B Engineering/B Laws (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
So I was just gonna do engineering but found out I can combine it with law at UNSW, seems like a weird combination to me :S

I sorta have an interest in law (not really), do these two courses really complement each other in any way?

Can I just do law and drop it later if I end up hating it?

enoilgam

HSC
So I was just gonna do engineering but found out I can combine it with law at UNSW, seems like a weird combination to me :S

I sorta have an interest in law (not really), do these two courses really complement each other in any way?

Can I just do law and drop it later if I end up hating it?
It would probably be a good idea to drop one during your degree, as engineering and law is quite a heavy workload. Also, it isnt a very useful combination unless you do something like patents. If your really not into law or you dont have an interest in it, then it can be extremely boring and difficult. Make sure that if you choose law, you choose it because its what you want to do and not because of the prestige or simply because you have the ATAR to do it.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
It would probably be a good idea to drop one during your degree, as engineering and law is quite a heavy workload. Also, it isnt a very useful combination unless you do something like patents. If your really not into law or you dont have an interest in it, then it can be extremely boring and difficult. Make sure that if you choose law, you choose it because its what you want to do and not because of the prestige or simply because you have the ATAR to do it.
you have to do a double degree with law at unsw, so you can't drop engineering but you could probably transfer to something else like commerce of science

HSC
Uni Grad
or simply because you have the ATAR to do it.
Pretty much the only reason lol, but I don't know if I hate law or find it boring because I've never done anything like it (like HSC Legal Studies etc.). Perhaps it may interest me? Who knows...

deterministic

HSC
Not really related I think.

Although you said you have an interest in law, but you need to ask yourself whether it is worth the extra 1.5 years of study.

Pyrobooby

HSC
I'm basically in the same position (I'm assuming you were nominated for the AAA?) but am contemplating science/law as engineering/law seemed much too long to handle.

boris

Banned
HSC
dont listen to these retards bro
it will be very handy and they will compliment each other nicely
you are smart enough to head into management of large projects/contract management etc ($250k+) and law will be a massive help
the only thing you would need to think about is whether its worth it to do it now, or get a few years engineering under your belt then bang out a law degree later on when you are a bit older/wiser, instead of taking on the larger workload now and risk burning out

polpe

HSC
Isnt the cut off for engo/law like over 99 or something

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
dont listen to these retards bro
it will be very handy and they will compliment each other nicely
you are smart enough to head into management of large projects/contract management etc ($250k+) and law will be a massive help
the only thing you would need to think about is whether its worth it to do it now, or get a few years engineering under your belt then bang out a law degree later on when you are a bit older/wiser, instead of taking on the larger workload now and risk burning out
This is quite a good post. A lot of people who try to figure out what they will do after they complete a combined degree always try to look at jobs which explicitly require both areas of expertise. I have found that many people who did Engineering as an undergraduate did their thing and then picked up a knowledge of Economics on the way so a lot of the people who were engineers run consultancy firms which focus on advising clients rather than actually undertaking projects.

As enoilgam mentioned though, don't do Law if you have a low level of interest in it. Without a good amount of experience, it is very difficult to make it in Law as an undergraduate and as such universities require combined degrees. You mentioned that your interest in Law is undecided at this point in time so I would be hesitant in recommending you do B Eng/Law. As quite a few other people have mentioned, stick with Engineering and major in what ever you wish to do and then you can pick up Law after you have picked up experience within your field.

D94

HSC
N/A
On the UNSW Open Day, I asked the Law professor how many people do the BE LLB and he said there was like around 6 students, so it's not that common and I think it would be safe to assume that those students are great time managers as well. But he did say that you'd be in great demand because of your (apparent) skills in technical, analytic and decision making.

In the short term, BE LLB is just as useless as BE BCom and BE BA. BE LLB is 6.5 year full time (from 2012). A BE is 4 years and LLB is 3 years, so you don't really benefit from the combination, unlike the other combinations where 1.5-2 years are cut down. They would only really complement you if you intend on going into management, patents, HR, higher end contract signing etc.. In all seriousness, if you do intend on going into those facets of engineering, experience is key, so whilst you may have that LLB degree in the bag, you won't be using it until you have experience and probably even a CPEng for larger companies. Because you don't really benefit from the combined degree, you may as well do a JD later on if you do want to go into said careers, or a MBA for management.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)