Biology? Are you ready? (1 Viewer)

uirate

HSC
Anyone have any questions about bio they need help with?
yes actually, if you don't mind explaining the importance of the work of:
- james watson
- francis crick
- rosalind franklin
- maurice wilkins.

thanks

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
Morgan, and the two other chromosome guys, who are they and what did they do?
Morgan worked with fruit flies to demonstrate sex linked characteristics.

Boveri worked with sea urchins and showed that chromosomes were not all the same and a full compliment was required for the normal functioning of an organism.

Sutton worked with grass hoppers and showed that chromosomes were distinct entities and carriers of hereditary units.

In a nut shell :)

uirate said:
- james watson
- francis crick
- rosalind franklin
- maurice wilkins.
Franklin produced the worlds best x-ray crystalography image of DNA.

Watson and Crick understood most about DNA that they were composed of genes (composed of phosphate and sugar group and nitrogen bases (adenine + Thyamine and Guanine and Cytosine) however they couldn't get the structure right.

Wilkins provided Watson and Crick with a copy of Wilkins X-ray image she produced without acknowledging her and as a result they were able to first correctly model the structure of DNA (and won the nobel prize).

Franklin died on cancer as a result of extensive work with x-rays and went unacknowledged (until now :D)

Last edited:

catalyst91

HSC
- james watson
- francis crick
- rosalind franklin
- maurice wilkins.

thanks
- james watson
- francis crick
- rosalind franklin
- maurice wilkins.

Watson and Crick - they knew the chemical nature of DNA. I.e. Adenine, Guanine, Cytosine, Thymine.
But they didn't know what the structure was.
Franklin did X-Ray crystallography to find the structure of DNA (double helix) and Wilkins helped her + gave Watson and Crick the pictures.

All their work thus provided a model for DNA.
Hope that helped!

lockedbox

HSC

Boveri worked with sea urchins and showed that chromosomes were not all the same and a full compliment was required for the normal functioning of an organism.

Sutton worked with grass hoppers and showed that chromosomes were distinct entities and carriers of hereditary units.

Was my teacher the only one to take great enjoyment on describing how Sutton got the chromosomes out of the grass hoppers, complete with diagrams?

catalyst91

HSC

Franklin produced the worlds best x-ray crystalography image of DNA.

Watson and Crick understood most about DNA that they were composed of chromosomes (deoxyribose nuclericacid) and genes (composed of phosphate and sugar group and nitrogen bases (adenine + Thyamine and Guanine and Cytosine) however they couldn't get the structure right.

Wilkins provided Watson and Crick with a copy of Wilkins X-ray image she produced without acknowledging her and as a result they were able to first correctly model the structure of DNA (and won the nobel prize).

Franklin died on cancer as a result of extensive work with x-rays and went unacknowledged (until now :D)
Whoops, didn't see this before I posted ><
Good coverage

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry I edited my post: I was being stupid remove this "that they were composed of chromosomes (deoxyribose nuclericacid) "

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
Was my teacher the only one to take great enjoyment on describing how Sutton got the chromosomes out of the grass hoppers, complete with diagrams?
Apparently? xD I don't aim to understand, I aim to cram in bio and just blurt it out :D

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
All set for Biology except for a few topics. As long as it doesn't have a lot of questions on plants for Maintaining a Balance and preventing the spread of disease and quarantine for Search for Better Health. And if the questions for the Human Story is like what I got on my school's trial paper (dating techniques, scientists and their contribution), then I'm set for that. Here's hoping for a raw band 6!

carmenleung1

HSC
Haha nice yea wish I was that confident ! Raw band 6 would be nice.
Are you guys going to sleep soon or are any of you planning to pull all nighters like someone suggested a few pages before? I reckon sleep is good, don't deny yourself rest :)

catalyst91

HSC
Haha nice yea wish I was that confident ! Raw band 6 would be nice.
Are you guys going to sleep soon or are any of you planning to pull all nighters like someone suggested a few pages before? I reckon sleep is good, don't deny yourself rest :)
I agree, I make really silly mistakes when I don't get enough sleep.
imo everyone should have a good rest, but seeing as some people are too stressed and don't end up sleeping anyway...might as well study I suppose! That will probably put you to sleep haha

I have a gut feeling BOS is gonna be a bitch to us :(
Yeah hey, I have that feeling too :|

Last edited:

carmenleung1

HSC
I have a gut feeling BOS is gonna be a bitch to us :(
Haha yea same... Gathering from the previous exams they seem to like making us suffer. Oh well, tomorrows the day where I can finally celebrate the end of biological study! Weeoooooooow

HSC
So... I think I won't be pulling the all nighter

All that's left to study is some shit from communication

Band 6 bio hopefully :')

HSC
Thankfully I didn't do the 2010 paper for bio... I absolutely hated the short answer section :s

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Thankfully I didn't do the 2010 paper for bio... I absolutely hated the short answer section :s
I just did it then. So easy. Apart from the "awaiting copyright" bits. Haha
I finished with 45 minutes to go and I took off 45 minutes originally because of all the "awaiting copyright" shit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)