Buses first week (1 Viewer)

kurst

HSC
Uni Grad
I heard that when uni first starts you should get to the buses early because there's so many people trying to catch them . If my first class on monday is at 11am, when should I get to central station by? Also how early and how late can you arrive at lectures/tutes/labs?

Power Rangers

HSC
N/A
just get the 393 or 395 srsly it only takes an extra 5-10 minutes

kurst

HSC
Uni Grad
oh yeah I forgot that this only applies for the express bus aha

froogle

HSC
N/A
I think all of the buses starting with 39 go along anzac pde, and therefore would pass in front of the uni.

The benefit of catching 891 is that it's express and will drop you off at the lower, middle or upper campus saving you a lot of time walking.

D94

HSC
N/A
I heard that when uni first starts you should get to the buses early because there's so many people trying to catch them . If my first class on monday is at 11am, when should I get to central station by? Also how early and how late can you arrive at lectures/tutes/labs?
11am class should be alright, I recall lines aren't as long (the line/s from 8:30 to 9:30 are really bad). I guess if you are sort of worried, then arrive just before 10:30 at Central.

Generally, it doesn't matter what time you arrive at lectures, but the lecturer will most likely care if you're something like 20 minutes late. For tutorials and labs, you should arrive on time.

and thats less than the time you'd spend waiting in line
But you then need to walk from the front (i.e. Anzac Parade) of the uni to wherever which is a considerably walk...you wouldn't want to catch that bus only to just realise you have a class in the Biomedical Theatre. Even the walk to the Red Centre takes 5 minutes, so the 891 will probably be better unless you're in Tyree.

kurst

HSC
Uni Grad
ok thanks :) my first lecture is in the physics theatre so either way I think I'm good for walking

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
9am bus lines will be terrible for about two to three weeks.

malenkhean

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
How long's the wait for 891 for early morning classes? :/ I've got lectures up in clancy and I'm not walking that far up!

D94

HSC
N/A
How long's the wait for 891 for early morning classes? :/ I've got lectures up in clancy and I'm not walking that far up!
Make sure you take either the 891 or M50 if you are getting on at Central. The walk will be terrible if you somehow manage to get off on Anzac Parade.

If you go to Google Maps and look at the street view. For the first couple of weeks, people will be actually lining up on Elizabeth St (i.e. passed the second bridge tunnel and around the corner), or go deep into the park some 50-70 metres in.

The wait can be something like 10 minutes to 20 minutes. It's pretty bad.

If you really don't want to wait, then consider getting off at Town Hall and catch a bus from there, or go to Railway Square and see if the 891 stops there (some do, most don't) or take another bus. If you're there early, then maybe standing in a long line isn't your thing, so search alternative routes to UNSW.

Last edited:

jessicahung

HSC
Uni Grad
If I wanna go to library should I get off near the middle or upper campus?
Also what buses are available from unsw to central station?

D94

HSC
N/A
If I wanna go to library should I get off near the middle or upper campus?
Also what buses are available from unsw to central station?
Upper/Gate 8.

892, 895, M50, 393, 395. Could be a few others, but these are most commonly taken.

malenkhean

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Make sure you take either the 891 or M50 if you are getting on at Central. The walk will be terrible if you somehow manage to get off on Anzac Parade.

If you go to Google Maps and look at the street view. For the first couple of weeks, people will be actually lining up on Elizabeth St (i.e. passed the second bridge tunnel and around the corner), or go deep into the park some 50-70 metres in.

If you really don't want to wait, then consider getting off at Town Hall and catch a bus from there, or go to Railway Square and see if the 891 stops there (some do, most don't) or take another bus. If you're there early, then maybe standing in a long line isn't your thing, so search alternative routes to UNSW.
Gosh that's such a looong wait! I usually get on at Eddy. Does the M50 go pass there?
Also, I know I could check the 131500 site but I still feel like I'll get lost. It'll take me awhile to navigate through the city :/

jessicahung

HSC
Uni Grad
Upper/Gate 8.

892, 895, M50, 393, 395. Could be a few others, but these are most commonly taken.
Thanks and hmm one more question.
Are express buses available from day to night, like anytime, from central to new south?

jessicahung

HSC
Uni Grad

What about 890 892 and 895? Are they same as 891 (so 3 stops) if I'm getting on at Eddy?

malenkhean

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Jess, I feel like you and me are gonna get pretty confused for a while :( haha

D94

HSC
N/A
Gosh that's such a looong wait! I usually get on at Eddy. Does the M50 go pass there?
Also, I know I could check the 131500 site but I still feel like I'll get lost. It'll take me awhile to navigate through the city :/
After the first few weeks, the lines are just 0 minutes to 5 minutes long. Some times you're waiting because there aren't any busses yet.

You need to catch the M50 from Chalmers St, which is just alongside Central station. Probably best to take the 891 for now until you get use to it. Maybe if you're really early, you can try other routes.

Thanks and hmm one more question.
Are express buses available from day to night, like anytime, from central to new south?
Monday to Friday. From Central to UNSW, they start from 7:20am and finish at 2:40pm. From UNSW to Central, the express (895) starts from 4:47am to 10:44pm. They come more frequently during peak/rush hours, and obviously less frequently at other times.

There's also the 892 express which you need to take from Gate 9 (upper campus, near Clancy Auditorium) which starts from 6:31am to 8:27pm (UNSW to Central).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)