band 6 cutoff (1 Viewer)

sam_account

HSC
above 115 pretty sure..but that's no use..since like at least 30 ppl i reckon in state would get above me!!!! i was hoping for 98% scaled but i don't know anymore

Kutay

University
HSC
i missed 5marks worth of questions like didn't attempt because i didn't see and question 10 not sure if i will get any marks
and not confident i most
thinking i will get maybe 90 out of 120!!! could that be a band 6 ?or even maybe 85 to 90

chin music

HSC
N/A
Ummmmmmmm are u guys sure about all this. Im sure 73/120 didnt get a band 6 in 03!!!!!!!!! If it did then the cutoff this year would be around 70/120. Id like to believe all of u but i got around 100-105/120 and ill be surprised if that makes a band 6.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
sam_account said:
above 115 pretty sure..but that's no use..since like at least 30 ppl i reckon in state would get above me!!!! i was hoping for 98% scaled but i don't know anymore
If ur confident u'll get above 115 then theres prolly a 95% chance u'll get an aligned mark of 98%... I think a 115-116 RAW would equate to a 98%...

If a state ranking is what u were hoping for, u may very well be within the reach of a top 20 state ranking with a mark of 116-117 and above...

however, by the sounds of things I can probably assume that 30+ ppl would have achieved a RAW mark of 115+/120... at least 3-4 ppl on Bos (posters that is)expect 115+...

meh Im just kicking myself , looking at the exam again, I just realised how easy some of the question were (those for which i ran out of time to even attempt)...

Now that i look at the exam again with a fresh perspective, It wasn't so bad, But it was harder/longer than previous yrs...longer more so than being harder IMO.

Alot of ppl had more difficulty with time managemnt more so than being able to do the questions themselves.

however, this exam was extremely effective in the way it seperated the top 10% of the state from the rest of the student cohort...U'll find only a small percentage would have achieved between 95-105/120.... I'd say most would've probably achieved either below 95/120 or above 105/120...comparatively not many would be between that 10 mark gap (comparatively being the key word)...but then again thats what ive merely been able to conclude from what everyone ive spoken to has said!!!

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
chin music said:
Ummmmmmmm are u guys sure about all this. Im sure 73/120 didnt get a band 6 in 03!!!!!!!!! If it did then the cutoff this year would be around 70/120. Id like to believe all of u but i got around 100-105/120 and ill be surprised if that makes a band 6.
A mark of 73/120 got aligned to a mark of 82% in 2003 not a band 6!
a band 6 in 2003 was prolly mid 90's/120

volition

arr.
HSC
Trippendicular said:
How can such low raw marks correspond to such high hsc marks? According to the solutions posted here I'll lose between 3 to 6 marks out of 120 yet a raw mark of around 100 (approximately 83%) can equate to a 94 hsc mark?

Say I get 95%, where does that put me compared to people getting 94 for a low 80s raw mark?
I'll have a guess at this. My guess is that it's not so hard to get a low 90s, but to get better than low 90s it 'costs' more and more raw marks to get more scaled marks(kind of like a diminishing returns thing in economics). I say this because the raw band cut off is often quite low (83% as you say), and yet the people who end up getting around 98 or 99 actually DO score close to that percentage.

I guess that the board has a set of 'corresponding' exam aligned marks to exam raw marks and people just 'slot in' to whatever corresponds to the raw mark they got.

I remember one of my friends telling me that based on the performance of his two older brothers, it seemed as though getting a higher 90s was much better than getting a low 90s and as I said earlier a high mark will 'cost more' raw marks than a low 90s. I reckon this is true because the UAC take your exam raw marks, which could be why it is 'comparatively' better to get a mid to high 90s rather than a low 90s because you need more raw marks to get it.

But, I will tell you that all of this is just guesswork, so take this with a grain of salt. Too many people on here say things as though what they are saying is the 'definitive' version of what happens.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I personally don't understand why people are worrying... there's very little one can do to change things now- all that's left is the BoS and so on have to do what they do to give us our UAI^^

volition

arr.
HSC
People are probably just curious about how it all works. I know I am

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Anyway it's wrong.

The Band 6 cutoff last year would have been in the low 90's.

Based on the few raw marks released.

Not that it means much, don't worry about it and relax.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)