HSC
The Coalition lost '93 on the GST.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
The Coalition lost '93 on the GST.
That's because it was an issue at the time, the fact that they still won the 2001 election, roughly one year after the GST was introduced, shows that the electorate realised that the GST would not be having the huge detrimental effect that was predicted by Labor during both the 93 and 98, or the effect was so small they forgot that it existed in favour of, imo, less pertinent things to the Australian people's day to day lives such as Tampa.

persephone

HSC
I don't know much about politics. But I like Bob Carr. And he is the only NSW premier that I know and he seems like a good person. I don't like those people trying to get his job though. They look mean.

K

katie_tully

I pity the poor fool who takes the job and has to clean up Carrs mess.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Where has he done a great job in NSW? Sight his achievements please.
cite.

creation of national parks, Sydney Olympics, good governance. however, least popular premier and some bungles in edu and health.

K

katie_tully

cherryblossom said:
creation of national parks, Sydney Olympics, good governance.

some bungles in edu and health.
Yah, coz the Olympics which sent the state broke make up for "some" of the educational and health "bungles"... :rolleyes:

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
katie_tully said:
Yah, coz the Olympics which sent the state broke make up for "some" of the educational and health "bungles"... :rolleyes:
well, he did do some things right, give him credit. no leader is perfect, I'm guessing if he was a Lib you'd be making excuses for him.
the syd olympics pumped a lot of money into the domestic economy and upped tourism.

I pity the poor fool who takes the job and has to clean up Carrs mess.
You would have done better?

K

katie_tully

cherryblossom said:
well, he did do some things right, give him credit. no leader is perfect, I'm guessing if he was a Lib you'd be making excuses for him.
the syd olympics pumped a lot of money into the domestic economy and upped tourism.
It didn't do nearly half as much for Sydney's tourism as they expected. The only thing that benefited from the Olympics was the private sector. Tax payers didn't pay for the Olympics, ohhh no, instead they got to pay for the hefty rejuvination of Homebush :rolleyes:

If he was Lib I'd be saying the same thing. But obviously he isn't lib, if he was he wouldn't have been such a twat.

You would have done better?
Good call. I shall answer it. I'm Liberal. Of course I could have done better as many premiers before him have done better.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
cherryblossom said:
cite.

creation of national parks, Sydney Olympics, good governance. however, least popular premier and some bungles in edu and health.
Good point, I should watch my spelling. My hat goes off to you spellmaster.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
frog12986 said:
...this transcript is from 2002 shortly after Mr Brogdens entrance into the leadership.. he has developed since then and the 2003 election...
Yes he has really "blossomed" since then hasn't he. Ostensibly Broggers does nothing but whinge! He never puts forward actual positive, new ideas to the public -- all he does is criticise.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Yes he has really "blossomed" since then hasn't he. Ostensibly Broggers does nothing but whinge! He never puts forward actual positive, new ideas to the public -- all he does is criticise.
The main problem I have with criticism (where you don't put forward your own idea) is that it leaves some rather scary questions as to what your plans may really be (obviously not something you want us to know).

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Least popular premier isn't fair.
On a different note, I can't imagine Leetom taking this very well.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
LOL NSW has no leaders, they are pretty pathetic apart from Carr. Liberal complaining about transport i doubt they can fix it, but if they promise they will (which wont happen) i will vote for them.

NSW is screwed!

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
HotShot... don't vote for people on 'promises'

It's just like being a guy who buys the multipurpose slicer from Good Morning Australia because he is getting a 'free' decorative cutter attachment...

Try realities first.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I would've thought that Brogden's looks were the only political thing going for him?
But in the same vein, Carr's looks went for him (i.e it hurt the opposition when they said/implied he looked funny).
I think that an incapacity for facial expression is a prereq to win

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Just vote for whoever looks better... brogdon isn't exactly hot, so I put labor in with a chance.
Brogden is rather charismatic for a politician

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
That's the thing, he is supposedly a small L liberal. One would never know it. But he has written things like this for example:
We must ensure that all our actions in government and our policies in opposition are consistently liberal, not a hybrid of economic liberalism and social conservatism. This uneasy combination dilutes the Australian Liberal tradition and confuses our message.
Which seemingly asks for a less socially conservative agenda..

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I suppose the Young Libs did speak out against him being too soft and too left for their liking, but I think that's a reflection as to skewed stance of the current hierarchy of the young Liberals rather than anything to say about Brogden's liberalism

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)