Can u smoke at uni (1 Viewer)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
I was wondering if u can smoke at uni, or idoes the same law that regulates schools apply to uni

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Smoking at uni is fine, and almost part of the culture. Just try to do it away from buildings (I think 10m isn't it?), otherwise people can get a bit shirty.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
People always smoke. But people who don't smoke tend to get really angry and like hipsta_jess said its gonna be a certain distance from buildings. Some classes you can leave anytime during the lecture to go out for a smoke, even the lecturers leave during the lecture for a smoke.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
What lecturers leave lectures for a smoke, isnt that wasting valuable lecture time

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
oh i just had a scary idea- u have to be 10 meters away from the building while having the j inside the building

that freaks me out and my perception of reality

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
One of the universities I went a couple of yrs ago for open day didn't allow smoking on campus grounds at all!!

What I found weird last yr the uni disallowed smoking within 'X' amount of meters away from the main entrance but all other entrances to the uni allowed smoking.

I usually make sure I smoke away from doors and chew on strong mint flavoured gum + either take my jumper off when smoking or wear a jacket in the winter and take it off when I go back into a lecture or tute, mainly in lectures though. Non-smokers can really smell the smoke on you, particularly in lecture theatres since your in close proximity to other students ...

Generator

HSC
N/A
Korn said:
I was wondering if u can smoke at uni, or idoes the same law that regulates schools apply to uni
Generator's Law... No smoking within 20m of a doorway or along a frequently used walkway.

I cannot stand unexpected and out of place smoke, but then again I can suffer through the haze if it's to be expected.

klh

HSC
how considerate of you!!!
most people at penrith just smoke outside the library at lunch. i dont think i saw any restrictions since the security people did th esame also.
ive seen some lecturers smoke, but come in right after for question time.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
its cool to smoke just outside the library.

all the nerds look up to you.

^___^
HSC
redruM said:
its cool to smoke just outside the library.

all the nerds look up to you.

its cool to smoke inside actuarial lectures too
cos even the nerdy lecturer look up to you :p

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
No. You cannot smoke at uni. Smoking causes impotency. DO YOU WANT TO NOT BE ABLE TO GET IT UP?

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
As has been said, I think its only common courtesy that you keep away from non-smokers. Smokers have a right to smoke, and non-smokers have a right not to be exposed to smoke. I think thats fair enough

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
In front of every doorway when it's raining because the selfish fucking mongs can't grow half a brain and realise that smoking doesn't do them any good.

You have to admit. Uni is a pretty cool place because of these people. =\

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
i agree with poloktim in that in the rain people hang around right in front of the doorways... makes it horrible to have to walk out through the smoke... on fine days its cool because they have to courtesy to move away.. but on rainy days perhaps they could find somewhere else??

its frustrating because i usually go straight from uni to work and i cant show up to work with kids smelling like smoke... so i gotta find back entrances where theres no-one puffing away...

my 2cents...

jellybeenz

HSC
For non-smokers, I just would like to say, you have a right to not be exposed to smoke, you do not, however, have a right to comment upon another persons choice to smoke.

It is not polite to say "smoking will kill you" or "its a filthy and unhealthy habit" or "that is so disgusting, you smell like smoke".... Keep your opinions to yourself. Nobody likes to be told what to do and you aren't saying anything a smoker hasn't heard before or read on the goddam packet.

Generator

HSC
N/A
jellybeenz said:
For non-smokers, I just would like to say, you have a right to not be exposed to smoke, you do not, however, have a right to comment upon another persons choice to smoke.

It is not polite to say "smoking will kill you" or "its a filthy and unhealthy habit" or "that is so disgusting, you smell like smoke".... Keep your opinions to yourself. Nobody likes to be told what to do and you aren't saying anything a smoker hasn't heard before or read on the goddam packet.
We do have the 'right' to comment if the smoker has not bothered with the removing themselves from a 'public' thoroughfare, though. The onus is on the smoker to consider the needs of the wider public, after all :).

Edit: Basically a pointless post given the quote (right to not be exposed and freedom of choice), but the second sentence still stands.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)