BOS Showcase: 2005 Major Works (1 Viewer)

David_O

HSC
N/A
666_blessings said:
Since i started this thread, i suppose i'd better post mine up too. Another collection of poetry for you all to disregard at your leisure.
There's nothing like quoting extensively to reach the word limit.

OutOfOrder

HSC
Logain said:
Here's my short story + flec statement. Any questions/criticism accepted!

Oh and yes, I know I'm basically the only one to do my reflection statement in report format. Ho hum.l
Hey, i really liked your story. Some parts were a little bit corny, but it was really good!

HSC
666 blessings, i haven't actually read all of it, but what i've read so far looks really, really good!!!

So far, 'Pickings' stands out for me.
I'll post more when i get around to reading it all.
I think it's wasted on me, it really is. I'm too impatient and end up reading 2 poems and skimming.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
Thank you, whiterabbit. I've accounted for the impatience of people such as yourself by keeping the word limit on the slim side of the scale.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Jeez, I'd love to post my post-expressionist treatise on recent government - I think Black would like it, after reading his wonderful poetry.

But it keeps coming up with "Document contains no data" when I try to upload it...any suggestions?

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
Haven't got the slightest idea what to do about the 'doc contains no data' thing. Haven't had a chance to read any of the majors posted yet, but I will get to it as soon as i'm done with my jap speaking exam. I'm sure they're all wonderful... all... 23... of... them....

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
Gavrillo said:
Jeez, I'd love to post my post-expressionist treatise on recent government - I think Black would like it, after reading his wonderful poetry.

But it keeps coming up with "Document contains no data" when I try to upload it...any suggestions?
thankyou very very much gavrillo, it means a great deal to me from someone like you. i might be able to help with the issue of the uploading. i think maybe the size of the major work might cause the uploading tool to not work. i think if you remove any sort of graphics from the work it might prove successful. i know i had a similar difficulty with graphics in my work

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
:( - My picture of Gough Whitlam was so uber cool!

Anywho, heregoes: Woot.

P.S - Did you hear about Christ Strom leaving Coffs? It was tre sad. I shouted him a byebye bong.

P.P.S - This is an earlier draft, without editing.

:kaz.n:

HSC
Hello everyone, I do not think I have posted in this section before, but here is my Major Work. It is a Short Story for those of you that don't know :)

Thanks, enjoy reading.

Last edited:

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
OoO said:
Hey, i really liked your story. Some parts were a little bit corny, but it was really good!
Thanks very much! Corny's my speciality... I can just pass it off as "satire", hah!

Is your MW up here?

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Gavrillo- Very impressive stuff! I found that very engaging and the political message was potent and sophisticated. It's very easy to visualise and there are many powerful, confronting images. It's clear that you have a 'vision' for this play. Although at times I found the stage-directions a little excessive. They seem quite prescriptive, in the sense that there isn't much room for interpretation on the directors part. You probably justify this in your RS, and I suppose it's important for ext 2 to make your intentions really clear.

The extensive use of real speech from your various political and historical figures is mostly interesting and at times enlightening. I never knew that some governement ministers were so ignorant *downer*. However, it sort of makes me wonder about the originality of it... like, quite a bit was not directly written by you. Don't get me wrong, it's very effective in communicating your message, and I suppose if one was to veiw your MW as a construction of various existing literature, speechs and other media, then it's all good. I just would've liked to have seen more of your own interpretation of the 'real' people in your play, like, you writing dialogue that you might think they'd say or something along those lines... a scene with Howard and Jannete having a bed-time discussion relating his political performance to his sexual prowess would be hilarious... though probably not too appropriate, but anyway.

Running on from that point, the 'monologue' format of your play (characters delivering didactic dialogue to the audience) was effective but became somewhat predictable. A little more character relationships and characters interacting with eachother would've gone down well with me, but it might just be a personal preference. The 'actor' to me could have been more of an individual character. Although his role is as a narrator of sorts, I think that he could've become a real character in the play, possibly intervening more and meddling in events... the Prospero of sorts, the revisionist historian, or maybe you in disguise. Then again, you do declare it to be a 'history play' so maybe it was best to have portrayed things as they truly happened. Having said this, the actors dialogue is easy to understand and sophisticated at the same time, and probably serves your purpose aptly.

Some sections, like the NOFX bit, made me question the 'producability' of the play ie- it might be difficult to be staged as you've written it. Actually, it wouldn't be that hard, it'd just have to be a fairly large production team with skillful actors who can pull off a good impersonation.

The comic relief/black humour (especially the "burlesque mockery") worked well and created a nice juxtaposition to the confronting nature of the scenes that surround it.

I hope I haven't offended with some of my comments. It is really quite good I think. I enjoyed it a lot, thought it was theatrical, and was captivated by it. Well done!

Jayphen

super disco breakin'
HSC
Gavrillo said:

You can host it on my website if you like..

http://medio-core.com/ul.php

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I really liked yours Gravillo. I liked its pastiche like quality and I loved its immediate relevance to an Australian audience. Any chance of seeing ur RS?

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
scoby_2000 said:
Heres mine....

any comments?
I loved the concept of choices, it was interesting.

Although I did feel that it was reduced to somewhat of a cliche, but I still enjoyed the somewhat open ending. It didn't have complete definative closure.

OutOfOrder

HSC
Logain, yeah mines there somewhere.

19 views on part one and 6 views on part two... guess it wasn't interesting enough to keep going lol.

if someone could comment it'd be great, my teachers liked it, but i dont know if thats just them???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)