Can they actually ask an essay question about rediscovery in the HSC (1 Viewer)

Dellrune

HSC
N/A
Title!

I ask so because I feel not every prescribed text deals with the aspect of rediscovery thus making it an unfair question.

Thoughts?

astroman

HSC
they might, unlikely for modules though, might be integrated into creative.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes why wouldn't they be able to?

You have opportunities to choose related texts that encompass rediscovery

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Yes why wouldn't they be able to?

You have opportunities to choose related texts that encompass rediscovery
But not the opportunity to choose our prescribed texts :)

But seriously how many rediscoveries are there in The Tempest? I can only think of 1 or 2...

nancylime

HSC
But not the opportunity to choose our prescribed texts :)

But seriously how many rediscoveries are there in The Tempest? I can only think of 1 or 2...
Stacks!
Miranda rediscovering her past
Alonso rediscovering Ferdinand (thought he was dead)
Prospero rediscovering forgiveness and relationship with his brother
Caliban and Ariel rediscovering freedom
The whole cast rediscovering order (overthrown from when boatswain takes command)

If you ask me, rediscovery is the biggest part of The Tempest!!!

sida1049

HSC
To excel in English, you must be able to take the smallest, most desperate ideas, and overextend them beyond what they are.

If the question is on rediscovery and you have no clue what to do, as a last resort, argue that your protagonists are rediscovering their sense of discovery. Boom. Band 7.

No but seriously, if the question doesn't suit your preparation well, don't panic and look for the smallest or the broadest ideas to work with. It's always worked for me, and I was forced to use a poem I didn't read for over half a year and still managed 17/20 somehow (I honestly have no clue how that one worked out well).

English... is the art of pretension.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Stacks!
Miranda rediscovering her past
Alonso rediscovering Ferdinand (thought he was dead)
Prospero rediscovering forgiveness and relationship with his brother
Caliban and Ariel rediscovering freedom
The whole cast rediscovering order (overthrown from when boatswain takes command)

If you ask me, rediscovery is the biggest part of The Tempest!!!
I wouldn't say Miranda is "rediscovering" her past, as it isn't the second time she's discovering it, it's her first time. Prospero isn't also "rediscovering", he's "discovering" that the "rarer action is in virtue rather than in vengeance", it seems like you're just using the idea of rediscovery without really knowing how it works.

Last edited:

nancylime

HSC
I wouldn't say Miranda is "rediscovering" her past, as it isn't the second time she's discovering it, it's her first time. Prospero isn't also "rediscovering", he's "discovering" that the "rarer action is in virtue rather than in vengeance", it seems like you're just using the idea of rediscovery without really knowing how it works.
OK your problem - if you're not flexible and a little bit of a bullshitter then you're probably in strife. English is about being to adapt and prove it. Good luck mate

Flop21

HSC
Do you guys think they can ask specific things that aren't really in the rubric?

E.g. there is a 'past' paper floating around and the whole paper asks about childhood discoveries. Would this ever be in the HSC? I don't get how they can ask something so specific, how the hell are we suppose to know the nature of childhood discoveries??

nancylime

HSC
Just some evidence for you to prove that I know what I'm talking about Bluegas
Here's the Cambridge definition of rediscovery: "to ​find something or someone again after ​losing or ​forgetting about it, him, or her for a ​long ​time"
Miranda rediscovering past -
Prospero: "Canst thou remember/ A time before we came to this cell?"
Miranda: "Certainly, sir, I can."
She had forgotten about it: "'Tis far off;/And rather like a dream"

And rediscovering forgiveness is a stretch but Prospero most certainly rediscovers his relationship with Antonio

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you guys think they can ask specific things that aren't really in the rubric?

E.g. there is a 'past' paper floating around and the whole paper asks about childhood discoveries. Would this ever be in the HSC? I don't get how they can ask something so specific, how the hell are we suppose to know the nature of childhood discoveries??
I strongly doubt that they would be that specific about "childhood discoveries" in the HSC

sida1049

HSC

Hmm I might have seen that paper (or at least a part of it... and I'm pretty sure the paper itself is non-representative of the HSC nor trial papers). I highly doubt that they'd ask something to be specific, but it's possible, considering just how eclectic the concept of a discovery can be (e.g. childhood discoveries may rationalised as the combination rediscoveries, curiosity, sudden/unexpected discoveries, et cetera). Something like that have pretty much zero chance of appearing as the HSC extended response question. Paper 2 however is a different story; they can quite specific. But regarding your question - I wouldn't worry about it. It's not a definite "no", but it's very close to it.

crowley926

HSC

No way. The word childhood isn't even mentioned in the rubric so that's pretty dog if they do. And as said before that is sooo specific they'd effectively be nulllifying a large percentage of candidates

tigerian

HSC
N/A
I set my class "Explore how challenging existing perspectives can lead to the discovery of renewed perceptions of ourselves and the world .

tigerian

HSC
N/A
Do you mean this one which is a creative task ?

Question 2 (15 marks) !

You have been asked to compose a creative story to appear in an anthology titled “Discoveries and
Childhood”. !
Use the following image to stimulate your response.

Dellrune

HSC
N/A
To excel in English, you must be able to take the smallest, most desperate ideas, and overextend them beyond what they are.

If the question is on rediscovery and you have no clue what to do, as a last resort, argue that your protagonists are rediscovering their sense of discovery. Boom. Band 7.

No but seriously, if the question doesn't suit your preparation well, don't panic and look for the smallest or the broadest ideas to work with. It's always worked for me, and I was forced to use a poem I didn't read for over half a year and still managed 17/20 somehow (I honestly have no clue how that one worked out well).

English... is the art of pretension.
the thing is my prescribed material, Wrack, only has perhaps 1 or 2 at the very maximum rediscoveries.
I feel like HSC will ask a duel question of two parts, like the one posted above by tigerian

sida1049

HSC
the thing is my prescribed material, Wrack, only has perhaps 1 or 2 at the very maximum rediscoveries.
I feel like HSC will ask a duel question of two parts, like the one posted above by tigerian
You're doing 'Wrack'?! So am I! It's such a piece of wrack.

My approach to the discovery essay has nothing to do with rediscoveries either, but if I'm stuck in a situation where I have to talk about it, I'd shift my whole essay to talk about how David rediscovers his perception that "the past is shifting, uncertain...", which he has lost after discovering the journal (and I'd only use the materials/content I've prepared). (The process for just that one aspect can be elongated for an entire essay. As with most things, I guess.) My related text... on the other hand, doesn't really work, but I'd still bullshit my way through it and probably end up doing more than alright.

For the most part, English teachers are well aware that we are preparing essays and everything, so if they see that you are adapting well beyond a certain intangible threshold, they'd consider that a job-well-done.

There's always a way to bs your way through English essays with almost any given content... you just need to see it.

rafall

HSC
N/A
I think the question will be very broad not specific HOPEFULLY...But talking about rediscovery, how would I link the 'Road Not Taken" and "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" to rediscovery??

sida1049

HSC
I think the question will be very broad not specific HOPEFULLY...But talking about rediscovery, how would I link the 'Road Not Taken" and "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" to rediscovery??
Don't really know your texts, but I'm pretty sure you can definitely bs your way through them. For 'The Road Not Taken', you can focus on discussing the idea of the rediscovery of humanity's curiosity/sense of discovery, if you can't think of anything else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)