CADETSHIPS 2012 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
My spiel in all my interviews was that I thought accounting experience was extremely important in understanding a business, which would help me in my aspirations to one day run my own business.

Also its weird that ey used a personality test this year, I don't see how reliable/valid they would be. But congrats if you get an interview, they give out less than the other 2 big 4s, and they give arounx 50% of interviewees an offer (based on last years experience)
Personality tests are rarely used to cull people (at least in accounting) given how subjective they are; but rather it helps shape and steer the interviewer.

forthehsc

HSC
Do big 4 usually tell you if you've been successful in moving onto the next stage over the phone if you've just had a phone interview? Or do they actually tell you within that week?

Jousams

HSC
N/A
Do big 4 usually tell you if you've been successful in moving onto the next stage over the phone if you've just had a phone interview? Or do they actually tell you within that week?
EY dont have a phone interview, i got a call thisafternoon saying ive been accepted to come to the next stage which is a recruitment day.(PS THANKYOU! everyone from BOS for your advice, i did not expect this at all since my atar aim is only 80)

the mid tier firms who ive spoken to would call , ask a few questions (brief phone interview) and then offer you to come down for a face to face interview.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Varies by firm I'd say.

EY dont have a phone interview, i got a call thisafternoon saying ive been accepted to come to the next stage which is a recruitment day.(PS THANKYOU! everyone from BOS for your advice, i did not expect this at all since my atar aim is only 80)

the mid tier firms who ive spoken to would call , ask a few questions (brief phone interview) and then offer you to come down for a face to face interview.
Keep in mind you'll still need to get into a CA-eligible course though and agreed with the firm or the contract rescinds.

tambam

HSC
Pwc is the only one with a phone interview. But all 3 firms (pwc,ey & kpmg) will call you to let you know if you've received a face to face interview, so have your phone with you always/get voicemail! Pwc calls you a bit later because they have to process the phone interviews first probably (I remember this cos they called me during my ey interview lol)

dopeystudent

HSC
Hi,

So I've been offered an interview at EY on Monday, and I really don't know what to expect. I mean besides the generic questions like, "What motivates you to choose EY", etc. Also, IF I do happen to get myself a position there, how will my uni/work time be allocated? If I choose to do full-time work and part-time study, does that mean I'll be working 4 days a week - over 6 hours a day - then uni at night? That sounds a bit hectic. What about 2 years full-time work and 2 years full-time study? Will they still pay me allowances and all those bonuses during the 2 years of uni? So many questions...

Last one, what's the typical starting salary for a cadet at EY in the TAX division?

Jousams

HSC
N/A
Hi,

So I've been offered an interview at EY on Monday, and I really don't know what to expect. I mean besides the generic questions like, "What motivates you to choose EY", etc. Also, IF I do happen to get myself a position there, how will my uni/work time be allocated? If I choose to do full-time work and part-time study, does that mean I'll be working 4 days a week - over 6 hours a day - then uni at night? That sounds a bit hectic. What about 2 years full-time work and 2 years full-time study? Will they still pay me allowances and all those bonuses during the 2 years of uni? So many questions...

Last one, what's the typical starting salary for a cadet at EY in the TAX division?
At the information evening they said around 35 000 annually.

tambam

HSC
Hi,

Based on my experience, (may have changed slightly), the interview day consists of:
  1. A morning tea where you talk to some accountants/partners (here you can pick out the pretentious kids trying too hard to make a good impression)
  2. Numeric and verbal reasoning tests (though maybe you did this already?)
  3. Interview: mostly generic questions and then behavioural questions (eg. when was a time you worked in a team, dealt with a difficult team member etc.) - But this can depend on your interviewer and how you personally approach it, mine was the most casual of the ones I did, pretty much just asked him about the firm and talked a bit about myself, and then near the end he was like, oh yeah maybe I should ask you some of the set questions.
  4. Group activity- simulates a business meeting where you have to make a decision based on some information which is provided. You get writing time, then discussion and decision time, then you have a personal reflection where you answer some questions. My advice would be to stay focused on the task and make valid contributions without trying to be too dominant.

- You'll be working full time 4 days a week, and given 1 day to go to uni. (though its flexible, eg. you could work half days instead or choose to go to uni at night and take a day off). While you work you're only completing 2 subjects, which is 2x2hours of lectures (optional) and 2x1 hour of tutorials.
- In the 2 years while you work, you receive a salary (which isnt quite 35k, probably closer to 30k with super & tax) and in the years you don't work you receive a cadet grant. Every year there's also a textbook allowance.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Only caveat to the above I'd say is different firms structure the remuneration packages slightly differently- e.g. one firm might offer you a simple additional amount payable in cash for say a textbook allowance whilst another might reimburse you based on receipts. I've also heard of a large firm which only reimbursed if you passed!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I've decided to start posting a few tips for interviews if people are having them.

