Can u smoke at uni (1 Viewer)

jellybeenz

HSC
Nah I get what you mean, I do reckon smokers should stay away from non-smokers in public thoroughfares and whatnot but I resent those who decide to take the moral high ground and tell people what they should and should not do. Some people jsut don't know its not polite to comment on other people's completely legal behaviour.

But in answer to the threads question. Of course you can smoke at Uni, as long as you are outdoors and away from buildings.

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
i dont care if people smoke its there choice and i neve comment on it
i comment when the smoke is in my face
then i tell them not to smoke near me
i will however tell someone off if they try to make me smoke

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
jellybeenz said:
For non-smokers, I just would like to say, you have a right to not be exposed to smoke, you do not, however, have a right to comment upon another persons choice to smoke.

It is not polite to say "smoking will kill you" or "its a filthy and unhealthy habit" or "that is so disgusting, you smell like smoke".... Keep your opinions to yourself. Nobody likes to be told what to do and you aren't saying anything a smoker hasn't heard before or read on the goddam packet.
How about those non-smokers who have health problems related to smoking? Never touched a cigarette in their lives, but still have smoking related problems. After going through things like that, I think that person has every right to be on a moral high ground. In fact, they have a responsibilty to let smokers know first hand that if passive smoking can do that, imagine what smoking does.

I reckon if smokers can't take the advice that's put on the packet, then they need to be told. Who knows, there might be a smoker who's dyslexic. It'll be more trouble for him/her to read the packet.

Don't want to deal with the bullshit you get for smoking, simple. Don't smoke. It does no good anyway. :)

Though it should be mentioned at UOW people tend to smoke near doors even when told not to. I've seen it happen at USyd and UTS as well. When a uni is full, it's often found that the fresh air is inside a building. A sad day when that happens. :)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Cactus said:
You're not serious are you?
I know plenty of dyslexic people who smoke. =\ They get told it's bad, but they don't read the packages. What makes you think that a dyslexic person wouldn't do things that someone who isn't dyslexic would do?

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
poloktim said:
They get told it's bad, but they don't read the packages.

I get told it's bad. I read the packeges. I still smoke. Whats your point?

jellybeenz

HSC
poloktim said:
I reckon if smokers can't take the advice that's put on the packet, then they need to be told.
What makes you think that what you have to say will stop someone from smoking? All it accomplishes is to make you look like a rude dickhead. If nobody is infringing on your rights, leave them alone. Just as I would leave you alone if I saw you eating a cheeseburger.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
jellybeenz said:
What makes you think that what you have to say will stop someone from smoking? All it accomplishes is to make you look like a rude dickhead. If nobody is infringing on your rights, leave them alone. Just as I would leave you alone if I saw you eating a cheeseburger.
Does a cheeseburger cause harm to anyone else? I don't remember anyone having part of their lung removed because people ate cheeseburgers around them. :)

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
well you could take the perspective that fast food marketing has lead to a global problem of fat kids that will develop heart and god knows any other problems

probably in the same numbers too

jellybeenz

HSC
poloktim said:
Does a cheeseburger cause harm to anyone else? I don't remember anyone having part of their lung removed because people ate cheeseburgers around them. :)
Did you even read my post? I just said leave people alone if they aren't infringing on your rights. And unless someone blows smoke in your face, is smoking inside or near the entrance to a public building, or wherever a sign specifically states "no-smoking", they aren't doing anything wrong. If they are doing none of those things? You have no right to say anything, just as I have no right to pass judgement on those who choose to eat cheeseburgers.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
But people eat the burgers themselves. My eating a cheeseburger won't as a direct result make someone else overweight. Not everyone smokes, but sadly these people have to put up with others doing it.

jellybeenz said:
Did you even read my post? I just said leave people alone if they aren't infringing on your rights. And unless someone blows smoke in your face, is smoking inside or near the entrance to a public building, or wherever a sign specifically states "no-smoking", they aren't doing anything wrong. If they are doing none of those things? You have no right to say anything, just as I have no right to pass judgement on those who choose to eat cheeseburgers.
The problem is, every smoker I know says "I never smoke near non-smokers, buildings etc." But the thing is, every single one of them is full of shit. I have yet to meet one smoker who does respect the fact that not all of us want lung cancer, and smokes away from non-smokers. Their cravings get the better of them.

Until I actually meet a person who has this sort of respect for others (and not even my own father or sister have this respect), I'll continue to be an arsehole to smokers. :)

Last edited:

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
poloktim said:
But people eat the burgers themselves. My eating a cheeseburger won't as a direct result make someone else overweight. Not everyone smokes, but sadly these people have to put up with others doing it.
im implying that marketing is the real problem

of course if u choose to eat a hamburger someone else will get fat

what im saying is marketing goes too far- fast food is about making money through an unhealthy product

and ppl consider business to not always a bad thing, except the way our society functions its impossible to live without

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
I read somewhere that passive smoking is worse to a person's health than actually smoking a cigarette themselves.

people who smoke should be considerate about those around them who DON'T like smoking.. and vice versa. it's the smoker's choice, it's a BAD choice, but it's their choice.

/end randomness

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
i heard that being in the city for one day is equilavent to smoking like 6 and a half cigarettes from all the pollution etc
so u might as well not go to the city coz it will effect you
either way..

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
everyone is going to die- this is how the story ends ppl...the exact details to me seem pointless since you cant live forever

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
Annegelic said:
but to die cos of smoking... is pretty lame.
who cares? fate is out of your hands

you could smoke since u were 14 and die while crossing a road or having a bottle smashed over ur head at a pub

anything can happen

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
alright, but dying cos of smoking is a choice. that's not fate. you're choosing to eventually kill yourself that way.
crossing the road, being murdered, etc is more fate.
but yeah.... whatever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)