cars around 30k? sp23 or civic sport? (1 Viewer)

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
go the accord euro, awesome drive, great stereo, nice interior and has the power to match, i think its the vtec integra engine i think..

lengy

HSC
seremify007 said:
Looks better in person than on the web. It's more the 'allusion of space' using light/bright greys (instead of the trendy blacks) in a small sub-$25k car which is what makes it good.
Actually... from the Honda Australia website... it looks better online cause it can focus on it's good angles... overall it's not a pretty car...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
lengy said:
Actually... from the Honda Australia website... it looks better online cause it can focus on it's good angles... overall it's not a pretty car...
Subjective. But it definitely looks alot better in the flesh than in alot of photos I've seen.

I think the interior has the 'wow factor' when you sit in it because of the combination of the huge space, the very slanted A pillar, the windscreen extending over the bonnet/engine bay, the two-tier dash with matching blue LCD speedo/radio, simple button styling, etc... give it a very consistent and modern appearance- even in the base model.

Shimian

HSC
seremify007 said:
Subjective. But it definitely looks alot better in the flesh than in alot of photos I've seen.

I think the interior has the 'wow factor' when you sit in it because of the combination of the huge space, the very slanted A pillar, the windscreen extending over the bonnet/engine bay, the two-tier dash with matching blue LCD speedo/radio, simple button styling, etc... give it a very consistent and modern appearance- even in the base model.
I agree. When i saw the blue leather on the web, it looked like crap. In person, i almost fainted cos it blew me away, nothing like the web. :)

I would also like to add to the list, the nice and small steering wheel, gives a different driving feeling. I drove my dads car with the standard steering wheel recently and it feels like driving a truck.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
lengy said:
Not everyone wants to drive a tuner, especially when so many tryhards drive one.
Also the insurance is higher for a grey import and you can't always be sure of the reliability.
SP23s and Civic sports are both WAY more tryhard than a GT-R which is actually fucking fast.

icraig88 said:
go the accord euro, awesome drive, great stereo, nice interior and has the power to match, i think its the vtec integra engine i think..
Err, no it has a K24A, its completely different from the B series engines found in Integras. It does have V-Tec though.

Last edited:

CieL

HSC
seremify007 said:
Don't get VTi-L.. not worth it. Either go for the Sport, or get base VTi and upgrade the rims/parts yourself.
How is the VTi-L not worth it?

You get an extra set of airbags, 6 cd stacker, mp3 compat., full sized ALLOY (not steel) spare tyre, actually vti-Ls have a full set of alloys which are bigger and fatter, better folding seats, a security alarm, buttons on the steering wheel...... for $3k more lol

Heh actually, the Euro has i-VTEC..

Oh btw, am I just slow.... but it seems like they're not selling the intergra no more?

lengy

HSC
Riet said:
SP23s and Civic sports are both WAY more tryhard than a GT-R which is actually fucking fast.

Err, no it has a K24A, its completely different from the B series engines found in Integras. It does have V-Tec though.
Read what I wrote. Tryhards are more likely to drive GT-Rs. It's an awesome car though.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I knew what you meant, and I'm saying they're no worse than the people in Mazda 3s and Civics who act like they're driving GT-Rs.

Edit: VTec, i-Vtec, I couldn't be bothered checking to be specific, regardless its not an Integra engine.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
CieL said:
How is the VTi-L not worth it?

You get an extra set of airbags, 6 cd stacker, mp3 compat., full sized ALLOY (not steel) spare tyre, actually vti-Ls have a full set of alloys which are bigger and fatter, better folding seats, a security alarm, buttons on the steering wheel...... for $3k more lol
My friend bought automatic VTi for $26k, my Civic was $30k. So it's $4k. IMO, the features aren't worth the $4k... unless you wanted to get the sport which is much better value IMO.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
What I'm annoyed about is they aren't selling the "hot hatch" version of the Civic in Australia...I'm not sure of its specs but it'd go well against the 3 MPS I reckon

CieL

HSC
^ Yeah, but if you look at the Honda website, there is no Integra line anymore o_O

lengy

HSC
It's because it's too expensive to import. Honda Australia said if they bring it in they'll bring it in limited numbers. They WANT the Civic hatch and are campaigning to bring it here to Australia. I think it's more a matter of time than anything.

