• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Business degrees. (1 Viewer)

Clean Sweep

HSC
I was looking at Atar cut offs for Commerce at MQ and Business at UTS. It got me thinking so I just want to ask you, is UTS any good at Business since it is a technology university and I also always hear whispers that Commerce at MQ is better. Please sort out my confusion.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
I heard MQ is better than UTS but it's pretty much the same shit, different uni.

ATAR isn't an indication of quality, I can tell you that for sure.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Yeah atar indication isn't anything at all

i.e. the central campus of UTS is 9X while the karringai is almost 10 points lower - exactly same course, just different locations

I don't know anything about business but I know a lot of my friends want to do it at UTS

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Doesn't really matter, just go to whichever is more convenient.

I do Applied Finance/Law (transferring back to standard Commerce/Law next sem) at Macquarie and I can say it's an excellent university overall. Apparently our commerce assessments are a little more pesky than other universities (you can interpret that as a good or bad thing - really up to you). In the real world though, nobody really cares. It's not the uni that defines you, but more your individual performance.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

I do Applied Finance/Law (transferring back to standard Commerce/Law next sem) at Macquarie and I can say it's an excellent university overall. Apparently our commerce assessments are a little more pesky than other universities (you can interpret that as a good or bad thing - really up to you). In the real world though, nobody really cares. It's not the uni that defines you, but more your individual performance.
That being said, those in the know (e.g. me) are aware of the challenge and rigour that Macquarie students go through relative to say, UTS. Comes down to personal preference but in my experience, the Macquarie people who I have worked with have shown a very robust understanding of accounting/finance compared to those from other universities.

enoilgam

HSC

Couldnt agree more.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
That being said, those in the know (e.g. me) are aware of the challenge and rigour that Macquarie students go through relative to say, UTS. Comes down to personal preference but in my experience, the Macquarie people who I have worked with have shown a very robust understanding of accounting/finance compared to those from other universities.
Out of curiosity, why is this?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah atar indication isn't anything at all

i.e. the central campus of UTS is 9X while the karringai is almost 10 points lower - exactly same course, just different locations

I don't know anything about business but I know a lot of my friends want to do it at UTS
Once you get into UTS you can pick which ever campus you want to go to anyway, they dont even run half the subjects at ku ring gai from what I've seen on the online timetable.

--

UTS is a pretty good uni for Business, it actually ranks a lot higher than any of their other courses they offer, IT comes in a lot later lol. UTS does have a lot of focus on industry and getting you ready for it, especially with a focus of management and working in teams and stuff in each subject.

With that being said, UTS is an excellent university if you plan to major in accounting.

Clean Sweep

HSC
Okay so if all Universities are the same, does it matter if I do Bachelor of Business and Commerce (Advanced Business Leadership) at UWS which is the most convenient uni for me?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
From speaking with friends it sounds like they cram a LOT of content into their subjects, and there isn't as much of a focus on open book exams.
Interesting.

Is this something employers are aware of?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Okay so if all Universities are the same, does it matter if I do Bachelor of Business and Commerce (Advanced Business Leadership) at UWS which is the most convenient uni for me?
It still makes a difference. Some employers will have preference, and some will also take into account that based on historical experience they have a higher proportion of people coming from certain universities. It's very difficult to prove any kind of linkage but it does make a difference.

Interesting.

Is this something employers are aware of?
Some yes, some no. But either way I don't think that would be that influential in the recruitment process since at the end of the day, it's your ability to learn as opposed to what you know which will make you employable in a lot of professions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)