Bob Carr Quits (1 Viewer)

ohne

HSC
Asquithian said:
You cant rehearse the argument of the Federal Labor Party.

The state liberals stuggle for policy. They have a total lack of policy. John Brogden is simply reactionary all the bloody time.

Sadly he will probably be the next premier. For me if the Libs were to get in I'd prefer Barry O'Farrel.

----------

I thought it was a bit rich for Nick Griener to criticise Bob Carr. Like didnt he have tor esign because the ICAC found he was corrupt?

He should just go away and remember he got his wife off criminal charges.
Yeah, but after he had resigned it was found that he didn't act inproperly. It had to do with offering Terry Metherell some kind of job in order to resign his (safe liberal) seat after he left the liberal party and became independent. I'm suprised this kind of thing isn't legal anyway, anyone who thinks both major parties don't do this is kidding themself.

Due to dominance of the NSW right, no one from the left faction has a chance, so that rules out Refshauge, Watkins etc. Some of your powerful NSW right figures are:

Michael Costa: May as well put the nails in the coffin if he gets it, completely arrogant style would not go down well with voters. Also a member of the upper house, this would cause a difficult by-election like the one of 1986 when Barrie Unsworth moved between houses.

Carl Scully: Most likely option. Reputation was damaged by the Waterfall train crash when he was transport minister although he seems to have improved his performance since then. Decent profile and personality, has experience across many portfolios.

Morris Iemma: Very low profile minister, could be risky in this sense. Although his reputation has never really been tarnished...even with scandals such as Campbelltown/Camden hospitals. Brogden is a much better orator...Iemma is probably more suited to being a minister than premier.

Craig Knowles: Senior minister and powerful figure although his reputation was severely tarnished after being caught for drink-driving recently. Lost his driver's licence. Also has a slightly arrogant and abrasive style in my opinion. He would probably not be the best option to ensure electoral success for the ALP.

In my opinion Carl Scully is by far the best option and the ALP needs to pick him in order to give themselves the best chance of winning the next election.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
There goes a bunch of flavour. Hopefully he'll drive Kimbo to the top job, then knock him off after a while.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
The IR reform will hand it to them. He'll help them win, surely.

sladehk

le random
HSC
Generator said:
So. What next for Bob Carr? Federal politics isn't an option (he just ruled it out), so I guess that it's off to study American History?
I think he's got enough to spend the rest of his life in leisure

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
The IR reform will hand the election to Labor? Is that what you're trying to say? You appear to be more stupid than I first believed.
Just see if i'm wrong.
Anyway, I dont really think Carr ruled out going federal. He's loyal to Kim and doesnt want to be stewed in Opposition, but I think that after things pick up next election, he'll be around.

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
*me wonders how a discussion on State politics and bob carr, turned into a discussion about Federal Labor and the next federal election*

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
What slide rule said.

Anyway, back to bob, although im a staunch liberal, i will be reluctant to see Carr go. Quite simply most of us on this forum have never known another NSW premier. It will be certainly quite different without him.

In the words of Francis Uruqhart "I've been here so long now that, love me or hate me, it's hard for you to imagine anyone else in my place … isn't it?"

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I believe the nature of politics today is 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it'. I mean there has been alot of hate directed at both Bob Carr and John Howard for various reasons but it seems as if people aren't TOO hateful of them to vote them out. It helps that there really isn't a viable alternative to these two leaders.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
hiphophorray123 said:
good he was a cunt
Haha. That will get you far.

I liked Bobby, I thought he wasn't a bad guy. Even though he may of had a bit of a problem with your trains in the city, he did his bit for Rural NSW...yeah, you know...those bits that are kinda like, more than 2hours drive from the outskirts and ain't Newcastle or Blueys? It does exist...uh huh, the pictures aren't digitally created.
:rolleyes:

Agreed with Asqui about the taxes, why did Brogden bring it up when it is a federal matter and his party are killing *wait for it, Beaze-knees favourite saying* "the battling australian?"