Shimian

HSC
I was told by the dealer the new Type R integra will be available. It will cost about $50k base

lengy

HSC
So they're finally bringing the Integra Type R? That's cool, it'll go so much harder than the Type S.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
The type R stopped being availible because it needs 100 RON petrol which is widely availible in Japan but only in a few places in Australia. The Type-S is not THAT much slower in a straight line (especially since the main difference is way past VTEC time so the midrange is still weak). The real difference is in the corners though. As Best Motoring said "The Type-S is the ultimate compromise while the Type-R is the ultimate Front wheel drive sports car."

Edit: And they got rid of the Integra (for now) because it couldn't meet Japan's new emissions requirements.

wyho

HSC
N/A
i heard theres a civic type R , hope this one gets imported to aussie...

Jiga

My opinion on this thread, Im not a fan of the Civics, the Mazdas look better...and looking at a survey of the most reliable cars, Mazda > Honda in terms of reliability as well. Performance wise, they are both slow, so who cares.

Lol for $50k in regarsd to the Integra, there are alot of better cars going around.... both in terms of handling and power. Never been a fan of them.

What I dont understand in Aus at least, is why are all these manufacterers going away from these relatively fuel efficient cars and investing in gas guzzling V6s and V8s (Ford is kinda an exception, they have variety.... XR5T, XR6T and XR8 etc). Toyota for example dropped the Celica but is now looking at introducing the TRD Aurion. Holden dropped the supercharged SV6 and is now relying more on the SS - both of the newies are great cars (or will be in regards to the TRD car), but the SS for example does 17L per 100km (Im sure a supercharged V6 could do better)!!! I thought fuel was a non-renewable resource!

Last edited by a moderator:

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
The supercharged 6 probably isn't as fuel efficient as a similarly tuned V8 model. Forced induction doesn't give you free power like that. The SV6, with it's strung out V6 engine and long gearing can get very good fuel economy for its performance level. One need only look at something like a WRX STi and see that even though its got alot less displacement (and 10 more kilowatts), there isnt that much advantage in fuel economy. The all aluminium V8 also gives much better weight distribution because it is lighter and can be mounted lower (because it's not an overhead cam engine).

Edit: the SS is listed in wheels as 14.XL/100. While the SV6 is 11.3 and the STI 11.0.

Jiga

The supercharged 6 probably isn't as fuel efficient as a similarly tuned V8 model. Forced induction doesn't give you free power like that.
Not really... the last supercharged V6 Holden had (VY) did 12.5L per 100km... thats better then any V8 by a long shot. Fact is more fuel is needed with forced induction, but still with V8s you have to feed two more cylinders and lug around an extra 200kg, which aint gonna do wanders for fuel efficiency!

The SV6, with it's strung out V6 engine and long gearing can get very good fuel economy for its performance level. One need only look at something like a WRX STi and see that even though its got alot less displacement (and 10 more kilowatts), there isnt that much advantage in fuel economy.
Yeah but Sti is an extreme example, that is like a high performance kinda car (and I wouldnt trust wheels m8... they will do anything to make the Commodore look better). With your avg boosted car, they aernt that aggressively tuned so they retain some fuel efficiency while have more power.

The all aluminium V8 also gives much better weight distribution because it is lighter and can be mounted lower (because it's not an overhead cam engine).
Thats not really V8 specific that weight thing, all engines these days are all alloy. As for mounting the engine lower cos their pushrod, I wouldnt really regard this as an advantage... the fact that these engines are pushrod are limiting them, you just have to look at the SS vs say something like an Aurion, one produces 45kw per L while the other produces 57kw per L. This is because with pushrod you can only have 2 valves per cylinder and cant utilise things like vvti... they are very primitive engines design wise.

Edit: the SS is listed in wheels as 14.XL/100. While the SV6 is 11.3 and the STI 11.0.
Yes that would explain it, you got it from wheels! The previous SS Commodore did a similar figure, yet they are now pushing 50kw more... I find it hard to believe that power gain (through adding 300Ml more dissplacement and tuning) came without any sacrafice, not to mention more reliable reviews like NRMA have put the figure closer to 17L per 100km.... which seems more accurate. So V8s are certainly not efficient, esp when you design them to do the 100 in under 6secs!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)