1. Do not say you read the newspaper everyday- because the interviewer will ask you to talk about a current issue and why it's important/relevant.
2. When asked "Why are you interested in <firm name>?", have an answer and keep it personal and succinct. Memorising the firm's website (or reading off it) doesn't impress anyone.
3. If it sounds like you have rote learned our question list, the interviewer will purposely make up questions.
4. Understand the difference between "skills" and "traits" when asked what are your skills.
5. We are in Australia not the UK.
6. Understand what the role of <firm> in the industry/economy is as opposed to "it's an accounting company".

Hot potato

HSC
thanks for the tips seremify, i got an interview with ey. i'm so excited :D

Last edited:

smdd

HSC
Anyone get an interview with PKF?

I've got mine on Monday.

tambam

HSC
Only caveat to the above I'd say is different firms structure the remuneration packages slightly differently- e.g. one firm might offer you a simple additional amount payable in cash for say a textbook allowance whilst another might reimburse you based on receipts. I've also heard of a large firm which only reimbursed if you passed!
Also the textbook allowance differs a lot between the big 4 firms.(but the cadet grant not as much)

If anyone has a kpmg/pwc interview just give us a shout and I'll post tips/details specific to those firms

Kamishiro

HSC
If I havent got a call from ey this week after the personality test, does that mean my applications rejected? =="

tambam

HSC
If I havent got a call from ey this week after the personality test, does that mean my applications rejected? =="
Well since other people have theirs on Monday, I'd say probably.
Don't let it get you down too much, ey offers much fewer interviews compared to the other big 4. & if you're really set on them you can always reapply next year.

DR11

HSC
N/A
If anyone has a kpmg/pwc interview just give us a shout and I'll post tips/details specific to those firms
That would be great if you had time, I've got an interview for both!

tambam

HSC
That would be great if you had time, I've got an interview for both!
Sure thing, but again take my advice with a pinch of salt, because chances are they've changed up the interview process from last year.

KPMG
- Interviews: There are 2 interviews, one is with a partner & the other is with a manager. The interview with the partner is quite conversational, with all the generic questions (why do you want to be an accountant etc) they're pretty much trying to find out about you, so let your personality shine through etc, because if you impress them you've pretty much got the gig. The other interview is the complete opposite, they pretty much just shoot question after question, mostly behavioural but some overlap with the other interview, then they take notes, its completely different to most of the other interviews you do in that its not casual at all. Just be to the point and relevant with your answers.
- Written exercise: Basically you get a massive stack of written information and need to summarise it in 30minutes for a manager. It might seem like a lot of time but it is NOT. There are really no guidelines, but my advice would be to present in a way which is easy to read (headings, bullet points, tables). And start typing ASAP, don't read through evrything first because you will not have time- a few of my fairly intelligent friends took this path and only got a few sentences down.
- You also have to redo one of the tests, and then we just spent some time having lunch and chatting to a few employees. Use the opportunity to find out what you can, because they were lower level managers who were pretty honest (but once you're gone they will bitch about you lol, so make a decent impression)

The last thing about KPMG is that they give out a hell of a lot of interviews, over the span of nearly 2 weeks. If you don't hear anything from the day, don't automatically despair, because from what I know they have some sort of quota to fill, and maybe a reserve list. My friend interviewed pretty early on but didn't get an offer until nearly a week later.

PWC
- Interview: This is a 2 on 1 interview with a partner and a manager, its fairly casual and relaxed. Because there's two of them, when one's writing the other one asks questions, so there's a bit more pressure compared to 1 on 1. But as in all interviews, remember its perfectly fine to take a moment to think and gather your thoughts (drinking water is a good excuse).
- Written Task & Group Activity: Basically you're given some information in the form of a report, and you have to analyse it and write some kind of summary/recommendation. If you do business studies it should be a breeze, but otherwise just use some common sense and think. Its hand written so be legible! Then you pretty much just form a team and discuss and make a decision (see the stuff i wrote for ey, its pretty much the same)

One thing I'd like to add is that if you've already made the decision to accept an offer with a firm, then do the right thing and cancel your other interviews so you're not wasting the valuable time of partners/managers. But in saying that, if you're not completely sure, its worthwhile to experience the firms as much as you can before you make a decision (ie. through the interview day, celebration event)

But yeah, all the best to everyone :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
One thing I'd like to add is that if you've already made the decision to accept an offer with a firm, then do the right thing and cancel your other interviews so you're not wasting the valuable time of partners/managers. But in saying that, if you're not completely sure, its worthwhile to experience the firms as much as you can before you make a decision (ie. through the interview day, celebration event)
Indeed. :)

DR11

HSC
N/A
Sure thing, but again take my advice with a pinch of salt, because chances are they've changed up the interview process from last year.
Thank you very much for that, I think I'll find it very useful.

I was just wondering: from what you said I gather they send out offers a week or so after your interview. Is that the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)