Brogden reminds me of the failed teacher who just cries "Seeeeaaaaatttt Dowwwn" to the kids pegging spitballs at him. Or the acne infested kid that sat up the back and masked his contempt for everything around him by acting supremely arrogant.

I am awaiting Election 2007 (or is 08?) with great anticipation...

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Skillo said:
the acne infested kid that sat up the back and masked his contempt for everything around him by acting supremely arrogant.
shit that sounds just like me

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Well I'd hate to see Brogden as premier. He is such a big whinger, and unfortunately the tv channels always give him plenty of the spotlight as well.
He'll probably win the 2007 election as a result of public discontent rather than through his policies (well what policies, he doesn't have any, he just whinges), unless the new labour leader can establish him/herself. At least Bob Carr has given the new leader plenty of time to settle in and establish him/herself.

Whilst alot of the blame for hospitals and transport has been directed firmly at Bob Carr and the government, some of the problems is partly due to demographics and migration. With an aging population, this has really stretched the health system. And with Sydney's population growing substantially during the last decade, this has put alot of strain on the transport system.
The problems are partly due to mismanagement, but also a lack of investment/funds. And the only way to increase spending (without going into a budget deficit and cutting other spending) is to increase revenue (i.e raise taxes). And I'm sure not alot of people would be too happy with paying more taxes.
So even if the Libs get into power, It'll be interesting to see how they address the problems. Better management of health and transport will not be sufficient to fix the problems, it'll require alot of spending/investment.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
scut said:
and unfortunately the tv channels always give him plenty of the spotlight as well.
haha so you suggest the media just give Zero attention to the person who is the Opposition leader of the state!?

They'll get slaughtered for presenting a one sided, unbalanced view.

oh and It is the job of an opposition leader to be a whinger. That is what they are paid to do.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
awww. Carr is leaving, totally unexpected news, but he will be one of the highly respected fellows in history of politics, done a great job in NSW.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
theone123 said:
awww. Carr is leaving, totally unexpected news, but he will be one of the highly respected fellows in history of politics, done a great job in NSW.
Where has he done a great job in NSW? Sight his achievements please.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
smaller classes, sydney 2000, desalination, health crisis, train crisis, bahh ahaha, i cant think yet.

but a lot of train stations are renovated which is cool.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
anti-mathmite said:
Same. Even if he was unspeakably soft on crime; he wasn't bad for a labor leader.
Erm, not really. I don't know what your idea of "tough on crime" is, but I can assure you the current laws do not need to be any tighter. I hope you haven't fallen prey to the age-old crime wave rhetoric.

Something related and funny --

Mr BROGDEN: My question is to the Premier. The latest statistics from the Judicial Commission show that of the 112 paedophiles sent to gaol in New South Wales since 1995 for sexual intercourse with a child under 10, more than half served 30 months or less. Will the Premier support the Coalition's policy announced today for a compulsory 15-year minimum sentence for this horrendous crime?

Mr CARR: Today we see what happens if inexperienced people try to toy with the Crimes Act. The Leader of the Opposition today announced that he would create a new offence, serial indecent assault of a child under 10. He said he would set a maximum penalty of 20 years-worthy idea. The problem is that the offence already exists-section 66EA of the Crimes Act-and the maximum penalty is 25 years.

- NSW Legislative Assembly Hansard.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Its section 66A not section 66EA...

Moreover this transcript is from 2002 shortly after Mr Brogdens entrance into the leadership.. he has developed since then and the 2003 election...

As we see however Mr Carr also made a mistake, citing the wrong section..

Last edited:

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
The IR reform will hand it to them. He'll help them win, surely.
The electorate have short memories. By three and a half year's time they'll have forgotten that the legislation was ever passed, or if they do remember they'll see that the ACTU's fears were almost completely unfounded. It happens all the time, GST for example.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)