Australia vs Rest of the World (cricket) (1 Viewer)

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
One bad over shouldn't overlook a year and a half of excellent performances.

Kasper definitely deserves his spot in the Test team at least. Brett bowled well but it'd be harsh to drop Michael after his brilliant work this year in India and Sri Lanka in particular.

HSC
I find it funny how confident so many Australian fans are that they would dominate a world XI in both forms of the game, just because they got lucky against a struggling Indian side and smashed a shithouse NZ side 2-0...

Then a few days later they lose to NZ in a one dayer. Sure Mcgrath and Gillespie would have made a difference with the ball, but they would probably also have meant less runs (yes I do know they can score half centuries now). And come on, look at the NZ side. Now compare it to a World XI. Bring on that series, and lets hope players are picked on form, there is nothing I would enjoy more than seeing Australia get absolutely smashed, anything to get rid of that cockiness that seems to be instilled.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
One narrow loss, mainly due to a couple of bad overs and without our two strike pacemen?

Meh, we're easily the best in the world in both forms of the game and on the big stage a World XI would struggle to match what we have.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I think Australia should seriously consider either dropping Clarke or Watson and adding an extra genuine bowler. Too many batsmen is often more damaging than beneficial. Clarke, although awesome in Test matches, has not been going as great in one dayers. I would keep Watson mainly because he adds more to the bowling than Clarke, for the batting side the players they have are plenty.

max

That which u feel becomes
HSC
ac I disagree there.
Dropping Clarke is a big mistake as his contributions belie that of Martyn or Watson. Martyn's days are numbered IMO.
Yes, Watson is a handy change bowler, and the back of a loss without McGrath and Gillespie, any talk of virulent reshuffle is just acknowledging the storm in a teacup.
If Australia had won there would likely be no such opinion.
Perhaps due to the rotation system these players may indeed take a rest, but I can't see any cause for concern.
I do however question Hogg's role in the squad. He has plenty going for him, but do you see a better spin/slow bowling option? I know I do.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
World XI is in october next year i think

And if australia had won i would still have thought they should drop one batsman mainly because it has an impact on their batting performance which was pretty poor other than Gilchrist

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Why is that? This year Australia lost 1 and drew 3 test matches and lost 5 one day matches. They drew 1 test series (vs India in Australia 1-1), lost the ICC champions trophy in England and are one step away from losing the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy against New Zealand. Overall this year they have been the best test team but new zealand will most likely take the crown for best one day team (even if you dont include games against crap teams).

edit: referring to Argonauts post

furryfish

1337 h4x0r
HSC
acmilan said:
Sometime next year the first place team(or teams) will be playing the rest of the world here in Australia. Undoubtedly the first place team in both forms will be Australia...the question is who should make up the rest of the world team. The team will be picked based on the rankings at the time of picking and if that was right now the teams would be:

Test
1. HH Gibbs (South Africa, ranked 10 for batting)
2. ME Trescothick (England, 8 for batting)
3. R Dravid (India, 3 for batting)
4. BC Lara (West Indies, 2 for batting)
5. SR Tendulkar (India, 6 for batting)/ Izamam ul-Haq (Pakistan, 5 for batting) <---very close on these two
6. JH Kallis (South Africa, 9 for batting, 7 for bowling)
7. KC Sangakkara (Sri Lanka, out of top 10 for batting but best non-Australian wicket keeper)
8. SM Pollock (South Africa, 1 for bowling)
9. Shoaib Akhtar (Pakistan, 5 for bowling)
10. Harbhajan Singh (India, 6 for bowling) <----- M Ntini (South Africa, 10 for bowling) if they chose to have only 1 spinner)
11. M Muralitharan (Sri Lanka, 2 for bowling)

One Day
1. SR Tendulkar (India, ranked 1 for batting)
2. ME Trescothick (England, 9 for batting)
3. BC Lara (West Indies, 4 for batting)
4. CH Gayle (West Indies, 7 for batting)
5. Yousuf Youhana (Pakistan, 3 for batting)
6. JH Kallis (South Africa, 6 for batting, out of top 10 for bowling)
7. KC Sangakkara (Sri Lanka, best non-Australia wicket keeper)
8. SM Pollock (South Africa, 1 for bowling)
9. WPUJC Vaas (Sri Lanka, 5 for bowling)
10. M Ntini (South Africa, 7 for bowling)
11. M Muralitharan (Sri Lanka, 2 for bowling)

Overall they are both pretty good representation for the rest of the world. I would perhaps like to see someone who bats with a little more flair, such as Sehwag, to perhaps give a little more entertainment... but by that time he may well be highly ranked in the world.

Discuss

harmison instead of pollock, and freddy flintoff instead of youhana

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
furryfish said:
harmison instead of pollock, and freddy flintoff instead of youhana
Yeh that wasnt my team, just what the team would be if they picked it now. Personally i would definately pick flintoff

budj

HSC
In res[onse to furry fish. I think I'll replace N Ntini with Flintoff, and yes, youhana with flintoff. Probably i'd put Sehwag instead of trescothik, actually no..maybe...where is this taking place?

budj

HSC
blackfriday said:
never let kasprowicz play another one-dayer.
Yeah he did crash under pressure didn't he. Who do you rekon in those conditions you would of replaced him wit.I'd prolly replace him with Braken, check out his form dude, wow... a seven faa....

But next match Glen mcgrath and gillespie are back arent they. That would make aloto difference. Even with batting, with mcgrath and gillespie in somefine form, even better than some of the kiwis, lol

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
budj said:
Yeah he did crash under pressure didn't he. Who do you rekon in those conditions you would of replaced him wit.I'd prolly replace him with Braken, check out his form dude, wow... a seven faa....

But next match Glen mcgrath and gillespie are back arent they. That would make aloto difference. Even with batting, with mcgrath and gillespie in somefine form, even better than some of the kiwis, lol
But Kasprowicz is doing so good this year apart from one over in the whole year...even better than Gillespie and McGrath. Both Kasprowicz's average and strike rate are below 20 and are the best out of all bowlers this year, he will undoubtedly make team of the year for one dayers

max

That which u feel becomes
HSC
budj said:

Yes, Bracken offers a lot being a left arm paceman, but his form shouldn't be judged purely on his first innings 7-4 against SA.
It is surely wrong to bag Kaspa for 'that over.' - his efforts have been of high standard all year.

Today, expect the likes of Hayden and Symonds to feature among the runs.

My tip: Australia to chase 224 or make 278.

dave_119

Banned
HSC
bracken played for the same junior club i did.. springwood....

he shall play internationals again... this world XI stuff is great for the game, but the team will be changing until next october....

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Nice game, boy i bet the heart was pumping for some aussie supporters when new zealand went from 6/80s to only needing 18 runs from 18 balls with a wicket in hand. It sucks that they couldnt show it in sydney because the scg wasnt sold out, luckily for digital viewers we still got to watch it

Seabiscuit

HSC
About the Aus vs NZ game yesterday.. why was McGrath's name spelt wrongly on his shirt? Was it on purpose or an accident?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)