Bob Carr Quits (1 Viewer)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
there is just something about Broggers that, for me, makes him very very unlikeable. I don't know it could be his smarmyness.
Yeh he definitely has some smarminess going, not as much as Costello pre-AntiSmirk training, but its there

I sort of think its more me listening to what he's saying and just seeing it as empty rhetoric rather than anything that makes much of a point

K

katie_tully

Brogden would charm my pants off, but that's only based on the premise that he doesn't open his mouth.

K

katie_tully

That's probably why he is so angry and whiney. He isn't terribly good looking, but he sort of...I don't know, he could probably dine and wine you. But as I said, only if he didnt talk.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Well looks like our next premier is Iemma

Premiership is yours, Scully tells Iemma

NSW Police Minister Carl Scully has pulled out of the contest to replace Bob Carr as premier.

Mr Scully said he would not be a candidate for the state Labor leadership when the party's parliamentary caucus meets on Tuesday.

Health Minister Morris Iemma is now almost certain to win the caucus ballot.

Mr Scully today said he had realised after consultation with his party colleagues he did not have enough support to win the party leadership.

``In the interest of party unity I will not be a candidate for the leadership in NSW,'' he told reporters.''

Mr Scully said it was now clear Mr Iemma would be the next premier of NSW.

He said he had rung Mr Iemma to tell him of his decision to pull out of the caucus ballot.

``My colleagues have made it clear to me that I am unlikely to win a leadership ballot against my friend Morris Iemma,'' Mr Scully said.

``As Morris and I were the only announced candidates, that means, as a result of me not proceeding to a ballot in this matter, Morris Iemma will become the next premier of NSW.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

``And I want to be the first to congratulate Morris Iemma, premier of this state.''

Mr Scully said Mr Iemma would have his 100 per cent loyalty and support.

``You can be assured of my full commitment to helping Morris Iemma become a successful premier and to win the election in 2007,'' he said.

Mr Scully yesterday promised he would run in the caucus ballot even if the only vote he got was his own.

But after canvassing his colleagues, Mr Scully said he had formed the view today there was no point in him running because he did not have enough support.
``I think there is little point in having a ballot when we know the result today,'' he said.
``This is not about Carl Scully, this is about the Labor Party and it's about their opinion.''

AAP

Generator

HSC
N/A
Deus said:
Well looks like our next premier is Iemma
All hail the factions and backroom powerbrokers!

That Dr Refshauge's position as Treasurer may well be under threat (with his position as deputy and member for Marrickville safe for the moment, it seems) is somewhat worrying, too. Then again, it's the ALP (under the influence of the NSW Right), so I guess that there is no reason to be surprised.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
anti-mathmite said:
No he isn't charismatic, he is a moron who tries to say what he thinks people will like; and if he expects people to be stupid enough to think "OH yeh, I like what Brogden's saying, I’m sure he really means it, lets vote for him" then he is mistaken. Everyone can see through him- He isn't anything *special*- and most New S Welsh think "i could do a better job". People like Carr stood out.
I said he's not bad looking for a politician. He can still be a moron, as it were.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
okay does anyone know anything about Morris Iemma? i've never heard of him before this thread opened.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
hmmm hes only held a senior cabinet position for 2 years (health)

And even I really dont know much about Iemma. I knew the name, but wouldnt have being able to attach a face to the name before 2 days ago......

No many people know much about him, he is quite the unknown. But then again, on stateline they asked some guy if they knew who bob carr was....the answer was nope.

Last edited:

transcendent

HSC
N/A
i didn't know who Bob Carr was until he came to a Moon Festival in my suburb around 1999 i think.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I have no idea why Refshauge didnt have a crack.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Chyeah.
I dont like the nsw scene very much anyway. It's more pompus/old world establishment driven - what with their cuff links and sandstone

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Iemma doesn't like the media much, he is really going to have to get out there and get himself a public profile to get any kind of support.

Maybe we should take it as a sign that he hasn't made any big screw ups lately and that is why we don't know his name....

Generator

HSC
N/A
http://www.abc.net.au/stateline/nsw/content/2005/s1426222.htm

QUENTIN DEMPSTER: Morris Iemma fronted the media late this afternoon when it was clear that he'd be elected unopposed as leader of the parliamentary Labor Party. The only other possible contender, the Lefts John Watkins, currently the Transport Minister indicated he wouldn't challenge for the leadership. Morris Iemma was up. But that wasn't the case this morning when Mr Iemma visited St George Hospital for a scheduled announcement about surgeon recruitment. Morris Iemma will be the next Premier of NSW, but he didn't know it at 10 o'clock this morning.

MORRIS IEMMA, HEALTH MINISTER: I thought you were interested in the training, but not quite as interested as this.

