Belonging - Related Texts!!!! (1 Viewer)

tinker_bell

HSC
Got an assignment on belonging, have to do 4 texts.
Have a novel ~ The Namesake
Need a film, poem, song, tv show. etc.
is hating allison ashley a good choice 4 the movie??

daring-to-dream

HSC
for a song, you could use pearl jams Jeremy, or creep by radiohead
interview with the vampire, either the novel or the movie are good choices
tim burtons corpse bride is also a good film, if you wanted to focus on not belonging.

:shy::shy:

extra123

HSC
forrest gump is a good choice for a movie. might want to also consider lost in translation as a portrayal of alienation

leBRON_

HSC
I have a similar assignment but I only need 3 texts
Hating Alison Ashley is pretty good in my opinion, havent seen it in a while, but both the book and movie should be ok i reckon
Does anyone here think Titanic is a good movie for belonging? Was considering using it...:p

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Have a look at Harvie Krumpet it is a brilliant one

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I had a speech assessment which only needed the in class text, The Namesake and in addition, a supplementary text in which I used Glee (in particular the eighth episode - Mash Up).

It was a 6-7 minute speech, so they wanted detail :).

My other related text is a picture book by Shaun Tan.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Aqua was it "The Arrival" by any chance?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Don't do The Arrival.....so many kids are using it. Steer clear unless you can do so well that you put the rest of the kids to shame.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Steer clear unless you can do so well that you put the rest of the kids to shame.</SPAN>
Which is unlikely, as most people with these types of analytical skills are not doing the text.

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
I've found that little miss sunshine is a good visual text for belonging, lots of techniques

kanux

HSC
I did Little Miss Sunshine for film and Lord of the Flies for novel.
Only prepared 2 related, the 3rd one would've been the "Life Cycle" by Bruce Dawe (poem).

Schoey93

HSC
I have a similar assignment but I only need 3 texts
Hating Alison Ashley is pretty good in my opinion, havent seen it in a while, but both the book and movie should be ok i reckon
Does anyone here think Titanic is a good movie for belonging? Was considering using it...:p
Yes, of course it is. But judging by the emote I would say that you already know Titanic is rather sensationalised or, to put it better, melodramatic. That doesn't mean it doesn't have themes in it relevant to belonging. I say: use it if you know how to analyse well, but there are much easier, more enjoyable texts (I.M.O.) that you could use. Here are some:

Harding, J. (2005) One Big Damn Puzzler (first published in the UK)
Hornby, N. (1993) About a Boy

The film of About a Boy starring Hugh Grant is excellent too, although I preferred the film my head created whilst reading the book to the actual motion picture... somehow you just can't capture human imagination in a camera! :) [The film Avatar may prove me wrong though, can't wait to see it!]

Last edited:

coorong

HSC
The Castle

definately the best choice possible for a film.
There are so many good quotes.

ac0usticx_

HSC
i have a speech on belonging too. Ive heard that the kite runner is a good text/film to choose.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The Castle

definately the best choice possible for a film.
There are so many good quotes.
Except is was done as a prescribed text in the Retreat From The Global EX1 module. Examiners look down upon using previous BOS texts.

Elbelshel

HSC
For a visual try the film version of 'The Secret Life of Bees'. It deals really well with belonging and is really easy to link with 'The Namesake' as it deals with cultural belonging and the formation of belonging through relationships. It also has the motif of the name and similar symbols to 'The Namesake'

luv2luvurmama

HSC
I did redtube. You see, the black people, are doing it together, this is characterised by the black flesh. I forgot the rest, ill email it to who ever wants my essay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)