• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bonus marks? (1 Viewer)

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Hey guys, I was wondering if I wanted to get into a Engineering at UNSW / USYD could I get some bonus points? I think I get 5 bonus points for going to a slow school, but can I get more, say for example if I live in conditions in which it is really hard to study, or difficult to live properly, will I be able to get free points on top of my 5 bonus marks for going to a slow school?

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Yeah I know that, UNSW also offer that

Jimmy2064

HSC
I'm not entirely sure how the whole bonus system works?

Apparently (for Macquarie Uni) I get 5 bonus points for living in a rural area, plus I can get more for certain subjects totaling up to a maximum of 9. Say I got all 9, and I wanted to get into commerce at Macquarie being an 81 ATAR, would that mean If i got 72.5 or something I would get in? Or will it mean that I'll just have a better chance of being accepted based on other applications?

Also I hear (from a current maq student) Macquarie are very lenient with degrees such as this because they offer so many.. Is this true in any regard?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yes, cut offs are inclusive of any bonus points. Most subject bonus points cap at 5 rather 4 though. I just checked and that also includes Macquarie, BUT to be eligible for subject bonus points you need to get atleast 72.55.

Lenient in terms of what?

RishBonjour

HSC
Hey guys, I was wondering if I wanted to get into a Engineering at UNSW / USYD could I get some bonus points? I think I get 5 bonus points for going to a slow school, but can I get more, say for example if I live in conditions in which it is really hard to study, or difficult to live properly, will I be able to get free points on top of my 5 bonus marks for going to a slow school?
Hi mate,

Yes you can get bonus points at both universities. USYD will mainly be EAS and the flexible entry scheme (I have a friend who got 88 ATAR doing engo at USYD). At UNSW you can also (on top of EAS) get HSC plus points for performing well (band 6/5) in certain subjects e.g. 2 unit maths.
Its not really "free points" - but you can always make up crap and get them.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Will my bonus points for going to a disadvantaged school (5 bonus points) stack with bonus points I get for achieving the required bands in certain courses? If they do I can get 10 bonus points in engineering at UNSW :eek:?

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Hi mate,

Yes you can get bonus points at both universities. USYD will mainly be EAS and the flexible entry scheme (I have a friend who got 88 ATAR doing engo at USYD). At UNSW you can also (on top of EAS) get HSC plus points for performing well (band 6/5) in certain subjects e.g. 2 unit maths.
Its not really "free points" - but you can always make up crap and get them.
Oh okay sweet!

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Usyd Eng with 88 ATAR is easy, unless it's a major with a higher cut off i.e. Civil. I didn't apply for any flexible entry thing (it never used to be automatic with Usyd) and got an offer for Usyd Software Engineering with an atar in the 88s and know people who had ATARs lower than me (some lower 80s) who got the same offers for either 2012 or 2013 entry.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I have a friend who's doing masters of biomedical engineering and she got a 86 ATAR - straight after school. At UNSW, by the way.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
When I go to USYD website to apply for the flexible entry scheme, where they offer bonus points on achieving certain bands for certain subjects, it says applications close January 2013...?
Is this the correct link?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)