QUENTIN DEMPSTER: With backing from party heavyweights, Mr Iemma seemed confident, but stone-walled his way through a bizarre rendezvous with the media.

MORRIS IEMMA: Win, lose or draw on Tuesday, I'll be available to answer all of your questions.

QUENTIN DEMPSTER: The minister's minders didn't intervene, as we all packed into a lift which soon became overloaded. Mr Iemma was trapped.

REPORTER: Do you think you'll bring sparkle to the government?

MORRIS IEMMA: I think I've already answered that. I'm really --

REPORTER: But sparkling in particular, is that something you bring?

MORRIS IEMMA: I'm pleased that you are interested in our next phase of training more surgeons for our hospital. I didn't think you were this interested.

QUENTIN DEMPSTER: Eventualy he escaped from the lift.

REPORTER: Are you happy that Mr Tripodi and Obeid are backing you, does that make your task easier?

MORRIS IEMAA: I'm encouraged.

QUENTIN DEMPSTER: With Carl Scully's withdrawal late this afternoon Morris Iemma was preparing to have greatness thrust upon him.

MORRIS IEMMA: I'd like to pay tribute to Carl who's been a friend and continues to be a friend and colleague and in his telephone call to me pledged to work with me in the government for the re-election of the Labor Government and he's a valued colleague and we'll be working very closely with me and he's also a friend. I've got a lot of plans and a lot of ideas and I want to share those with you on Tuesday. There's a process that still has to be complete. I wouldn't have nominated if I didn't have a clear view of plans and the way forward.

REPORTER: Can you give just a hint of those ideas?

MORRIS IEMMA: Well, I think - I just asked that you be a bit patient about that. I wouldn't have nominated if I obviously didn't have a clear view about those plans and those ideas.

REPORTER: What's your top priority? Is it the trains?

MORRIS IEMMA: Well, obviously the issues that are important to the people of NSW. That's one of those. And health, although I won't be the Health Minister, will continue to be one of the top priorities.

REPORTER: Mr Iemma, what does this actually mean to you personally?

MORRIS IEMMA: Well, this is a great honour and privilege and I say that with the process complete on Tuesday. There is still a ballot.

REPORTER: Mr Iemma, what role did the Labor Party head office play in ensuring that you're the only candidate now for the Premiership?

MORRIS IEMMA: No deals have been done and I can assure you that no commitments were sought and no commitments have been made.

REPORTER: Mr Iemma, can you just tell us something personally about how you're feeling about the week that was?

MORRIS IEMMA: I can tell you I haven't seen a lot of my children this week, so I'm looking forward to going home and spending some time with my wife and four children.

REPORTER: Are you worried you won't see more of your children over the next few years?

MORRIS IEMMA: Well, I can tell you I'm a father and a husband first. I'm going to - if I'm elected on Tuesday, if there are no other candidates or if there's another nomination and I'm elected - I'm going to work very hard and do the best job I can for the people of NSW. At the end of the day, that's why I've nominated for the position and why I want to be Premier - to do the best for them. To do the best for them. So I'll be give the job my full energy and absolute commitment. But I'm also a husband and father first and most of all tonight I'm going to look forward to going home and spending time with my four kids and wife. You can't fill Bob's shoes. 17 years as a leader. He's been one of the outstanding Labor figures in Labor history. His shoes can't be filled. But I, like all premiers, again if I'm elected on Tuesday, want to put my stamp on the government with a clear view of the way forward, put my stamp on the government with a clear view of the way forward and I look forward to doing that and sharing it with you on Tuesday. Thanks a lot.
The other stateline transcripts from last night's programme may be of interest, too.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
transcendent said:
okay does anyone know anything about Morris Iemma? i've never heard of him before this thread opened.
yea i know him, he is the health minister, u see him in a few press conferences about the hiealth crisis and all, and a local MP for Lakemba.

Generator

HSC
N/A
theone123 said:
yea i know him, he is the health minister, u see him in a few press conferences about the hiealth crisis and all, and a local MP for Lakemba.
Where would we be without you, theone123?

tasha1188

Forever is overrated!!
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
Fuck, he seems like a shifty bastard. Wait, he's a politician.
lol....whoz the new premier of NSW?...i rkn carr will be the best premiere the state has ever had...or mayb coz he is the ony new premier ive eva known :p

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
tasha1188 said:
lol....whoz the new premier of NSW?...i rkn carr will be the best premiere the state has ever had...or mayb coz he is the ony new premier ive eva known :p
Morris Iemma!

As for your last comment, it goes nicely with the Urquhart quote i mentioned earlier

"I've been here so long now that, love me or hate me, it's hard for you to imagine anyone else in my place … isn't it?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)