Australia vs Rest of the World (cricket) (1 Viewer)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Sometime next year the first place team(or teams) will be playing the rest of the world here in Australia. Undoubtedly the first place team in both forms will be Australia...the question is who should make up the rest of the world team. The team will be picked based on the rankings at the time of picking and if that was right now the teams would be:

Test
1. HH Gibbs (South Africa, ranked 10 for batting)
2. ME Trescothick (England, 8 for batting)
3. R Dravid (India, 3 for batting)
4. BC Lara (West Indies, 2 for batting)
5. SR Tendulkar (India, 6 for batting)/ Izamam ul-Haq (Pakistan, 5 for batting) <---very close on these two
6. JH Kallis (South Africa, 9 for batting, 7 for bowling)
7. KC Sangakkara (Sri Lanka, out of top 10 for batting but best non-Australian wicket keeper)
8. SM Pollock (South Africa, 1 for bowling)
9. Shoaib Akhtar (Pakistan, 5 for bowling)
10. Harbhajan Singh (India, 6 for bowling) <----- M Ntini (South Africa, 10 for bowling) if they chose to have only 1 spinner)
11. M Muralitharan (Sri Lanka, 2 for bowling)

One Day
1. SR Tendulkar (India, ranked 1 for batting)
2. ME Trescothick (England, 9 for batting)
3. BC Lara (West Indies, 4 for batting)
4. CH Gayle (West Indies, 7 for batting)
5. Yousuf Youhana (Pakistan, 3 for batting)
6. JH Kallis (South Africa, 6 for batting, out of top 10 for bowling)
7. KC Sangakkara (Sri Lanka, best non-Australia wicket keeper)
8. SM Pollock (South Africa, 1 for bowling)
9. WPUJC Vaas (Sri Lanka, 5 for bowling)
10. M Ntini (South Africa, 7 for bowling)
11. M Muralitharan (Sri Lanka, 2 for bowling)

Overall they are both pretty good representation for the rest of the world. I would perhaps like to see someone who bats with a little more flair, such as Sehwag, to perhaps give a little more entertainment... but by that time he may well be highly ranked in the world.

Discuss

max

That which u feel becomes
HSC
With Wisden and the ECC having a rather large influence in the ICC, expect to see also the likes of Steve Harmison and Mick Vaughan.
Personally, Harmison is the most overrated cricketer on the planet.
The six-day tests are a good idea ensuring both sides get a big chance to exhaust all their opportunities.
Still, I fear the ROW team may still taste humiliation.

max

HSC
oh, yeh, and another guy by the name of Flintoff would surely be there abouts..

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I think Flintoff should definitely be included in atleast one of the teams. As for ECC and Wisden influences, they wont have much because ICC has already made the criteria to pick the players to be based on their rankings in the rankings which i think are officially called the PriceWaterhouse Rankings

I dont think the ROW team will be humiliated, as long as the players become accustomed to each other and cooperate i think this might be a team that not even Australia could beat.

max

HSC
Sure.
It would make awesome viewing - a promoters dream!

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
sounds like it will be a homee series that will actually be a contest for once in a while

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
Um where the hell is michael vaughan , isnt he captain

i dont like these teams , you are right sehwag should probably replace dravid or even tendulkar who has been in shithouse form.
And sangakarra as Wct keeper....
i dunno about that lol , ive seen times where the SA wicket keeper or even that little jumpy guy in india have been beter

oh well wahtever
this just means Australia wins LoL :D

HSC
I think Australia would own in the Test Match, but the One-Dayers I would really put money on the rest of the world.

The only thing that I may think about changing would be maybe replacing Ntini with someone like Pathan. I know that he is abit irratic but he is also a solid batsman and has abit more variety and flare than Ntini.

I think its abit risky to simply pick a side based on world rankings. When are where are these matches at?

