4WD's r pigs UNLESS they are diesel, in which case they are very economical

SipSip

HSC
N/A
Dad's friend owns a 911 and a Cayenne and a s600....i mean i don't see what's so bad about having a 4WD when you could afford to...no matter how much fuel they take...it just depends on whether you could afford to or not...

SipSip

HSC
N/A
The new liberty is awesome...i was actually going to buy the GT version until the fucken salesman explained to my mum that the car was loud becuase of the "turbo"... i awesome swore at him because he did that...

but now that they have a naturally aspirated engine...i might trade in for the 3.0R-B....pity they don't a grey as a colour...because i like grey...and might be a reason for me not to buy it...

But yeah, i reckon the liberty is actually really nice...they just need better salesmans....

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
braad said:
wohhh, since when cant u base a cars fuel comsumption on their engine size/capacity? its simple, more cylinders = more holes to be filled with this stuff called fuel....n yes i know that the way u drive adds to the fuel consumption, but everything is in proportion, its like supply n demand, n sum V8's r more economical than V6's, no doubt, i agree, but the fact is that the V6's in questin are generally old (eg - comparing Gen3 against ecotec V6, the plani fact of age helps the former no end)
no you cannot use economic theory to explain engineering
no capacity, displacement of engines does not display how much fuel they use.
there are a number of things which determines how much fuel is used to produce the same amount of power in different size engines, compression ratios and how much air is induced into the system are too major parts.
If you have a 2litre engine, and that 2L gets filled every time you accelerate, wouldn't you run out of fuel in a avg 60Litre tank in minutes?
only a small amount of petrol is fired into the engine...having a bigger engine only has limited changed to the amount of fuel used

braad said:
also, 4WD's, total waste of space, well there are proper uses, but how many do u c actually even attempting them? when brands like Lexus come into the 4WD fray, then u know its gone all soft, since when dus a 4wd come with leather seats, GPS, heated seats etc? its crazy...in my suburb there are so many, the term '4WD soccermum' gets overused totally jus coz theres so many of the damned pigassed vehicles, and sorry to say, they dont even show any acknowledgement of other vehicles, they're bllody crazy!

and fuel consumptions, 4WD's r pigs UNLESS they are diesel, in which case they are very economical
actually Lexus have been making 4WDs for yonks, reason for this is that Lexus is Toyota.
4WDs have been getting lether seats, GPS, heated seats etc for Yonks as well
landrover have been making luxury 4WDs/recreational vehicles for a long long time

with the other coments about soccermums.....well that's just sterotyping

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)