Cable versus ADSL2+? (1 Viewer)

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
No. Ethernet is a technology. I can have ethernet over power or ethernet over infiniband or I can have the ethernet standard 1000BASE‑T
I'm using the correct terms for describing the technology used in backbone networks because you asked about AARNet and now you're talking about residential networks :/

Are you talking about connecting a home on the street to the exchange? or an exchange to the rest of the network?
Well in IPT I learnt Ethernet to be a protocol, the other is token ring. yes home to street exchange and then exchange to the rest of the network. like do the universitys have a fiber optic connection network, whereas residential ones have only ethernet CAT cables/twisted pair? or coaxial?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Well in IPT I learnt Ethernet to be a protocol, the other is token ring. yes home to street exchange and then exchange to the rest of the network. like do the universitys have a fiber optic connection network, whereas residential ones have only ethernet CAT cables/twisted pair? or coaxial?
Its only called a Ethernet Protocol because it uses the Ethernet Technology to utilise the various networking protocols given to us, for example Point-to-point protocol over Ethernet.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
IPT sets you up for life bro

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah i'll be able to go on ultimate now, 13 digit account. which modem are you using?

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
it's a toss up between a cisco EPC3925 and a netgear cg3100 (i have dis)
no control over which one you get
both are apt, can always go for bridge mode if it doesn't tickle you

registering the cisco modems can be a right pain in the arse i've heard

EDIT: double check your bundle, only complete home bundles give you cable ultimate, if you need to cahnge from one of the older ones you're probably going to lose a discount along the way if you have other services

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Say i have the bigpond 500gb tbox bundled with home phone+ 4 mobs, am i able to get that speed upgrade.

(bro tip: will check if adsl or cable when i get home)

Mayazcherquoi

HSC
lol wtf, do they have some special federal connection to da internet or someshit? ...So it is possible in Australia : o
CSIRO have dedicated 1gbps connections to the Internet. And so do other buildings in the North Ryde district too (the last "stop", so to speak, before all packets leave the country).

Nice to see you come out from under your rock, how many years have you been living under there? Think about it. How many people have the internet in australia, how many people are using it at one time and can get decent speeds, it adds up quickly.

HFC (cable) has DOCSIS3 and Telstra offers 100/2 mbit/s, I'm sure optus has similar offerings on their cable network. FTTH isn't new either, Telstra's offered it under Velocity for years (in greenfield developments) with 100/5 mbit/s.

Universities are connected to AARNet who have a very nice network - http://www.aarnet.edu.au/aarnet3.aspx Internode's network is very good as well http://www.internode.on.net/pdf/network/internode-international-network.pdf
I lol'd.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
it's a toss up between a cisco EPC3925 and a netgear cg3100 (i have dis)
no control over which one you get
both are apt, can always go for bridge mode if it doesn't tickle you

registering the cisco modems can be a right pain in the arse i've heard

EDIT: double check your bundle, only complete home bundles give you cable ultimate, if you need to cahnge from one of the older ones you're probably going to lose a discount along the way if you have other services
Cisco anything>Netgear.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
CSIRO have dedicated 1gbps connections to the Internet. And so do other buildings in the North Ryde district too (the last "stop", so to speak, before all packets leave the country).
sorry kid but none of the international cables leave frrom ryde

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Seriously though back on topic guys, ADSL2+ speeds vary depending on where you live and congestion in your exchange. I am in Pyrmont and not all ISPs were willing to let me set up a connection to the exchange given how full it was (and why they have such limited capacity in a densely populated area next to the CBD is beyond me). My speeds range from 3-5Mbps downloads and 1-2Mbps uploads on my wireless. Without the wire when I tried it I think I got 5.5 or something so it's not the wireless which is slowing me down.

Anyway, this is what I get in my corporate housing apartment in NY plugged into my Airport Express.

Apparently I'm getting upgraded this week so fingers crossed for an even better result. So far it's been great for uploading photos and videos to send back home!

EDIT: Thought I'd try running it by plugging into the wall rather than my Airport Express.

Last edited:

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Seriously though back on topic guys, ADSL2+ speeds vary depending on where you live and congestion in your exchange. I am in Pyrmont and not all ISPs were willing to let me set up a connection to the exchange given how full it was (and why they have such limited capacity in a densely populated area next to the CBD is beyond me).
Infrastructure capacity. Remember the federal govt's USO meant that copper had to be always available for PSTN services, ADSL was just something that could piggyback off it. If you're hoping for a better result in this day and age, however, you'll be waiting a while. Structural separation of Telstra means that exchanges won't be upgraded until fibre is rolled out (and even then they're going from like 130->12 exchanges in the sydney cbd so you're still going to cop a fair bit of congestion, albeit you'll have a much higher speed).

You either move close to an exchange or change access method. In pyrmont though (provided the data allowances aren't an issue - but really I doubt that) Telstra's 4G should be hitting at ~30mbit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)