Seraph

HSC
N/A
Yes while Ntini can take wickets he is one expensive bowler , he gets smashed and from what i hear he does not even have a slower ball... i mean how long has the guy been bowling for ??? surely.....

And LoL
so Murali is coming down here then after all??

Pace Setter

Seraph said:
And LoL
so Murali is coming down here then after all??
And just listening to the stuff he had to say the other day about the Aussie pace bowlers, the crowds may turn out to be even more friendlier and accomodating than last time around. Expect little Johnny at every match. :p

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I think ROW's secret weapon is JH Kallis. He has been awesome and in my opinion currently the best batsman in both forms. Just look at his stats this year in a year where South Africa are going poorly

One Dayers:

730 runs, 4 fifties, 3 hundreds, 56 average

Tests

879 runs, 5 fifties, 3 hundreds, 88 average, thats not including the 121 he scored 2 days ago in the current game in India

The only players anywhere near him this year are Sehwag, Thorpe and Tendulkar who have test averages of 72 this year. He is also a decent bowler and will undoubtedly contribute if he recovers from his injury

Also about the Sangakkara issue...although he may not be the best wicket keeper, his batting contribution is unrivaled by any other keeper (other than Gilchrist who cant play) with an average this year 55 in tests (including 3 centuries and a top score of 270) and 56 in one dayers. Even Gilchrist is going pretty poorly by his standards this year only averaging 36 in tests and 41 in one dayers

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
My world XI:

Sehwag
Smith
Dravid
Tendulkar
Youhana
Sangakkara
Flintoff
Pollock
Shoaib
Harmison
Murali

The bottom three are useless with the bat, but the top 8 are powerhouses and should get the runs. Balanced bowling attack too, with maybe Harbhajan playing, since it's Australia he's up against.

Won't bother too much about one-day cricket, it's not the real thing as far as i'm concerned.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
illin said:
they already made a team
look at Wisden crickinfo site
its all there
Its hard to say who would win!
Would you happen to have a link because i cant seem to find it in that site?

ZeGoat

brown!
HSC
Seraph said:
Um where the hell is michael vaughan , isnt he captain

i dont like these teams , you are right sehwag should probably replace dravid or even tendulkar who has been in shithouse form.
And sangakarra as Wct keeper....
i dunno about that lol , ive seen times where the SA wicket keeper or even that little jumpy guy in india have been beter

oh well wahtever
this just means Australia wins LoL :D
yeh some otha dude mentioned his battin talent but you would also require a wkt keeper who can pick the direction of murali's bowlin...if u put lyk some other dude, dey wouldnt kno what to do!

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
As for Vaughan, i think he reached his peak when he toured here. This year he has been decent in tests but no where near the likes of Kallis, Tendulkar, Sehwag, Sangakkara etc and he has gone pretty poorly in one dayers

Seraph

HSC
N/A
no but i swear Vaughan was to be named the CAPTAIN of these sides, it was announced officially wtf happened there

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
I havent hear of ythe tema being annouced either, anyways heres mine:

TEST:
sehwag
smith (cpt) (or vaughn...depends on SA vs Eng later)
dravid
lara
kallis
inzi
sangakarra
pollock
shaoib acktar
steve harmisson
murali

no tendulker unless he seriously do a u turn in the next few months cuz he's been shithouse... even dravid is replaceable as he has reverted to stonewalling, but atleast he's got better form. pollock has really declined in the last year or so, and if that trend continues, kumble may be an option.

ONE DAYERS
Tendulker
Gayle
Lara
Kallis
2 from {Ganguly/Youhana/Sarwan}
Sangakarra
Flintoff
Pollock
Vaas
Harmisson
Murali

Perhaps move tendulker to 3 and have jayasuria as openner, leave out ganguly/sarwan/youhana. Harbajan as back up spinner. Ganguly captain if included, if not then lara or tendulker can take over. ok its a pretty screwed up team but 1 dayers are close to being lotteries anyway...

Edit: make that choose one from the 3

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)