• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Careers after uni.. (1 Viewer)

sci.girl

VCE IS DONE!!:D (finally)
HSC
So, now amid bad economic times, blah, blah, world is ending stuff, What is the best career? That is in 10 years who will still have a job?

Personally I'm hoping medicine or psychology. Any thoughts?? :confused:

*sorry, wasn't sure where to put this. Feel free to move it :)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
well yea of course, an economic downturn ain't going to decrease the demand for medical services (generally, of course in the true sense if ppl do have less money they may not be able to afford optional services which are not bulk-billed eg counselling, physio, chario, certain dental services etc), but overall the world will always need docs :)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Government jobs, military, etc i'd say would still be pretty secure. But employment will only inc by a few %, Australia hasn't lost alot of big buisnesses, nor has any of it's banking or large scale financial institutions have gone bust. Unlike in Amerika.

Alt: work for the dole!

Good luck for med, but even tough times are set for med graduates due to the crippling lack of internships, training and placements.

Last edited:

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
Pick Med over Psyc any day. We need Doctors a lot more than we need psychlogists, and judging by the enormous class sizes in Psyc, you're going to have to do very well in it to have a hope of getting picked for a job out of everyone else.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Goon producer.
In times of economic hardship, demand for cheap grog (read:goon) increases.

dolbinau

HSC
Even Medicine prospects don't look as 'guaranteed' as they once were, apparently. That is, more people than intern positions in future.

But I doubt you could go wrong.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
sci.girl said:
So, now amid bad economic times, blah, blah, world is ending stuff, What is the best career? That is in 10 years who will still have a job?
Garbo. Seriously, 'best' career? What kind of mindset is that?

sci.girl

VCE IS DONE!!:D (finally)
HSC
AsyLum said:
Garbo. Seriously, 'best' career? What kind of mindset is that?
Oh, so whatever I can't be stuffed to word myself properly on the internet. Yah know what I mean anyways.

Despite the fact I don't sound bright I promise I am and I could definitely stand out within the huge classes of psych. With such a long time it takes to study to actually become a psychologist, I'm sure those classes wouldn't be so big in Honours year??

Thanks for the replies :)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
sci.girl said:
Oh, so whatever I can't be stuffed to word myself properly on the internet. Yah know what I mean anyways.

Despite the fact I don't sound bright I promise I am and I could definitely stand out within the huge classes of psych. With such a long time it takes to study to actually become a psychologist, I'm sure those classes wouldn't be so big in Honours year??

In your Hons. year you spend the whole year researching and writing about a question that your hons supervisor devises.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
I reckon a career in Investment Banking would be ideal.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
sci.girl said:

The reason is because they're culled before the Honours year

HSC
Teaching, Nursing, Human Resources and anything Public Sector-ish.

Unless you get robots start taking over those jobs withing 10 years...

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
to be honest, i think one of the most secure careers in australia would be accounting. everyone needs accountants of some form - individuals right through to large companies. however i don't know how many people are actually excited by accounting itself...

during an economic downturn, i guess you could say that "the fat is trimmed" in terms of jobs - eg i think the more unnecessary jobs like sales, marketing, investors etc would be the first to go. Any job that is linked directly the performance of the economy would be at risk.

Generally those who provide good quality services are still needed.

anyway the bottom line is that these are all generalisations, and if you yourself are really good at what you do, then you as a person you should be in demand anywhere (unless you've been really unlucky) :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)